Chobani-Is it REALLY that bad...

Options
Personally, I live by the stuff, along with many other people that I know. I eat a container almost every morning for breakfast.

To top all, its delicious.

But I've heard mixed reviews---so how do you feel about it?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of it, along with Fage. What the heck is the problem with it?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Chobani? I love both it and Fage. I eat it every day, too. Does it have to do with the fuss over corn starch or something trivial? If that's the case, meh! It's high protein and delicious. Just don't feed it to your Mogwai after midnight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I treat Chobani as a dessert. A yummy, high-protein dessert with calcium. My favorite is Almond Coco Loco (coconut, dark chocolate & toasted almonds):
    230 calories
    10g fat (90 calories from fat)
    25g carbs
    2g fiber
    12g protein
    calcium 15% DV
    iron 4% DV
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Apparently, its not deemed "healthy" with its ingredients and that the company hasn't passed inspection. Also, the bloating lid thing made them look bad. Personally, I think its all bs from other companies...
  • BeachIron
    Options

Apparently, its not deemed "healthy" with its ingredients and that the company hasn't passed inspection. Also, the bloating lid thing made them look bad. Personally, I think its all bs from other companies...

Oh. Googled it. Whole Foods. The precious, over-priced food phobia supporting zealot chain that it is is phasing out Chobani because of GMO issues? I shop at Publix . . .
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but if you enjoy it and it fits in your calories, why not :D
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used to be a faithful Chobani girl until I discovered the Dannon Light & Fit Greek. For me and my dietary needs it is a better choice as it is way lower in sugar content. Flavor and consistency are fine for both. Sometimes it is a matter of which is on sale. I also have a local farmer who makes goat milk yogurt which is also awesome and I know exactly what is in it. Would much rather support my local farmer!!
  • myou523
    myou523 Posts: 126
    Options
    I love Chobani!

From the things that I've read, the people speaking out against it, are doing so only for profit, and it almost seems like a political smear campaign. But it's not going to change how much I like to eat Chobani :D
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I treat Chobani as a dessert. A yummy, high-protein dessert with calcium. My favorite is Almond Coco Loco (coconut, dark chocolate & toasted almonds):
    230 calories
    10g fat (90 calories from fat)
    25g carbs
    2g fiber
    12g protein
    calcium 15% DV
    iron 4% DV

Same here! That's my favorite, too! And just like you I realized I was inhaling the stuff just like icrecream. Didn't matter whether fruit on the bottom, choco flip or plain. So now just a once in a while treat like any other treat :P
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like the stuff too. It's one of those to each their own things to me to be honest... family gags when I pull out my soy milk but I Really like that and prefer to drink it instead of skim..... which I use in cereal and coffee.
  • Dstrand1
    Dstrand1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Check out this link:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cmeirun/view/homemade-yogurt-crockpot-version-539483

I learned to make my own using this recipe i found on myfitnesspal ...it is very easy and so much less expensive than store bought. You can strain it to make it thick like greek yogurt. I think it tastes better because itis just milk and yogurt ( for cultures)
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Chobani is in trouble for using dairy products from cattle fed GMO grains. The damage caused by GMOs is believed to affect not only those who eat them, but those who eat the flesh or milk of those who eat them.

Whole Foods is dumping Chobani because of the GMO-grain fed cattle who provide the dairy products.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I love it! BUT when I want something less sweet, I go with Siggi's brand. The portion is slightly smaller but, compared ounce for ounce, it's less sugar and carbs and more protein...so I can get 14 grams of protein for 110 calories and 13 carbs, instead of 150 calories and 20 carbs. Those numbers aren't so significant if you have a large calorie budget, but, I don't! And I do love yogurt, so they add up. It's a bit more expensive too, but for me worth it. It's really thick and delicious, though maybe a bit of an acquired taste because it's really a lot less sweet. I mix in a tbsp or 2 of sunflower seeds....heaven!
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    it was said that it had mold init and its a gmo
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    it was said that it had mold init and its a gmo

They had an incident with mold in one batch earlier this year, they did a recall. It was not harmful. I have never had anything but good experiences.

And everything is a gmo.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about GMO, so I can't come down pro or con on the issue. Here's an interesting recent article from The Economist about how maybe the opposition to GMO is a bit of a blind "first world problem" : http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21591176-greens-say-climate-change-deniers-are-unscientific-and-dangerous-so-are-greens-who-oppose-gm

Either way, Chobani makes a good tasty, affordable product, and I don't buy it at Whole Foods anyway! Though I will say that I like Fage better, but the fruity blended varieties are much harder to find (and more expensive).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Oh. Googled it. Whole Foods. The precious, over-priced food phobia supporting zealot chain that it is is phasing out Chobani because of GMO issues? I shop at Publix . . .

As a whole foods shopper, I am glad that someone is taking notice. To each his own. I much prefer Fage plain yoghurt.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

been eating chobani for about a year now and no issues..

don't believe everything you google…maybe you got scroogled?
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It gained a lot of hate after the way they downplayed the bloating lid thing (I stopped eating it for a while but then started again after giving them time to get their stuff together). Also, people don't like the GMOs. For me, I don't mind and I love the flips.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about GMO, so I can't come down pro or con on the issue. Here's an interesting recent article from The Economist about how maybe the opposition to GMO is a bit of a blind "first world problem" : http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21591176-greens-say-climate-change-deniers-are-unscientific-and-dangerous-so-are-greens-who-oppose-gm

Either way, Chobani makes a good tasty, affordable product, and I don't buy it at Whole Foods anyway! Though I will say that I like Fage better, but the fruity blended varieties are much harder to find (and more expensive).

It's definitely a first world problem and the green groups attacking GMOs with unscientific nonsense will cause the continued starvation of millions if they win. It's similar to what they did with DDT and malaria. Political agendas and science rarely mix well.