How Do I Lose My Last 10lbs

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what kind of lifting are you going to be doing..compounds?

I just did my first workout a while ago. (I did StrongLifts 5X5 a year ago) This is what i did today:

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BenchPress on machine 40lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

On Tuesday i will do this:
    Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

nice. not bad.

as long as you are following a progressive overload strength training program, you'll definetly be losing body fat and losing weight.

Dont forget! AND eating at a deficit!

don't eat too much at a deficit though. looking at your stats, i think that you're pretty tall, and if you lower your body fat, you'll probably achieve the body you want, regardless of weight.

this is staci. on the left, she is 131 lbs. on the right, she's actually 142, eleven pounds heavier.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM-1.jpg

read her story: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Great story but not for me to do. She started out very skinny - im not skinny by any means. I don't have the equipment, time or money to be able to go to a gym and work my way up to deadlifting 315lbs. PLUS she looks awesome at 130lbs! She even looked good at 117lbs. With my life, my work out schedule needs to happen at home or to be able to include the baby in it without spending money. I've only got so much stuff in my basement gym. I will say it again, goal is just to lose 10lbs.

way to set yourself up for failure..

but good luck to you ...
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I just did my first workout a while ago. (I did StrongLifts 5X5 a year ago) This is what i did today:

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

nice. not bad.

as long as you are following a progressive overload strength training program, you'll definetly be losing body fat and losing weight.

don't eat too much at a deficit though. looking at your stats, i think that you're pretty tall, and if you lower your body fat, you'll probably achieve the body you want, regardless of weight.

this is staci. on the left, she is 131 lbs. on the right, she's actually 142, eleven pounds heavier.

read her story: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Great story but not for me to do. She started out very skinny - im not skinny by any means. I don't have the equipment, time or money to be able to go to a gym and work my way up to deadlifting 315lbs. PLUS she looks awesome at 130lbs! She even looked good at 117lbs. With my life, my work out schedule needs to happen at home or to be able to include the baby in it without spending money. I've only got so much stuff in my basement gym. I will say it again, goal is just to lose 10lbs.

but good luck to you ...

What? How is eating at a deficit, doing cardio and weight lifting setting me up for failure?
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    when i tried losing my last 10 pounds i put on weight as it was muscle. but i lost two dress sizes in the process. adter that i loat the weight as well
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You keep saying "goal is just to lose 10 pounds," but why? To look better? Then I would say your goal is to look better, in which case as others have noted weight is really just one way of measuring progress toward that goal, and probably not the best one.

I'm pretty close to my original weight goal right now, but what I'm really going for is a particular look and that requires a particular body fat percentage. Weight is really besides the point right now.

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

nice. not bad.

but good luck to you ...

What? How is eating at a deficit, doing cardio and weight lifting setting me up for failure?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

nice. not bad.

but good luck to you ...

because you refuse to take sensible advice from people who have had greater success than you have...
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Here's why we're concerned you are setting yourself up for failure. If ALL you care about is seeing the number on the scale go down, what are you going to do when your scale weight goes up instead? Keep dropping your deficit until you're at such a low intake you're miserable and then binging and quitting?

There's nothing wrong with your plan, are you willing to stick to that plan even if the scale weight goes up at first? Because there is a strong chance that it will...

I just came off a six week plateau of no weight loss. I KNEW it was likely to happen and I STILL had a hard time sticking to my plan. The concern that we have is that you are setting yourself up for an unhealthy mentality by REFUSING to look at any other measures of success other than the number on the scale.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Here's why we're concerned you are setting yourself up for failure. If ALL you care about is seeing the number on the scale go down, what are you going to do when your scale weight goes up instead? Keep dropping your deficit until you're at such a low intake you're miserable and then binging and quitting?

There's nothing wrong with your plan, are you willing to stick to that plan even if the scale weight goes up at first? Because there is a strong chance that it will...

I just came off a six week plateau of no weight loss. I KNEW it was likely to happen and I STILL had a hard time sticking to my plan. The concern that we have is that you are setting yourself up for an unhealthy mentality by REFUSING to look at any other measures of success other than the number on the scale.

Yes I will most certainly be sticking to my plan. Yes I will totally accept the fact if I go up a bit in weight when first starting this. Guess I will just do the plan and see what happens. Sliding the scale way under the bed as i type.......
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Yes I will most certainly be sticking to my plan. Yes I will totally accept the fact if I go up a bit in weight when first starting this. Guess I will just do the plan and see what happens. Sliding the scale way under the bed as i type.......

:flowerforyou: Now take some "start" pictures so that you have something to compare to a month from now!
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Yeppers, pics already done.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

:flowerforyou: Now take some "start" pictures so that you have something to compare to a month from now!

Also wondering how the not caring about the scale weight is working for you. Are you losing now? Is your body changing to look better? Are you almost at goal?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Also wondering how the not caring about the scale weight is working for you. Are you losing now? Is your body changing to look better? Are you almost at goal?

There's nothing wrong with tracking scale weight. I check my scale weight every day and have a wonderful giddy feeling when I see a new low BUT I also don't (or try not to) let it upset me when the scale doesn't move because I know it's not the only thing that matters.

I'm still 18 pounds from my goal weight of 160 BUT I may stop with the weight loss entirely at 170 and just start focusing on doing a recomp to drop body fat. I know it's probably going to take me MONTHS to get down to 170, and 160 may not even be a reasonable goal for me, I'll evaluate as I go.

My body has changed drastically since August, and even in my plateau, I was still seeing major changes in my overall shape and getting in to smaller pants. I actually got more compliments on my "weight loss" during the plateau than I did during the first three months when I was actually losing weight.

I think the biggest thing that helps *for me* is the fact that I learned a long time ago that weight wasn't a good indicator of my overall health. I'm actually an inch shorter than you. My doctor in highschool told me very plainly that anything under 150 lbs on MY build and with MY muscle mass would be underweight, and I had another growth spurt in my early 20's that added several inches to my shoulders and rib cage sooooo, I'm always going to be heavy, maybe even always "overweight" according to BMI, but if I can wear a size 6-8, run for miles and miles, and have a low bf% and rock a bikini, who cares what the scale says?
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Ya im just going to eat at a deficit and work on my plan - see what happens. I won't be stepping on a scale til the Spring. Won't be eating at much of a deficit either 10-15% off TDEE that's all. Lets say size 7 is my goal instead of 10lbs weight loss. Right now im a size 9/10.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    There are other things than scale weight to look at.

Measurements, how you feel in your clothes, how you look in the mirror.
    How is your energy level, etc....
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    I hear we shouldn't complicate things. I sense complication when reading most people's suggestions..............I feel that eating at a deficit, doing some cardio and heavy weights is the least complicated as i can be. Sure im gonna avoid some certain foods but that's because im an all or nothing kinda person. If i open a bag of chips, i don't eat 10 chips, I eat the whole bag.........
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    I fully support KISS methedology (keep it simple stupid)!
  • BetesBitch
    Options

Well when i weighed 140lbs I felt awesome in my clothes, i looked super hot in the mirror and my energy level was high!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Well when i weighed 140lbs I felt awesome in my clothes, i looked super hot in the mirror and my energy level was high!

Then shoot for 140
    But if you were to lift, develop muscle, and still be say, 148......
    Wouldn't that be pretty cool??
  • BetesBitch
    Options

Then shoot for 140

Yes it would be cool but it's gonna take way longer and it's a more difficult process.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Was just wondering too - wouldn't it be even harder for me to burn just fat vs. fat/muscle to lose weight because im on INSULIN for T1 diabetes???? The growth hormone/the fat storing hormone!!! Does know this change any one of your minds about me just solely aiming to lose the last 10lbs even though it will be fat/muscle loss......
  • BetesBitch
    Options

Then shoot for 140

Confused. I thought no one could develop muscle while in a deficit. Im sure as hell not going to eat at a surplus!