Home for Christmas...not so much.

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
I'm feeling particularly sad this Christmas. I'm from Montana and flights back home were just too much money for my husband and I to fly home and be with my family this year. I'm extremely homesick...my mother passed away a year ago tomorrow on Christmas Eve morning so being able to go home was very important to me this year.

Anybody else unable to go home for Christmas this year? We can console each other maybe...

At any rate, happy holidays to you and yours.

Replies

• AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    : (

I know the feeling. I've missed a lot of things over the years and still not an easy thing.

It's good that you have your husband and he has you. : )
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mother. We're in hubby's home town so he gets to be home for the holidays. After 20 years in the service I guess he gets to have that on me :). I haven't been home for Christmas since I joined the service 5 years ago. Though I have been lucky enought to spend a few of those Christmas with family (just not home). I'm now out but don't have enough leave accured to make the journey home this year.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Hope you have a good holiday season. Be thankful for the person who you will see on Christmas.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My husband is feeling a little sad about this. His parents moved to florida in september and he misses them. It will be a while, maybe a year or 2, before we can afford to travel down there with our 2 kids for a visit. Right now I'm missing my father, he passed away a couple of months ago and even though he was struggling with health issues and now he is free of pain, it just feels wrong to have Christmas without him.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    Options
    good home state, Im from Montana :) but I feel ya, sorta. I wanted to take my husband home for christmas to oregon, but cant afford to this year :(
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    My daughter and grandsons live with me, so this is their home. I haven't been 'home' for Christmas, in 6 years, but in actuality, I am, as we always have Christmas at my house. I know it's hard, not to be where you want to be at Christmas, but it is also wonderful to have people to share the holiday with!!! (((((((Hugs))))))) I hope everyone has a wonderful and happy Christmas!!
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your mother. It's really a shame how expensive it is to travel over the holidays. :(

I'm lucky enough to have a job that pays for my travel so I didn't have to fund my flights myself. Celebrating with my mum but one of my brothers couldn't afford to fly back (he lives in Portugal) so it will feel strange this year still.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My parents moved to Canada fourish years ago. So I know how you feel. I don't have a passport, nor the money to get there. I do miss Christmases with them.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I know it must be very painful!

My parents divorced a few years ago, when I was pregnant with my first child. I haven't seen my mother in over a year, and I have not seen her for CHRISTMAS since the week before they got divorced. So I'll be home for Christmas, but she won't!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Just curious, as I'm not sure how far away your home would be from where you are now, but have you considered taking the train? Much less expensive than flying. We've done that a few times the last couple of years just to save money.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Just curious, as I'm not sure how far away your home would be from where you are now, but have you considered taking the train? Much less expensive than flying. We've done that a few times the last couple of years just to save money.

Man i wish I could...if I still lived in Washington State I would think about that. I'm living in the Baltimore/DC Metro area now so it'd be as expensive as flying, unfortunately :(
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the kind words and holiday wishes.

I am very lucky to be able to spend the day with my husband...we have a roof over our heads, food to eat, two great dogs and lots of love between the two of us. We're going to be able to skype at least so we can see our family even though we can't be there in person.

A very merry Christmas to all of you.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    :heart: im sorry for your loss

We cant go home either w/ the BF losing his job it's just not going to happen this year.

I'm going to be working.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    :( UGH! That's the worst! Working Christmas Day? *hugs*