What FINALLY worked?

Options
As I am sure it is the same with many of you, I have been trying to lose weight for a long time now. I have tried many approaches, eating as healthy as possible, then suddenly losing motivation and going right back to eating unhealthy. What finally worked for you? Does anyone have tips to avoid falling off the bandwagon once more? I am ready for a change!!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    1. Tracking honestly
    2. Measuring stuff
    3. Researching restaurant menus and pre-log before I go out. ( 50% of the times.)
    4. Joining challenges. I try to join different ones every month to keep it interesting. I am doing the 24 hr exercise in a month this month.

I've been trying SEVERAL times. These combinations seem to work best for me. The community support helps more than I thought.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    1. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit.
    Do this by eating however you like. No need to eliminate specific foods unless you want to.

2. Log your food accurately and consistently.

3. Exercise for fitness.

:smile:
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is truly making the decision to change your lifestyle. I stepped on the scale and saw a number I promised myself I'd never see. Then I got PISSED. Even after losing the weight, I'm STILL a little pissed at myself for letting that happen. I decided "Never Again." and got to work. From there things fell into place - and the weight fell off. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months.

My biggest things:

1. Know your BMR and TDEE and eat between these numbers. (Look online for calculators). Eat at least your BMR or 1200 calories, whichever is higher. don't starve yourself and make yourself miserable. For meany reasons, it's better to eat a little more and exercise more than eat less and exercise less.
    2. Eat 5-6 "mini meals" per day instead of 3 larger meals. This helps keep your blood sugar more stable and your metabolism up. For me, I divided my calorie goal in 6 parts and ate 4 meals plus dinner which was a double meal. So if my goal was 1800 calories, I ate 4 meals of 300 calories and a 600 calorie dinner. My other meals were breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and evening snack. Log everything carefully and honestly - if you're not being honest, you're wasting your time logging at all.
    3. Move away from sugar and simple carbs like white bread, white rice, pasta. I eliminated all of this for the first few weeks to sort of purge my system. I felt like crap for 3 days - with withdrawal symptoms like headache, hunger, fatigue, etc. but after that I was free and felt so much better - and had a lot more willpower. Instead of simple carbs, eat lean protein, complex carbs (whole grains) and veggies at every meal.
    4. Don't drink any calories. Drink lots of water. Diet drinks occasionally if needed. If you're like me and have a beer once in a while, log it and deal with it.
    5. Exercise 5-6 days a week. Lift and do cardio. Look into HIIT to really push yourself, improve your fitness level and really burn some calories. FYI, nothing burns calories like running. But do what you enjoy doing so you can stick to it.
    6. Do NOT eat back your exercise calories when you're trying to lose weight. MFP automatically adds them back in, saying you have XXX calories remaining. Don't go by that - set a calorie goal for yourself and stick to it. Let your exercise calorie burns go toward fat loss!
    7. Consider investing in a heart-rate monitor so you know how many calories you're really burning. I have a Polar FT7 and love it - but the numbers are much different from what MFP or the machines at the gym say I'm burning.
    8. Once every week or two, log "free day" for the day and just give yourself a break from logging. Eat whatever you want, relax and de-stress. If you eat too much (like I sometimes do), you'll feel like crap and want to get back on track the next day.
    9. Speaking of which, if you have a bad day, don't beat yourself up. Just make the next day a really good one. You are not defined by your bad day. But you may be defined by what you do the day after.

Good luck!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

6. Do NOT eat back your exercise calories when you're trying to lose weight. MFP automatically adds them back in, saying you have XXX calories remaining. Don't go by that - set a calorie goal for yourself and stick to it. Let your exercise calorie burns go toward fat loss!

If you're following the MFP program rather than using the TDEE method, you should eat your exercise calories. MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. The calorie goal that MFP assigns already includes the necessary calorie deficit for you to reach your goals. If you add extra exercise on top of the daily activity you've already accounted for, you're creating a larger deficit than you need, which can be counterproductive.
    It's not a big deal if you're meeting your nutritional needs and aren't feeling hungry or deprived, but the key is sustainability. If you have exercise calories left and you're feeling hungry or feel like you're missing out on some of the social aspects that come along with enjoying food, eat them. The best calorie goal is one that you can easily stick to.

I ate my exercise calories back from January to August and it worked really well. In August, I upped my calories and switched to the TDEE method because I didn't feel like logging every bit of exercise and eating a different calorie goal every day. That's worked really well too.

I just wanted to clarify that for the OP, who may be starting out on the MFP program rather than the TDEE method. If you choose the MFP program, follow it as it is designed. It works.
    You can read about the TDEE method here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    honesty is what worked

.... honesty to myself on what I actually consumed rather then what I thought/wished I consumed i.e I actually weighed everything and measured only the liquids and logged everything that went into my mouth (difference between measuring cup and weighing was 200 cals a day)

... honesty with how much exercise I could commit myself to and what I was likely to burn doing it i.e. I wasn't going to start training for a marathon or keep up an hour a day gym habit or burn a 1000 cals in any other way, I can however walk for 30 mins at least 3 times a week

... honesty about what I am likely to achieve i.e. I will not look like some Hollywood starlet, at the end I'll still have dimply thighs and stretchmarks

... honesty about the timeframe i.e. I have a small deficit so I am not going to drop 2lbs a week, so it'll take time to get to my goal
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was throwing out all the old "diet" myths I had tried for years (yes I'm a slow learner took me many many years to realize they obviously don't last)

1. Learn Portion control
    2. Be honest with myself
    3. Measure as accurately as possible
    4. Small calorie deficit
    5. Don't deprive myself of anything, moderation works
    6. Found exercise that I enjoy - Biking, lifting weights, and starting to actually enjoy running
    7. Understanding I don't have to be perfect, just consistent
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options

If you're following the MFP program rather than using the TDEE method, you should eat your exercise calories. MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. The calorie goal that MFP assigns already includes the necessary calorie deficit for you to reach your goals. If you add extra exercise on top of the daily activity you've already accounted for, you're creating a larger deficit than you need, which can be counterproductive.
    It's not a big deal if you're meeting your nutritional needs and aren't feeling hungry or deprived, but the key is sustainability. If you have exercise calories left and you're feeling hungry or feel like you're missing out on some of the social aspects that come along with enjoying food, eat them. The best calorie goal is one that you can easily stick to.

I ate my exercise calories back from January to August and it worked really well. In August, I upped my calories and switched to the TDEE method because I didn't feel like logging every bit of exercise and eating a different calorie goal every day. That's worked really well too.

I just wanted to clarify that for the OP, who may be starting out on the MFP program rather than the TDEE method. If you choose the MFP program, follow it as it is designed. It works.
    You can read about the TDEE method here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

GOOD ADVICE! You SHOULD eat back (at least a majority of) your exercise calories, esp if you exercise a lot! I went from exercising 187 calories a day to sometimes now 1500-1700 BURNED ... imagine if I didn't eat them back! I'd be sick and I'd be prone to binging out of starvation!

Nothing too extreme works for me. I eat *mostly* clean, but I have a lot of IIFYM (anything goes if it fits) thrown in too. And sometimes it doesn't fit my macros, but fits my calories and I eat it anyway. Keeps me going, though. I'm a long way from there, but I'm 1/3 down the path and 2/3 to go and have not had any trouble sticking to it. If it's too extreme, you will eventually stop doing it and you'll be back where you started.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure you can do it for life or it won't matter in the long run, you'll just be postponing the inevitable and letting yourself get set up for disappointment and feelings of failure.
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Being honest with yourself is the first step, figuring out why you eat is second. I started a log and before I eat I ask myself why I'm doing it. Am I really physically hungry or is it an emotional or stress hunger. I know I eat for all the wrong reasons and feel in order to succeed I have to stop looking to food for comfort or calmness. GrannyPat
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I did some research, and learned how calories work, before then I other failed approaches of just excercise and even completely starving myself, no wonder why I kept losing motivated after just a day or two.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You said it in your original post - you can't lose motivation, quit, and go back to your old habits.

If you take weight off - however you do it - and then stick with your new habits of eating in moderation and exercising, you'll keep the weight off.

It's not surprising that people who go back to the habits that made them fat in the first place get fat again.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Lowering carbs and upping fat is what finally worked for me. Also, finding a good deficit.
  • ElegantSlenderChic
    Options
    All the above advice and the fact that you have to want to achieve your goal really badly and be prepared to be disciplined and comitted
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    1. Buying a food scale
    2. Pre-logging my food and sticking with it
    3. Not beating myself up if I fall off track for a day or two
    4. Buying a HRM
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What worked for me to lose weight was:
    1/ calorie counting, the MFP way of eating back exercise calories works well for me
    2/ 5:2 fasting helped enormously with adherence to calorie control
    3/ not excluding any foods (or drinks!)
    4/ having more opportunity to exercise
    5/ enjoying my exercise

What keeps me from falling off the bandwagon:
    1/ setting goals (weight maintenance being only one of them)
    2/ making progress
    3/ enjoying being lighter, fitter, stronger, healthier
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Do this by eating however you like. No need to eliminate specific foods unless you want to.

3. Exercise for fitness.

This.
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find what keeps you motivated for a prolonged period of time.

What has helped me is the Diet Bet website, which makes you put up money up front, and if you lose 4% of your body weight in a month you get your money back, plus the money of all those who failed. I turned 35 bucks into over 100 in 2 months.

Money motivates me.

Find what motivates you, and find a way to exploit that over a long period of time.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options

3. Exercise for fitness.

This is exactly what I do. I've had the most success this way and I never feel deprived. I eat whatever I am in the mood for, I just make sure to fit it into my calorie goals. Occasionally I will still eat more than I plan, especially when TOM visits, but I don't worry about it. I just let it go. Each day is a new day, there is no reason why whatever happened yesterday should matter today.
  • Vicks1978
    Vicks1978 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For me it's been similar to all the above.
    I've just had enough of my life this way. I think something clicks in you, I had tried diets before and given up, but I want it so so bad this time that I will not go back. Now I am fitting in smaller clothes, it really motivates me to keep going. I'm fed up of been the fat girl out of puff doing a simple hike. No more.
    Other things have been:
    * Buy kitchen scales
    * I prelog the next days food in advance and stick to it
    * Exercise way more than I ever did, even just walking - I find this community helps and friends who exercise lots spur me on to do more
    * I don't buy anything naughty in, I threw it all out when I started, I have even given away chocolate people have got me for christmas and I don't feel guilty
    * Meal planning before going to the supermarket and filling up my cupboards/freezer with healthy stuff
    * I drink loads more water
    * I am also been realistic about the time it will take to lose weight. Some people lose more quickly than others, mine is slow, but going the right way, this is a lifestyle change and I want to do it healthily and right, its not a race.

Good Luck all x
  • tamjones3
    tamjones3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I went to Olive Garden recently and chose the low calorie menu under 575 calories. The vegetable lasagna with chicken was delicious. When I weighed in the next day I actually had lost a pound!!:happy:
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Ive been the same way for years...starting and stopping over and over..It usually happened during a period of some life interuption. Ive been at nearly a year now and think what has stuck this time, is I can actually see my body comp changing. Prior attempts Id lose some weight, sometimes more, sometimes less..but I would never see a physical change. Even though I am currently stuck right now, I am not gaining and I know that my diet needs tweeked to restart..because I cannot even envision going back to my old couch potato self.
    Honesty and perserverance are the key...If you can make it past the point where its habit then even when you do fall off the wagon...getting back on it will be so much easier.