PCOS and weight loss

Options
I am determined to buckle down and loose the rest of the weight I want to loose. That being said, I have been diagnosed with pcos, and they don't know if that is messing with my thyroid or if I have a problem with my thyroid, but it ends up with the same thing, effects me like hypothyroid. Question is I already eat very small portions, and I never eat out, I have stopped myself from gaining so fast has anyone found anything that works in this case?a typical day would be an egg with half a piece of toase, half an apple at snack, the other half at lunch and half of a chicken breast with broccoli for dinner, I'll sometimes have a quarter of a sandwich with lunch, when I actually get hungry I snack on fruits and veggies

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    1. Go to the doctor and clarify the thyroid problem and secondly ask them to test you for insulin resistance.
    2. Log your calories (and weigh food using a scale) and be at an appropriate deficit until you get your results back,then you may have to readjust depending on your results.
    3. Throw in some exercise if you want to eat more/ be generally healthy/ maintain as much muscle mass as possible
  • nimler
    nimler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i have it myself, and found that following a low-glycemic diet helped almost instantly. simply put (it may not be technically correct)when consuming too much sugar, your body can become insulin resistent and it metabolises the sugar into testosterone, which throws everything off. hence the reason metformin (a common PCOS treatment) works to balance hormones and help you lose weight. i was on metformin pre baby and it worked wonders. post baby, i've used diet and exercise to regulate it. it really works!
  • Hannah_W90
    Hannah_W90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok Im on the pill for my PCOS, also because I dont want to get pregnant but with my PCOS I find it almost impossible to lose weight. Last year I would exercise 3 times a week and only ate 1200 calories. Some weeks I would only lose 0.25 lbs!! the weight loss was so slow it was depressing, and only eating 1200 calories has a lot of negative effects, especially headaches, blurred vision, poor concentration, dizziness etc. Anyway, so I asked my Dr if I could go on metformin as I've heard lots of people have more success, but he said no because I'm not technically "overweight", and if I want to lose weight I need to just try harder. my BMI is 24 so still in the normal range but I want to lose weight for personal reasons. I wanted to get some opinions.... Im 5ft 3 and 138 lbs. Am I being unreasonable wanting to lose weight?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I finally am on Metformin for my PCOS, and I had to suggest it to my new doc. It really is the best medicine to balance most of the hormones involved at one time.

I'm not overweight, either, but my blood glucose had gotten high (like pre-diabetic) and I already had him note the facial hair issue. That one was never noted before because I always take cosmetic measures and so docs would check the 'no' box on it without ever asking. Once I saw that in my record, I made sure to point it out specifically, lol.

My triglycerides were also fairly high. I say this because he had put me on spiro, and he was considering a triglyceride-lowering drug, when all that is silly when Metformin is the better total choice. Make a case to your doc based on all of your symptoms, because they may not consider all the hormones involved when considering Met. There are lots of studies that show the effects on triglyceride levels, testosterone levels, etc, with Met, so bring them up if necessary. My estrogen-testosterone levels were so high that my gyno even thinks that's why mine progressed to full, painful endometriosis.

If y'all can't do Metformin, there are various herbals, etc, that can help balance each system separately. Quite cumbersome compared to the very good, researched results on just the one drug, though!
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    I stay clear of fast carbs and always check any fruit or vegetable I eat against a glycemic index to make sure I'm not eating something I think is healthy (and for someone else could be) but for me and my insulin resistance isn't. I find that a lot of my other PCOS symptoms go away or are at least reduced when I'm sugar and starch free. I also track my sodium intake and never, ever add salt to anything I cook. I don't have much to compare to of course, but I wouldn't say losing weight is hard if I just stick to that and exercise 5-6 times a week.