HIIT

Options
Has anyone done HIIT with jogging/sprinting? Thinking of starting that next week as opposed to just jogging. What are your high intensity/rest periods? And how long do you do HIIT overall? Any tips would be much appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Yup, love it. I do a 30 minute run at 5mph. During the middle 10 minutes is when I do my sprints. At the start of each minute I do a 20sec sprint at 9mph and then back down to 5mph for the rest of the minute, rinse, repeat 9 more times. It's taken me about 2 months to work up to the 9mph sprints. I started with 7mph sprints and even had to work up to being able to do 10 in a row. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do when 9mph becomes old hat because the quick buttons on the machine I use only go up to 9! I'll probably start making my sprints a little longer or adding more on. See if I can't work my way up to doing 9mph for a full mile....
  • Transformer711
    Options
    Do you find it challenging? I've heard that HIIT is better at burning fat/calories than a medium intensity exercise over a longer period of time?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    I find it VERY challenging. I actually do both. I do my HIIT runs twice a week and a long run once a week along with lifting heavy 3 times a week. This is basically what my lacrosse coach would have us do in the months leading up to the start of the season to whip our butts in to shape. I've always been a good endurance runner, but the sprints really push my muscles in a way that the longer runs can't. I think the jury is still out on whether it really burns the calories faster, but I get a 400 calorie burn for a 40 minute workout (10 minutes for warm up and cool down). I'm just not willing to spend 1-2 hours in the gym each night doing long runs, so this works well for me.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I live for HIIT. Its effectiveness and benefits really depend on your goals. I've found that it's a good way to improve my overall mile pace, and in combination with base runs and distance building runs, it's part of a running program I can stick with. I have no idea if it has had any real metabolic effect for me, but I've been steadily losing weight, so it hasn't hurt. I do HIIT twice a week in the following ways:

intervals of 1 minute at 8 mph and 2 minutes at 3.5 mph--anywhere from 5 to 10 intervals (15 to 30 minutes)
    intervals of 2 minutes at 7 mph and 1 minute at 3.5 mph--anywhere from 5 to 10 intervals

(I should say that my standard mile pace is somewhere between 5.3-5.7 mph, so running at 7 or 8 mph is a serious stretch for me)

I typically do HIIT after 30 minutes of warm-up on the elliptical and then a 30 minute strength training session. There are mixed opinions about doing HIIT before or after weights, but this schema works for me.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I love HIIT. It is bloody hard and that is the beauty of it :)
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have 50 pounds to lose, and when I added hi it to my walking (jogging) it injured my knees. Now I do hi it on an elliptical, exercise bike, or swimming.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    All of my progress has come from HIIT training. I swear by it.
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I live for HIIT. Its effectiveness and benefits really depend on your goals. I've found that it's a good way to improve my overall mile pace, and in combination with base runs and distance building runs, it's part of a running program I can stick with. I have no idea if it has had any real metabolic effect for me, but I've been steadily losing weight, so it hasn't hurt. I do HIIT twice a week in the following ways:

intervals of 1 minute at 8 mph and 2 minutes at 3.5 mph--anywhere from 5 to 10 intervals (15 to 30 minutes)
    intervals of 2 minutes at 7 mph and 1 minute at 3.5 mph--anywhere from 5 to 10 intervals

(I should say that my standard mile pace is somewhere between 5.3-5.7 mph, so running at 7 or 8 mph is a serious stretch for me)

I typically do HIIT after 30 minutes of warm-up on the elliptical and then a 30 minute strength training session. There are mixed opinions about doing HIIT before or after weights, but this schema works for me.

Are you sure this is HIIT? It seems like interval training to me...

AFAIK sprinting phase should be "all out" effort in order to qualify the training as HIIT, and you should not be physically able to do more than 10-20, perhaps max 30 seconds of such intensive sprinting.
  • Heavyd2g
    Heavyd2g Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't do it with running but I have put together a 15 minute session using exercises from Insanity. Workout for 3 minutes and have a 30 second break. Doesn't sound much but if you have experienced Insanity you will know that 3 minutes of Insanity will hurt, a lot, depending on your effort level of course.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on the treadmill for 20 minutes. 1 minute sprint at 7.0-7.5 and 1 minute off at 3.5. I read that the recommended HIIT time should not exceed 20minutes. If you are doing it right. (maxing out on your sprints) then 20 minutes is all you need. The easier it get just increase your speed. But If you just starting I would recommend doing like 20-30 sec sprints first then work our way up to no more then a 1 minute. Probably start i with a 15 minute HIIT and see how you like it.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

AFAIK sprinting phase should be "all out" effort in order to qualify the training as HIIT, and you should not be physically able to do more than 10-20, perhaps max 30 seconds of such intensive sprinting.

People often interchange interval training with HIIT training, but yes, you are correct in that true HIIT should max you out after 20 seconds. For most people just starting out, interval training is better. Trying to sprint at max output when you're still carrying too much weight and really just getting in to exercise will lead to injury, been there done that, had the dislocated pubic symphysis to prove it.
  • tagiriga
    Options
    I agree...most people are referring to interval training here. Which is very effective as well but for those looking to do true HITT here is an example of what it is.

HIIT is typically a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of all out max effort followed by active recovery.
    (:20 sec sprint/:40 sec rest; :15 sec sprint/:45 sec rest)
    It typically takes me 20 minutes to do everything. 5 min warm up, 10 min sprints, 5 min cool down

Warm up for 5 min
    Step off and crank the treadmill to a decent sprint speed (10-11 mph) and add some incline.
    When the clock on the machine hits :00 jump on and run for :15 or :20 secs as fast as you can.
    Jump to the sides and step back off the treadmill and walk behind it for the remainder of the minute (:40 or :45 sec).
    Step back on to the sides of the treadmill and as soon as you see :00 again you jump on and run as fast as you can for another :15 - :20 sec.
    Repeat that for a total of 10 sprints.
    It is really intense but you get better and faster each time. Leave the treadmill going at the fast speed to eliminate wasted time.
    When you no longer feel it as challenging or your treadmill cannot go past a certain speed crank up the incline. That will definitely give you a challenge.

Hope that helped explain it a bit more.

Whether you are doing HIIT or intervals keep challenging yourself with speed, incline and time. Good Luck!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

what he said.

i do hiit in rounds/cycles because it's kind of stupid to do them (if you're doing it properly) year round plus the workout really effects the hormones that control appetite. when i'm in my HIIT cycles i pretty much lose my appetite and have to set reminders to eat.

i do sprinting walking HIIT. not on the treadmill because there's no way i can accelerate as quickly as i'd need to on a treadmill. in fact i cant do HIIT on any machine because the machine eventually slows me down (ie handles on ellipticals can only return to neutral position so fast, stationary bikes wobble which takes away from the movement, treadmills you are unnaturally having to check your stride length, plus there's the issue of having to unnaturally slow down during the sprint to either get your bearing to jump on the machine or tap in a new speed).

so i do HIIT in a track or some location outside where i can GOOOOOOO when it's time to go.

i do a 1:3 ration (sprinting 15 secs/ resting 45 secs).
    total workout time with warm up (several laps running at a comfortable pace doing high knees, flutter kicks, side steps, exaggerated strides) and cool down is about 20 minutes, maybe 25 if i'm feeling especially jittery afterwards and need to take a few more slow walking laps
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    i do hiit in rounds/cycles because it's kind of stupid to do them (if you're doing it properly) year round plus the workout really effects the hormones that control appetite. when i'm in my HIIT cycles i pretty much lose my appetite and have to set reminders to eat.

i do sprinting walking HIIT. not on the treadmill because there's no way i can accelerate as quickly as i'd need to on a treadmill. in fact i cant do HIIT on any machine because the machine eventually slows me down (ie handles on ellipticals can only return to neutral position so fast, stationary bikes wobble which takes away from the movement, treadmills you are unnaturally having to check your stride length, plus there's the issue of having to unnaturally slow down during the sprint to either get your bearing to jump on the machine or tap in a new speed).

so i do HIIT in a track or some location outside where i can GOOOOOOO when it's time to go.

i do a 1:3 ration (sprinting 15 secs/ resting 45 secs).
    total workout time with warm up (several laps running at a comfortable pace doing high knees, flutter kicks, side steps, exaggerated strides) and cool down is about 20 minutes, maybe 25 if i'm feeling especially jittery afterwards and need to take a few more slow walking laps

Ok, I'm doing HIIT right now on a treadmill because the one I'm using has quick buttons that can jump me from 5mph to 9mph and back again without much delay. It takes about 6 seconds for the motor to get up to speed, but especially on the first few sprints I doubt I could get my speed up any faster than that anyways. I'm usually still pretty tight through my calves and heels even with the 10 minute jog to warm up. Like I said, never really been a sprinter.

So here's my issue, I'd love to move my runs outside because I find that much more enjoyable. My concern is that it will be harder to monitor progress. On the treadmill I know EXACTLY what my pace is and EXACTLY how long I'm running. I have a definitive measurment for tracking progress, which I find helps keep me motivated.

Buuuut, at 9mph I'm maxing out the quick buttons, so something is going to have to change anyways. So do I stick with the treadmill and just add more sprints, increase sprint times, add an incline, speed up my recovery jog????? Or, if I switch to running outside, how do I ensure that I'm really making progress?
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    if you have a smartphone, install a free app like "HIIT interval training time" in combo with something like nike running. the timer will give you an audio cue of when it's time to go and when it's time to rest. a program like nike running will measure your total time and distance which you can use to get your average time.

another option is to mark off a space in your mind (it's easier to do this on a track since things are premeasured) and see how far you get during your sprint and you can calculate a speed from that

there's also the option of having someone time you. this could be a fun way to workout with a partner as they they time you while they rest and you time them when you rest.

here are some ideas on how to warm up/cool down for sprinting
    http://www.dominiccrucitti.com/2013/01/5-winning-warm-up-drills-for-sprint.html
    http://www.runblogrun.com/2012/05/coaching-101-warm-up-for-sprinters-by-roy-stevenson.html
    http://www.lollylegs.com/training/WarmingUp.aspx
    http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/cool-down-correctly?page=single

here's another video on importance of arm movement in sprints
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY-eLrbvbxg

also if your calves and heels are tight you might want to consider foam rolling before and after you sprint.

there's nothing wrong with needing to take 15, 20,25 minutes of prep time before you begin your sprint workout if that's what you need. good prep work is what helps keep you injury free.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    :grumble: Damn, I live in the stone age and don't actually own a cell phone of any kind, although I will admit that getting some sort of running app has been the one thing that has me concidering conceding defeat and joining the modern era.....

Thank's for the videos, I will go through and take a look at those.

Foam roller = arcane midieval torture device :grumble: but I'm actually expecting a runners stick in the mail next week, specifically for working on my calves...
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    another interval timer http://www.gymboss.com/

this one is good because it can clip on your clothes. i actually prefer it to the app