Why do people panic over a 1-2 lb gain?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    fear

Panic is born of fear and not a lot of other things like basing one's self worth on the scale etc.

People are putting forth an effort. They are working hard and a 2 lb gain seems like a set back. Likely if they are new to the journey a little reassuring that this is how the body fluctuates is all they need instead of being treated like morons.

Some people might also feel like they are always walking a fine line between a balanced life and one that is either too restricted or too free and loose..therefore certain times a 2 lb gain can make them feel like they are teetering off that fine line.

If someone if panicking, they likely need reassurance or education.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    - people generally do not understand natural body weight fluctuations and how much those fluctuations can be day to day.

- people are overly scale obsessed

- people generally don't really understand how all of this weight loss stuff actually works.

- people are, generally speaking, linear thinkers and have a hard time with anything that isn't a linear progression. Sadly, most success whether it is weight loss or otherwise, is not linear...which is why people get derailed so easily in life generally.

- people generally put all their stock in some arbitrary number on the scale rather than actual health and nutrition...they just want to get to the finish line so they can stop all this health and fitness nonsense.

THIS
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm testing this theory. I just bought an Ozeri body composition scale that measures weight, fat density, bone mass, water, and muscle. While the base readings may or may not be accurate (reviews were mixed but overwhelmingly good, favoring accuracy), more importantly trends can be noted. If my weight doesn't change or goes up, I can see what's going on 'behind the scenes' and see if there is a true shift from fat to water or muscle. Just got it today. Will see over time ...

Amazon, Ozeri marked down from $129 to $31 with checkout discount of 20% ...

If by reviews you mean consumer reviews, I'd be very interested how any of them knew it was accurate.
    Too many equate different than what they knew from some other means as more accurate, however that logic works.

Anyway, use your scale 3 times in a row to decide how much you can trust consistency. Literally, get off, walk down the hallway, come back, and do it again.
    Because true, that consistency is more important than accuracy range over time, but you gotta see what it can vary by just 3 times in a row to decide what the data means for 3 days in a row.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think even when you KNOW it's hormones or poop or whatever, it still sucks to see the scale moving the wrong direction. That said, I agree the "oh noes the scale went up 2/3 of a pound HELP" posts are tedious.