Why do so many MFP users dismiss high calorie burns?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Not really my place to question the next grown adult about how many calories they are logging.

I'm here to be supportive and do not know them well enough to get into that kind of discussion or debate with them.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't think my calories are over inflated. I weigh 340 so of course I'm going to burn more than people half my weight.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Or user can disable the auto feed update in the settings. User will not see update, neither do their friends.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I spend more time worrying about what I do, eat, and log, and less time worrying about what others do, eat, and log.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I really wish people would stop making broad stroke generalizations on these threads.
    Pot, meet kettle...

Exactly where did I make a broad-stroke generalization in my comment?
    You can't be serious.

:laugh:

In the sentence I quoted, for starters. Who are these generalized, non-specific "people" you are referring to?

Good grief.
    ... nay-sayers like yourself.
    And there's another one.

:smokin:

Yup....you are 12. Carry on. I know you will.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    I spend more time worrying about what I do, eat, and log, and less time worrying about what others do, eat, and log.

HHHHHHeeeellllllllllllllooooooooooooooooo!

+1
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've noticed on here that when people log high calorie burns from anywhere between 800-2000 cals a day others are quick to dismiss it but I don't understand why.

Because 90%+ of the time, the burn is vastly over-inflated, which means people are setting themselves up for a "plateau".

^this...

...regardless of the justification given later in this thread.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Not really my place to question the next grown adult about how many calories they are logging.

I'm here to be supportive and do not know them well enough to get into that kind of discussion or debate with them.
    Usually something is said in response to a thread titled something like HELP I AM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT WHY AM I NOT LOSING WEIGHT?????????????
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I don`t think I have ever questioned someones burn, but while a HRM is better for steady state cardio, the longer you are doing the cardio, the higher your HR goes not in the way it does at the start as you are getting going, but the longer you exercise the higher it will drift. That drift is not because you are working hard, but for the math of calorie estimates it will raise your average HR and skew the calorie burn up. For me in the summer when I will do 2-3 hour bike rides it means the huge calorie burn I pull off is not as high as it seems. Probably still better than MFP`s numbers, but still inflated.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Because research shows that many people overestimate the calorie burn of their exercise. If someone tracks 10,000 calories worth of food, I'm going to assume they put the food that they ate in their log based on the label. If someone claims 10,000 burned calories, I'm going to assume their gym machines are ridiculously inaccurate.

(If someone estimates 10,000 calories from eating at a restaurant with no nutrition information posted, I'm also going to assume there's a good chance that they overestimated.)

However, the only time I ever say anything about someone's burn being overestimated is when they post a thread asking why they aren't losing weight while counting huge calorie burns and eating the calories back. For people on my feed, I don't care and don't think about it, unless they are asking why they aren't losing weight. I know people burn more calories than me. I know some burn massive amounts of calories. But if they are posting a thread about not losing despite a "net" of 1200 calories while logging 2000 calories of exercise, that's going to be the first place I'd look.

This.
  • Sreneesa
    Options

Usually something is said in response to a thread titled something like HELP I AM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT WHY AM I NOT LOSING WEIGHT?????????????

I get it if they are asking for help or trying to figure out why they are not losing weight, etc.

But, I guess for me I know telling someone, even if your intentions are good how to do stuff, without them asking, can be touchy.

The way I was raised and how I live my life is mind your own business unless someone ask.

No disrespect. But that is the cloth I'm cut from.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The OP is using the elliptical while holding 5 pounds dumbbells and assuming that the "strength training" from the DBs is going to make up for the overestimated value from the machine. In other words, she's going to use an inflated value to justify an inflated value.

This is how housing market bubbles and weight loss dreams burst.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Do you really need validation from someone, OP?
    Do you think that if you tell me that you burned 1750 calories on your elliptical, somehow your body won't register it, unless I believe you?

Kinda like going to the gym is useless, unless you update your Facebook status to let everybody know?
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    my HRM usually lists a calorie burn higher than MFP's
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you, why worry about it?

I generally don't give my input about someone's diet or exercise unless they ask for it.
    If your logging is inaccurate, the only person it affects is you.
  • mbennett2283
    Options
    I'm with bajoyba....I routinely do 950-1000 cal burn on the treadmill and log all my food and I haven't gained out of Week 1. In fact, the weight's been dropping like a rock over the past 6-7 weeks.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've seen someone on my FL eat 10000 cals in a day but I only read a few diaries in the week and certainly not to validate or verify someone's calorie count. As to burns in excess of 3500, I see a few - and depending on the person may believe them or not.

I have a RL friend on my friendlist and she logs 2000 cal cycling outings every week - I know they are valid - she's biked with me and 6-7 hour bike ride up the Karwendel is easily in excess of 4000 cals. It also depends on the activity.

Often those high burns are wishful thinking, not always.

Welcome to the Karwendel :)

p4pb7633492.jpg