Xbox 360 Kinect Beginner's Guide

Options
I got the Xbox 360 Kinect this week and it has been a blast. You may be wondering if it is right for you and what to buy if it is. I thought I'd give an objective guide to Kinect.

Warning: If you do not have a room where you can at least 6 feet between you and the TV, don't bother buying the Kinect. You need plenty or room to play the Kinect, the more the better. I have a large room with plenty of space but yet it is still a tight squeeze for two people to play at the same time. If you have the room but you don't want to rearrange the furniture just for a gaming system, consider it anyway because it is worth it - it is that fun.

First thing you'll need is an Xbox 360, preferably one of the newer models that are "Kinect Ready". If you don't already own an Xbox 360 you can buy the Xbox 360 Kinect Bundle, otherwise you can just buy the Kinect.

Setting up the Kinect is a breeze. There is a quick start guide that will walk you through the set up process step by step. If you screw up you can always go back and try again.

There are a number of games you can buy for it. Thankfully, the Kinect comes with Kinect Adventures which is good enough to get started on and to get used to the system.

For those who are focused on fitness, the "game" to get is "Your Shape Fitness Evolved". This game really shines as an overall fitness regimen that will track your progress and keep you going. Even if you are in good shape the training programs will find any weakness you may have.

The best game for the system right now is Dance Central. It is basically dance Karaoke. Some guys may feel self conscious about playing it but it is surprisingly addictive so set aside your hang ups and just give it a shot. I just wish I had a game like this when I was into martial arts because it really teaches you to move.

Kinect Sports is another no-brainer purchase. It is fun and is probably the best motion sports game available today (move over Wii Sports).

Outside of the games I suggested, you should read reviews and do research before buy games for the system. There are a couple of real stinkers out there as with any new system. Then again, it depends on your taste.

Expect to have a good time playing the Kinect and expect other people to enjoy themselves as well, even non gamers. Also expect to be in pain after playing it for some time. It will be a good pain as you will have worked parts of yourself that you didn't know you had. As I sit writing this I can feel some pain in my shoulders, thighs, feet and ankles. Nothing serious, but enough to know I'm getting a workout. Still, I'm itching to play some more.

Replies

• pinkarrow
    Options
    Am getting mine today finally!!! I've been on here plugging the Kinect and the Your Shape and Dance Central games since they came out even though I hadn't purchased them yet, LOL! So I am ready, willing, and able to start tracking calories with the new games! Literally am sitting here waiting for the stores to open so I can go get mine!!! Have fun with yours and keep us posted on your fitness results using it! :)
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    I cannot not stop raving about my Kinect. Your Shape:FE really is an awesome program for fitness. I am starting with using the personal trainer 3x a week. I will continue to do the treadmill 30 minutes each day too, but I have started before and after the threadmill doing the Zen class. For me, it helps solve the problem of getting a full body work out w/out having to commit to a gym. Where I live my options are limited and expensive. :(

Dance Central is a lot of fun, we got it for our party/play game.

One thing left out above is the Kinect Adventures that comes with the system. I have to say, its a lot of fun with very high activity.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I cannot not stop raving about my Kinect. Your Shape:FE really is an awesome program for fitness. I am starting with using the personal trainer 3x a week. I will continue to do the treadmill 30 minutes each day too, but I have started before and after the threadmill doing the Zen class. For me, it helps solve the problem of getting a full body work out w/out having to commit to a gym. Where I live my options are limited and expensive. :(

Dance Central is a lot of fun, we got it for our party/play game.

One thing left out above is the Kinect Adventures that comes with the system. I have to say, its a lot of fun with very high activity.

I briefly mentioned Kinect Adventures. It is fun and comes with the system. For an included game it is pretty good.
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    lol sorry about that... still adjusting to being awake during normal people hours :P
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    Went this morning and got my new Kinect and Dance Central and Your Shape Fitness games! Just got done working out to both and burnt some serious cals! :) It is the coolest gadget ever and I can't say enough about it! :)
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I'm loving the Kinect! I got mine this weekend and must have spent 4 or 5 hours playing on Saturday. I only have Dance Central and Kinect Adventures, but that is easily enough to keep me entertained.

To talk a bit more to Kinect Adventures, there are some great games that give you a lot of activity even though it's not a "fitness focused" game like Your Shape Fitness. Unlike Wii Sports (where some games barely do more than ask you to move your arm and swing a bowling ball) the included-in-the-box KA will seriously get you moving! Many of them have you ducking and jumping like a real life Mario to get points and you work up a sweat quickly!

If you're thinking about getting the Kinect I highly recommend it! I can't wait to get Your Shape Fitness and the Zumba Fitness!
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had some family and friends over and they loved it, especially Dance Central.

Your Shape is a great workout but if that woman tells me my stance is not wide enough one more time, I'm going to throw my controller. Oh wait, there is no controller..

My biggest complaint is that my feet are sore.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    Your Shape is a great workout but if that woman tells me my stance is not wide enough one more time, I'm going to throw my controller. Oh wait, there is no controller..

LOL! She did that to me too, or told me my arms weren't high or low enough!
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    Haha I get that too, my dog messed up one exercise by walking in front of me lol. The more I do it the more I am figuring out how to correct my movements or stance. A lot of times I think I am matching the trainer but I am off. Also, I think my baggy workout shorts trip it up some. I will say that I have been doing the zen class before and after every work out and it does wonders. I even started using it as my warm up/cool down for the treadmill. Tomorrow I am going to do the card boxing class.

I will say, after the first night I thought I was going to die, I went out and bought aspercream for the first time. Lol, I thought I was getting in a lot better shape as I have no issues hitting 4 miles in 60 minutes on my treadmill now. A far far cry from the first week w/it and barely able to do 20 minutes and .4 miles lol.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    I can literally feel my body changing thanks to the personal trainer for Your Shape Fitness Evolved! I have gone down 1 inch from my waist! I haven't tried cardio boxing yet for it, but plan on doing so after I get back home from my trip... This week is going to kill me b/c I'll be away from my Kinect! :(

I am looking forward to a couple of more games for it including Zumba and the exercise game with one of the Spice Girls, can't remember the name of the game at the moment... oh well, looking forward to adding those to my collection!
  • Lizzybluts
    Lizzybluts Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you for posting this blog!! I was undecided if I should spend the money on an Xbox and Kinect but after reading all of your posts, I went out and got one yesterday.

To my surprise, it was so easy to hook up. I found myself trying it out and exercising at 1 AM! The game that came with it was so much fun, it did not feel like working out.

I am so happy I bought this for myself. It is going to be a motivating way to get back in shape. Besides, I have 9 grandchildren who will love having this game at Grandma's house.

I also got the Biggest Loser's game and look forward to figuring that out later today.

Thanks!!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    This review is so timely, as we just ordered a Kinect/360 bundle for our son for Christmas. We already had a 360, but we found a bundle that included a new 360 for only $299, so we figured it was worth it. The 360 we have is a replacement for one that suffered from the red ring of death, so it seemed worth the few extra bucks to have a backup 360. :-)

If anyone is interested in the bundle we found, check Barnes & Noble. It was the best deal we found. If you find one better, I don't want to know about it! LOL
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear this. We are getting one for Christmas for our family. Should be fun!
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome!

I have one question though. When they first introduced it, they mentioned that the Kinect sensors can sense about how much you weigh.. is that feature available and at all accurate?
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Kinect is a lot of fun! But I ended up selling mine. Really the only games worth buying is Dance Central and Kinect Sports. And they get boring after so long.