Having Trouble Eating Calories

Options
I am currently in a situation I've never been in before. I can't eat all my calories.
That's right, folks. I can't even eat 1200 calories a day.

I'm usually an emotional eater but I have recently gone through a very traumatic and different experience in my life and I'm just too stressed and upset to eat. I am also on a medication that causes weight loss and loss of appetite.

I want to lose weight but I also want to do it in a healthy way. I'm just at a loss as to what to do. I am hoping that maybe someone has been in a similar situation and can offer me some advice as to some things I can try to do. I'm eating a meal and a half a day and walking for an hour and I've lost too much weight too quickly.

Help?!

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Try adding high calorie good foods to your diet. Like nuts, peanut butter, milk, cheese. You won't have to eat more but will get your calories up

PS LOVE your quote :smile:
  • mary020378
    Options
    A few years ago i did the food suppressant pill and water pill through a doctor. i didn't want to do that either but with having two kids, one with special needs i had trouble finding the time to exercise and all i wanted to do was eat. so i turned to that. it helped a lot to be on that. it helped me cut back on eating cuz i got so full after eating half of what i had on my plate. i had lost 38 lbs with that. then i went off of it. kept it off for a while but i had put about 35 lbs of it back on. but i am not going to go back to the pills. i am just eating the calories that i got for the day and i am exercising. my problem is i am going over the 1200 not by much now. not since i first started. but anyway if you arent not eating all the 1200 thats ok unless you are way under then i dont know what to suggest.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am scared to add things like peanut butter or regular milk because I feel like they will add too much fat to my diet. I didn't think of nuts. That's a great idea!

Mary, my pill is actually not intended for weight loss. These are just side effects. I am on it for an entirely different reason. I am very under my calories. I have 500 or more calories left each day. A few days I even had 800+ calories left. :(
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I find adding alot of fruits and veggies to my menu, adds up my calories quickly. I have fruits with breakfast and at each of my snack times....

Also add couple cups of veggies to your lunch and dinner and that can help as well.

Nuts are high in calorie and good for you. Add 1 oz with one of your fruit snack and thats good. My morning snack, I have a fruit, 1 oz almonds with raisins.

Just stuff like that

Goodluck
  • caitlinclock
    Options
    Thanks miqisha. You just gave me the idea of making smoothies. I think it may be easier to drink the calories. Maybe by putting the fruit in a blender it will help too. Thank you very much for your suggestions.
  • queenofdisney
    Options
    Hey Caitlin!

Nuts are really good to add to your diet. They are high in calories but it's the right kind of nutrients that help.

Try eating more protein/fiber to help fill you up.

Also stuff like oatmeal and soups and warm foods like that help fill me up and can me a meal in and of itself.

This is truly a unique problem! I have the opposite problem, I'm always hungry :(
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Thanks miqisha. You just gave me the idea of making smoothies. I think it may be easier to drink the calories. Maybe by putting the fruit in a blender it will help too. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

A smoothie is a great idea, and try adding a high quality protein powder to it. This will give you the nutritional support and a reasonable amount of calories, without the fat. I buy my protien powder at Whole Foods.

You are smart to address this, knowing this will not be a healthy way to lose the weight.

Lucy
  • caitlinclock
    Options
    Aw thanks Helen. <3

Those are some great ideas. Thank you. I do love oatmeal and maybe I can use the ideas from others and put the nuts/fruit in it!

It is a weird problem especially because I'm usually an emotional eater too!
  • caitlinclock
    Options

A smoothie is a great idea, and try adding a high quality protein powder to it. This will give you the nutritional support and a reasonable amount of calories, without the fat. I buy my protien powder at Whole Foods.

You are smart to address this, knowing this will not be a healthy way to lose the weight.

Lucy

Thank you very much! I am really trying to do everything right this time. It's not just about reaching your goal but it is about how you get there. Protein powder is a fantastic idea! Thank you so much!!