Maintaining during the holidays???

Options
What is your advice for not gaining weight during the holidays? I am still counting calories and staying active with my training schedule but those homemade cookies are pretty difficult to leave alone! I'd appreciate any tips you've got that might help me maintain and not gain during the next couple of weeks!

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Keep your exercise schedule as close to normal if possible- for me, I'm even working out on Xmas. I'm doing an exercise DVD at home- after we do our presents. why not? I want to and it's 1 hour of my day. Small portions of the "good stuff". Do not focus on the scale. Also, do not lounge around in sweats. Wear your jeans and you will be aware when they are getting too snug.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining during the holidays just like I was maintaining earlier in the year. Neither my eating nor exercise habits have changed. Well, I do have to wear a bit more when running, but that's about it. No need to deprive yourself either, if you want a cookie or two, go ahead, but fit it into your meal plan.

There is no reason at all to change what you've been doing just because it's the holidays. Whatever you've been doing to achieve success, keep doing it
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Sorry no advice on maintaining from me as I fully expect to gain over the holidays, anything up to 5 lbs in fact.

Difference this year is I know that I can lose it all again fairly quickly and isn't that the point of the lifestyle change, that we can enjoy times like Xmas, Summer Holidays, Thanksgiving etc and still have a net loss or net maintenance when the whole 365 days are taken into account :-)
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    "It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year's, it's what you eat between New Year's and Christmas...." I agree, but unfortunately my "Christmas" starts around December 10th when the baking, staff parties, lack of routine sets in, so my holidays end up being a good three weeks. I've lost all sense of discipline these days. Don't have much wisdom; just know you're not alone.

I'm a mom of three and I've decided that once these goodies and junk are gone, we are bringing less of the crap into the house!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Easy - don't lose your mind. Plan around your sweets. If you want to make time to do a little more exercising, you will. If not, then you can deal with the consequences in mid-January. You know what you need to do, so do it.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Well, you could figure out how many calories each of those cute little cookies are ....... that might make you toe the line :laugh:

I do my best to get extra exercise, and I avoid bread and pasta so I can have a cookie or two ....... but they'd better be the best damn cookies ever !
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Just limit the indulgences and eat lots of vegetables to fill up. Drink more water than beverages that are high in calories.

I have no interest in maintaining over the holidays. I'm going to keep burning the fat off! That is what I did last year, too.
  • AnaApplegate
    Options
    There is a great book that's currently helping me with that. Over the last at least three years when Christmas and Thanksgiving rolled around I really didn't know how to "watch it" weight wise. I'm happy to share the link with you, this year I have made a HUGE improvement and difference. I'm proud to say that this time, I have not gained a single pound and I'm pretty confident that I can remain this way through Christmas. Here is the link : http://d5398akklxq741f-msueqnr280.hop.clickbank.net/
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    What is your advice for not gaining weight during the holidays? I am still counting calories and staying active with my training schedule but those homemade cookies are pretty difficult to leave alone! I'd appreciate any tips you've got that might help me maintain and not gain during the next couple of weeks!

I am actually in not one, but TWO challenges at the gym. One of them is called "Santa Slimdown" and runs from Nov 18th to Dec 30th. The goal is to at least maintain, if not lose, during the holiday season...instead of gaining the typical 5-10lbs. On the other one, the goal is to log 600+ minutes at the gym during the month of December. I personally have 890 minutes so far, despite a snow day for the kiddos, and taking 2 days off for my dad's funeral.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Don't make cookies? lol

Seriously, just work it in to your day, accept that you're going to eat more but try and keep up with your exercise. Its only a week afterall you can't do too much damage!
  • terra819
    terra819 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Although my diet is suffering during these holidays (I have been sticking to my calorie limit about every other day), I have shifted my focus from net caloric intake to minimum weekly mileage. I am focusing on keeping running even though it is cold and dark out and hopefully this will get me through the holidays with 0-2 lbs gained.
  • Vicks1978
    Vicks1978 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's one day is what I am focusing on, and its that one day I will have a nice roast dinner, pudding and alcohol and that's it.
    New Years eve for me is going to be all about the new year ahead and I will start back been good on boxing day.
    I'm also finding the time off work is great to get more exercise in such as walking and swimming, the pool is even open on xmas day (a hotel) so I'm thinking of even going in then....for me its about how bad do you want this? or do you want a nice christmas more instead. Last year I pigged out and gave up on MFP and it ended up taking me months to get back where I was, for what? just some silly holiday where we all go crazy gorging on food.

Good Luck all, we can get through it !!
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your advice! :o)
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

I am actually in not one, but TWO challenges at the gym. One of them is called "Santa Slimdown" and runs from Nov 18th to Dec 30th. The goal is to at least maintain, if not lose, during the holiday season...instead of gaining the typical 5-10lbs. On the other one, the goal is to log 600+ minutes at the gym during the month of December. I personally have 890 minutes so far, despite a snow day for the kiddos, and taking 2 days off for my dad's funeral.

I love the idea of your Santa Slimdown Challenge! What great motivation to enjoy the treats but in moderation. It sure sounds like it is working for you!

I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • brminor
    brminor Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try to plan ahead! I am having Christmas dinner at my mom's house and I know there is going to be quite a spread. So I volunteered to make my broccoli/chicken casserole. It will be probably be the healthiest thing on the menu so I figure if I eat more of that and less of the ham, mac & cheese, cookies, pies and whatever else my mom is making, I should at least break even. Good Luck!!!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If you're eating more during this time of year put it to good use. Hit the heavy weights and build some muscle during this time of year. Do it till till superbowl sunday. Then when you go back into a deficit you have some extra muscle on your frame and look better. Now don't eat like crazy and not track and call it a bulk.
  • BroSciencePhD
    Options
    What's the difference if it's holidays or not? How do you maintain your weight when it's not the holidays? You hit your calories goals. That's it.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    if there are 20 varieties of cookie to choose from. i will get one each, oh heck maybe 2 each.
    i just create a buffer during a feast, so i dont have to worry about weight gain or guilt.
    add me up and i will share you my protocols on how to handle holiday feast!
    let the eating begin!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The goal is to at least maintain, if not lose, during the holiday season...instead of gaining the typical 5-10lbs.
    QFT. I don't have to be perfect, I just have to be good enough.

I'm enjoying holiday yumminess in moderation. When offered treats that don't wow me (like white "chocolate"), I just say no. But if it's something that makes me happy (like mince tarts), I fit it into my macros.

And I try to get as much outdoor fun as I can: walks with friends, snowball fights, sledding...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

Calm_down.gif

enjoy the holidays.
    eat a cookie or 12.
    drink a glass of wine.....or a couple bottles.

dont ruin the holidays with panic. :flowerforyou: