That College Food Stereotype

Options
Hi! I'm new to MFP, and a college student struggling to find healthy choices around campus. Everything that would normally be healthy (think sautéed veggies or eggs) is SLATHERED in oil... Total bummer! We're only allowed mini-fridges in our room and storage space is limited, so grocery shopping is somewhat limited as well. Anyone have any tips or good dorm staple foods that they stick to (or sticked to) when they are (or were) in college?

Replies

• inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Bagged salads, grilled chicken, and fruit.
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oswala smoothies, grilled salmon/chicken, hard boiled eggs. fresh fruit and raw vegetables, bagels, plain pasta, skim milk, bagels, steel cut oatmeal from Jamba Juice, Trader Joe's salads and nuts
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to MFP, and a college student struggling to find healthy choices around campus. Everything that would normally be healthy (think sautéed veggies or eggs) is SLATHERED in oil... Total bummer! We're only allowed mini-fridges in our room and storage space is limited, so grocery shopping is somewhat limited as well. Anyone have any tips or good dorm staple foods that they stick to (or sticked to) when they are (or were) in college?

Heya. I'm in university too and just have a mini fridge that I use but we have a shared freezer that stuff can be put in. If you have the time to cook then pots of bolognese or making big portions of pasta or casseroles or anything else could be a good idea then freezing it.
    If not you could do what I do and just walk to the supermarket and buy stuff as you need it. Adds a little bit of extra exercise with all the walking anyways. xD
  • nadnoda586
    nadnoda586 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    uhh me too , ever since i went to college , all of what i eat is junk and sweets

it's terrible and i gained a few pounds . i'm just starting MFP , i really hope it helps :D
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna! You can keep some mayo or sour cream in your mini-fridge or even mix it with olive oil instead. Nuts for snacks, fresh fruit if there's a place nearby or settle for canned. If your dining hall does a made to order thing, request that they go light on the oil. My school had a salad bar that had more than just leaves. You could possibly make something filling but low cal there?

ETA: Find out if your residence hall has a kitchen. When I was an RA, we would let the residents store stuff in the fridge. The kitchen was kept locked and only an RA could let somebody in.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student myself (I live off campus though) but what I do is log all my meals BEFORE going on campus for the day. I stick to what I've logged at the times I allot. I would succumb to all the amazing food choices otherwise. Usually I stick to Chick-fil-a chicken tenders and side salads for lunch. It's kind of boring, but it works.