Cooking Challenge: Bananas

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the fifth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from egbkid who was the winner of the sweet potato challenge.

685eae28a64417ee4b2bfba7ebeb100e.jpg

This week's challenge is BANANAS!

This is our first challenge involving a fruit. What will you guys do with it?!

While full of potassium, dietary fiber, and Vitamin C bananas don't contain sodium, fat, or cholesterol. Because of the combination of high potassium and low sodium, bananas help reduce the risk of high blood pressure. Bananas contain natural sugars which give your body a substantial energy boost when you need it most.

Banana (1 medium 7"-7 7/8" long)
105 calories
0 grams fat
0 mg cholesterol
1 mg sodium
422 mg potassium
27 grams carbs
3 grams dietary fiber
14 grams sugar
1 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Posting because I have been making some yummy recovery shakes with Banana ... have to try a few more in order to post the best one!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Oh, yay! I have already planned out my menu for next week and was afraid I wouldn't be able to participate in the cooking challenge. I can easily fit bananas into a snack, dessert or breakfast! :) Can't wait to see everyone's recipes!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    OMG SO IN on this one! We have bananas ALL the time (freezing a PB and banana for a sweet snack as we speak)

I am going to try to make something new with this :bigsmile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    BUMP for when I get back... Love love love bananas and I know exactly what I'm going to make! WOOT!
  • ElvenMother427
    Options
    Bump....be back later today with something :):)
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I make a banana shake
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Whiz Bang Banana Muffins

1 cup flour
    1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/3 cup milk
    1 egg
    2 Tbsp cooking oil
    1 large banana, cut up.

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In a blender, combine milk, egg and oil. Cover and blend smooth. With blender running, add banana and blend into mixture.

Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake in 400 F oven for about 20 minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 164

HOW MANY IT SERVES: Six (muffin tops)

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: YUMMY!! Made them several times.

tried pictures on flicker, all i got was the 'broken pic' picture :-(
    taking it directly from my blog made it HUGE about a foot high, i think because i take pictures in high-def.

http://mmmhomecooking.blogspot.com/2010/09/whiz-bang-banana-muffins.html

here are the pictures!
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    Whiz Bang Banana Muffins

1 cup flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 egg
    2 Tbsp cooking oil
    1 large banana, cut up.

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In a blender, combine milk, egg and oil. Cover and blend smooth. With blender running, add banana and blend into mixture.

Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake in 400 F oven for about 20 minutes.

It sounds great but you didn't list the milk in the ingredients, how much milk?
  • egbkid
    Options
    Haha, this has been posted on my blog for 3 months and i never noticed it before! Thanks! I have edited my post it is 1/3 cup.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Whiz Bang Banana Muffins

1 cup flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/3 cup milk
    1 egg
    2 Tbsp cooking oil
    1 large banana, cut up.

tried pictures on flicker, all i got was the 'broken pic' picture :-(
    taking it directly from my blog made it HUGE about a foot high, i think because i take pictures in high-def.

http://mmmhomecooking.blogspot.com/2010/09/whiz-bang-banana-muffins.html

here are the pictures!

I want a muffin top pan! Where'd you find it?
  • egbkid
    Options
    at a small specialty cook / house & home shop. I don't know if it is a local business or a franchise, it is called Decor8.
    they have all kinds of weird baking stuff that you would not find elsewhere. Try Parderno, though, they might have them.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Steamed Banana Cake
    INGREDIENTS/DIRECTIONS: http://abc-lolita.blogspot.com/2010/11/tianas-kitchensteamed-banana-cake.html
    Photo process!
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 106
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I added too much baking soda, so I showed that in my recipe. Also the banana was not quite as ripe as baking bananas should be, so the banana flavor was not as strong :( I think I will try this again next time we get bananas! Need the banana to be almost BROWN! The texture was nice though :)
    PICTURE:
    cakeu.jpg

EDIT: for some reason photobucket does not work, so I tried this on imageshack
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump! can't wait to see what's added!
  • carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    just bought bananas, will have to try a couple recipes
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Frozen Banana split dessert
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 medium bananas, sliced
    1 (8oz) container Fat free cool whip
    1/2 C splenda granular
    1 (16 oz) bag frozen strawberries (unsweetened)
    1 (20 0z) can crushed pineapple, drained
    1 (8 oz) package fat free cream cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Mix splenda with the cream cheese. Stir in the other ingredients. Line 2 loaf pans with plastic wrap and divide mixture between each pan and spread evenly. Freeze for 6 hours. Lift out of loaf pan and peel off wrap. Slice each loaf into 6 pieces. Wrap leftovers in plastic and freeze.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Calories: 113
    Fat- 0
    Protein: 3
    Carbs: 24
    Fiber: 2
    Cholestrol: 2
    Sodium: 115

WW Points: 2

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 12

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
    It has been awhile since I have made this, and I couldn't find the website that I used, since I had it written down. It may have even been in a book. It is soooo delicious though, especially when you are craving a banana split; even the kids loved it!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Chai Banana Bread (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Chai-Bread/Detail.aspx)

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup Neufchatel cheese
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 bananas, mashed
    1/4 cup brewed chai tea

DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

2. In a separate bowl attached to a stand mixer, cream together the sugar, Neufchatel cheese, and eggs until light and fluffy. Mixed mashed bananas and chai into the wet mixture. Continue to combine.

3. Add flour mix and mix until smooth.

4. Pour mixture into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.

5. Bake at 350 for one hour.

CALORIES PER SERVING:
    159 calories per serving, 242 milligrams sodium

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 12

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: It looks pretty, but I haven't tasted it yet. I baked it on a study break tonight but I won't actually be having a slice until breakfast tomorrow. I'll post then and let everyone know how it turned out!

PICTURE (optional):
    IMG_3674.jpg
  • egbkid
    Options
    since everyone else's pictures seem huge to; i will post mine :-) I just know large pictures are killer for people on dial up!

DSC01809.JPG

Whiz Bang Banana Muffins!
  • valeriedent2
    Options
    I made these last week, and they're getting better and better every day! As a side note, I baked the first tray for the full 25 min, but they really didn't need that long. The second tray I took out at 20 minutes, and they weren't as dry. So, depending on your oven, you may want to watch them.

Courtesy www.weelicious.com

Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies (Makes 30 Cookies)

3 Bananas (preferably ripe or spotty bananas)
    2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
    1 Cup Dried Dates, pitted and chopped fine
    1/4 Cup Oil
    1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
    1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips, Walnuts or Raisins
    1/4 Tsp Salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mash bananas in a bowl, and mix in the remaining ingredients.
    3. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
    4. Using a mini ice cream scoop or tablespoon, place the batter onto a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet.
    4. Bake for 25 Minutes.
    5. Cool and serve.

** To make into bars – place dough in a greased 7×11 dish, bake for 35-40 minutes then allow to cool. Cut into bars or squares.
    **To Freeze: allow cookies to cool after baking then place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 3 months.

Per Cookie:
    Calories: 84
    Carbs: 13
    Fat: 3
    Protein: 1
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Chai Banana Bread (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Chai-Bread/Detail.aspx)

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: It looks pretty, but I haven't tasted it yet. I baked it on a study break tonight but I won't actually be having a slice until breakfast tomorrow. I'll post then and let everyone know how it turned out!

I just ate a slice of the bread and I really loved it. I put it in the microwave for a minute to warm it up and had it with a glass of chocolate soy milk. I think I probably should have used some stronger chai to pull out more of the spicy flavor from it, but I used what I had which was a chai green tee mix. I can taste some of it though, but I can tell that with the stronger flavor from the tea it would be even better.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    bump for later!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE bananas!!