Hello

Options
My name is Anthony. I live in Providence, Utah. I am a transplant from Oklahoma. I am married. I am diabetic. I want to reduce my weight until I am 190 pounds. I hope this will reduce my overall blood sugars and increase my energy. I welcome any suggestions that you may offer.

Replies

• benny_haha
    Options
    Hey hey Anthony! My oldest brother has the ole diabetes. It's tough from what I've seen and experienced with him. One of the major things from what I've gathered is to eat often, which I'm sure you know, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is some good info I have had for a while and has been updated according to recent studies.

**During digestion, sugars and starches break down into blood glucose. Focus on the healthiest carbohydrates, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes (beans, peas and lentils) and low-fat dairy products.
    -Fiber-rich foods. Fiber can decrease the risk of heart disease and help control blood sugar levels. Foods high in fiber include vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes (beans, peas and lentils), whole-wheat flour and wheat bran.
    -Heart-healthy fish. Eat heart-healthy fish at least twice a week. Fish can be a good alternative to high-fat meats. Fish such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardines and bluefish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which as you know promote a healthy cardiovascluar system by lowering blood fats called "triglycerides".
    -Foods containing monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats such as avocados, almonds, pecans, walnuts, olives, and canola, olive and peanut oils can help lower your cholesterol levels.

**Diabetes increases your risk of heart disease and stroke by accelerating the development of clogged and hardened arteries.
    -High-fat dairy products and animal proteins such as fatty beef, hot dogs, sausage and bacon contain saturated fats. Get no more than seven percent of your daily calories from saturated fat.
    -Trans fats: These types of fats are found in processed snacks, baked goods, shortening and stick margarines. STAY AWAY from these little devils
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Anthony!

Have you ever thought about going low carb, high fat? Apparently that's very helpful for for people that are diabetic. If you want more information you can take a look at dietdoctor.com. I'm also eating low carb high fat, but I'm not diabetic. So I can't say from my own experiences if it helps. But I feel a lot better! Here is another link that might be interesting for you: http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Welcome you are definitely at the right place to make a complete lifestyle change and become healthier!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Welcome Anthony...You've made the right choice. Great place to adjust your diet and get healthier.