Thinking of relocating

Options
la8ydi
la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
My youngest is a senior in HS this year and she's looking to go to college somewhere south (we're currently in Michigan). She's been accepted to Univ. of TN and Ole Miss - waiting for answers from UNC, Univ. of Georgia, Tulane, and Rice. ANYWAY, there is really nothing holding me here...so I'd love to get out of the cold...and I can transfer my job pretty much anywhere. Anyone have any advice (positive or negative) about NC, TN, Georgia, or Mississippi??? (Ole Miss is probably her first choice of state schools - and she's all for me moving closer.) And no, I'm not a helicopter parent - she will have the entire college experience...I just may be able to get in-state tuition if I choose to move south. Anyone, anyone?

Replies

• Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Generally, they only get instate tuition if they've lived in the state for 1 full year prior to starting college. If they attend the first year full time as an out of state resident, their residency status cannot change to instate. If, however, she only goes part time the first year, she should be eligible for instate tuition the second year, assuming you've lived there her entire first year.

Just something to consider and definitely look into it before making that big a decision.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    My youngest is a senior in HS this year and she's looking to go to college somewhere south (we're currently in Michigan). She's been accepted to Univ. of TN and Ole Miss - waiting for answers from UNC, Univ. of Georgia, Tulane, and Rice. ANYWAY, there is really nothing holding me here...so I'd love to get out of the cold...and I can transfer my job pretty much anywhere. Anyone have any advice (positive or negative) about NC, TN, Georgia, or Mississippi??? (Ole Miss is probably her first choice of state schools - and she's all for me moving closer.) And no, I'm not a helicopter parent - she will have the entire college experience...I just may be able to get in-state tuition if I choose to move south. Anyone, anyone?

Been on Campus for UT, Ole Miss, UNC, and UGA (I went to Auburn for my UnderGrad and Grad work) so I am pretty familiar with the SEC schools and the SEC experience. Do not know much about the Ole Miss area, but I can talk about UGA, Auburn and UNC (live in the UNC area now)). Send me a PM if you want to discuss those areas more.
  • la8ydi
    Options
    Generally, they only get instate tuition if they've lived in the state for 1 full year prior to starting college. If they attend the first year full time as an out of state resident, their residency status cannot change to instate. If, however, she only goes part time the first year, she should be eligible for instate tuition the second year, assuming you've lived there her entire first year.

Just something to consider and definitely look into it before making that big a decision.

You're right - in-state tuition would only be a perk/plus of me moving, not the reason. So I'm trying to make an informed decision...I've read a lot, but getting opinions from people who have actually lived or visited there seemed like a good choice. I'm trying to make a good decision...not something I'll regret. And thanks for the info. ;-)
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Visit in the summer. The entire American southeast has the most disgusting summer weather I've ever experienced, and I live in Arizona.

*shudder*

(Sorry, southerners. You are stronger people than I am.)
  • la8ydi
    Options
    Visit in the summer. The entire American southeast has the most disgusting summer weather I've ever experienced, and I live in Arizona.

Disgusting as in...what? I'm assuming you don't mean heat, since you're from Arizona. Seriously not trying to be sarcastic - looking for clarification. Thanks.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bumping for later - I plan on doing the same thing in a few years!! Almost same area!
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I grew up in eastern NC, spent 30 years in the Asheville area and am VERY familiar with all part of NC, SC, TN, AL, GA ... let me know what you're looking for. If you want the true southern experience, any of these would work.

Rurul? Urban? Centrally located? Off the beaten path? Cost of living? Special interests/hobbies? I could give you a boatload of advice depending on what you want.

What do you want?
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options

*shudder*

At least in Southern Florida we have daily rain and a breeze. Been to Scottsdale in the summer for work and talk about terrible!! Holy crap, we couldn't get in our rental car for 10 mins due to the extreme heat.

I could never live there.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Anywhere in the south is nice, it really depends on what you're looking for.

NC has a pretty good economy, TN and GA as well.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    So living in any of those states will afford you a much better cost of living, especially if you can move with your current salary (seems you can).
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't know of the choices I would go with TN, I don't believe they have a state income tax, not 100% on that. I know FL and TX have no state income and I think one of those would be my preference. But for god sake whatever you do; get out of Michigan.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    In TN Nashville is an awesome place to live. In NC I absoultely love Charlotte I've lived in both places.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Disgusting as in...what? I'm assuming you don't mean heat, since you're from Arizona. Seriously not trying to be sarcastic - looking for clarification. Thanks.

They're talking about the humidity. It's brutal, especially when you come from a desert climate...that also has no summer bugs screwing up your bbqs.

Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand. If you want to move, then move. But I wouldn't suggest following your daughter around. She wants to go away so she can be on her own and she deserves the opportunity. If mom's dinner and laundry service is just a short drive away it won't be the same.
  • la8ydi
    Options
    I grew up in eastern NC, spent 30 years in the Asheville area and am VERY familiar with all part of NC, SC, TN, AL, GA ... let me know what you're looking for. If you want the true southern experience, any of these would work.

Rurul? Urban? Centrally located? Off the beaten path? Cost of living? Special interests/hobbies? I could give you a boatload of advice depending on what you want.

What do you want?

Lol - ok...I'm looking for laid-back, quiet, easy going...but not totally out in the stix kind of thing. I could do a fairly big city, but I'm better with small town kind of feel. I work at a daycare, so I would have to at least be within commuting distance to a fairly large city. Oh - and college football is a must. :-) I don't make a lot of money, so the cost of living should be fairly low. I don't want snow - or at least the amount of snow we get here - but not sure if I would like the "extreme" heat of places like Arizona. How's that? :-)
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

I am guessing that is referring to humidity!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    North Carolina is probably my favorite place to visit -- mountains on one side and coast on the other. I am not sure which UNC campus your daughter was looking to go to -- but I think Chapel Hill and Wilmington is are beautiful cities with lots of things to do.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm a UGA alumni. Nice school with GREAT programs. Will warn you that it had been one of the top 10 party schools in the nation for a very long time. Not sure where they rank now (I graduated over 10 years ago). Something to consider is what she wants to major in. If you have questions about UGA or Georgia, feel free to message me. And yes, it is VERY humid.

EDIT: Your daughter might have an edge applying to UGA as an out of state student. The college is super competitive to get into instate due to the HOPE Scholarship. Unless the rules have changed, HOPE pretty much allows instate students with a B average to get a free ride to Georgia public university (with some hoops to jump through of course).
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

*shudder*

At least in Southern Florida we have daily rain and a breeze. Been to Scottsdale in the summer for work and talk about terrible!! Holy crap, we couldn't get in our rental car for 10 mins due to the extreme heat.

I could never live there.

The Phoenix area (which Scottsdale is a part of) is awful in summer. Winters are even a bit overrated there. It is pretty common to have low temperatures in the 30s in the Phoenix area. Not something you think about when it is 105 or 110 in summer.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options

What do you want?

Lol - ok...I'm looking for laid-back, quiet, easy going...but not totally out in the stix kind of thing. I could do a fairly big city, but I'm better with small town kind of feel. I work at a daycare, so I would have to at least be within commuting distance to a fairly large city. Oh - and college football is a must. :-) I don't make a lot of money, so the cost of living should be fairly low. I don't want snow - or at least the amount of snow we get here - but not sure if I would like the "extreme" heat of places like Arizona. How's that? :-)

That gives me something to start with. On above comments, TN has no income tax, but it has a very high property tax. NC has a great economy but it's job markets are VERY tight and the cost of living there a lot higher than TN or AL. AL has the lowest cost of housing in the country and is the heaven for college football (and if you're the real thing, I don't have to explain why).

I am myself in AL now after having spent considerable years working and living in NC and TN ... if you want to avoid humidity, you can't beat the Asheville area of NC, which also has proximity to Knoxville and to the tri-cities area of eastern TN (and a nice regional university there at ETSU with lots to offer). Eastern NC is nice too but if you get near a city, you are in a high cost of living/housing and a very tight job market again.

Nashville is nice if you are a shopper but the traffic was a dealbreaker for me.

I am personally most in love with Birmingham, AL and am myself zealously looking for work there to settle in a place called Smith Lake, a residential community with 500+ miles of lakefront property at ridiculously low prices, proximity to Birmingham, the state's largest city (45 min-1 hr commute) and it's the second cleanest lake in the country (after Tahoe) which means I could swim in it from my own dock and my hubz can float the wooden boats he loves to build. And the prices ... ! OY! Check it out ... (B'ham also has a booming arts community) ...

If you are looking for a progressive, artsy, cool hipster city, you can't beat Asheville in the NC mtns ... learn all about it at MountainX.com ...

Atlanta is nice but too big for my taste. You can live in a city nearby (like B'ham) and still be a days drive away for special events. Chattanooga TN is another hipster artsy environment, with central proximity to Atlanta, B'ham, Huntsville, Nashville ...

Let me know if you need more info. :)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Summers aside (which are super-humid, as noted by other commenters), if you haven't moved around a lot while raising your sprogs, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Nothing wrong with the southeast, just offering a perspective as someone raised a military brat who now travels with work. Culture is very different between US regions. Nope, not drawing specific lines, but when you move across a large distance, there's a noticeable cultural shift, and you realize "you're not from around here."

Some of those differences are awesome, and some suck. Sometimes it's a mixed bag. Taste varies, and goodness knows my youngest loooooved everything about a region that the rest of the family was happy to leave. Huge YMMV.

Too many words to rec: see how you feel about your prospective area by either visiting for a while first!