How are we surviving the holidays??

Options
Ok so this last week has been so hard! Everywhere I look there's cookies and chocolates! I have a major sweet tooth so it's hard to say no. Everything in moderation right? Well what do I do when I eat just a little bit, but do that everyday? That's not really getting me anywhere....

Tonight is going to be tough. Dinner at my Uncles complete with mashed potatoes and stuffing....and cookies, ooooh the cookies.
Then tomorrow is lunch and dinner at my house, making sauce and chicken meatballs so It wont be too bad. SIL is bringing dessert (can't have christmas dinner without dessert right?)

Anyways what's everyones plan? How are we surving this holiday week?

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    see the food....eat the food.....maybe log the food.....work it off after \m/
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Word
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

997055.gif
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    In for stuffing. I love stuffing on the holidays.

But yes. Have fun, eat out. Burn off the calories later.. That's what new years resolutions are for right?
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options

This is my plan... except you forgot about drink the booze... I am planning to drink a lot to get through the holidays.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the food. Enjoy your family. Or drink. And enjoy the GD holiday.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    From all of the various strings on this, as well as my friends' posts, I see that I'm in the minority on this. But I'm going to log and stay under on calories. My MIL is keeping dinner simple, so I plan to have plain turkey (how I'd eat it anyway) with a healthy side I'm bringing. The MIL said she's just going to have cookies as dessert, and I already know that I'm not going to have any. My husband and others may want more for dessert, so I'm going to suggest to him that we go get a cake that he loves but I don't care for. I'm not stressing about this at all. My decision to be stay on track is made, and I just plan to enjoy my day. It's not about the food!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options

This is my plan... except you forgot about drink the booze... I am planning to drink a lot to get through the holidays.
    oh....thought the booze was implied, it's family after all.....\m/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If eating is just going to be about restriction and abstinence, then the approach to weight loss and maintenance will usually fail. Adjusting for some treats and high calorie foods (with the help from physical activity) by logging them or just having some of it should be how you do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If eating is just going to be about restriction and abstinence, then the approach to weight loss and maintenance will usually fail. Adjusting for some treats and high calorie foods (with the help from physical activity) by logging them or just having some of it should be how you do it.

I'd say this depends. I'm one who will abstain. It's not that I don't have treats. I've just decided that I'd rather really enjoy/savor a treat another time vs make the holidays about the food. (For me, I know that I'll enjoy a treat much more while sitting on my couch with a blanket and good book another day than while making small talk with relatives.) Knowing that I'll abstain really just frees me up to enjoy the day vs. worrying about how I should limit myself and thinking "if I have that, I shouldn't have that" or "ok, just one" (while I want more), or "I wonder how many calories are in this," etc. For me, I feel that I've really taken the focus off food for the day by deciding to abstain.

My ticker says I'm 43 pounds down, but I'm really down 84 from my high. I lost the rest about 10 years ago and kept it off. I'm a firm believer in everyone doing what works for them.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am eating on target for the days surrounding the holiday and then moderately enjoying the actual day or days of celebration (for example, eating a serving of things I normally wouldn't, but not three or four servings).
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I successfully lost weight during the holidays last year and I'm succesfully maintaining this year. My plan of action-

I'm not counting calories :bigsmile:

I am eating lighter on the days BEFORE the parties. Tonight we have one so today I've had a protein bar (160c) and I'll have a salad or a sweet potato early afternoon (under 400 c). Then tonight I'll eat as I want, guilt free-I'm aiming for at least 2,000 calories in mac n cheese :laugh:

I no longer 'sympathy' eat. In the past I would always take food because someone made it-that piece of pie grandma made, even though it's not a kind I like, a piece of fruit cake from aunt so and so, even though it tastes like dog food :tongue: Now I ONLY eat what actually looks good to me. If I'm not going to thoroughly enjoy it, then it doesn't go on my plate. This has cut out a lot of calories!

I will do my normal exercise routine. I ran this morning and tomorrow morning I'll do my strength training session before people come over to my house for a get together.

I've been to like 4 parties so far and I haven't gained an ounce :drinker:
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Eat anything I want and not worry about it. Continue working as usual...the end
  • AshlynG923
    AshlynG923 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Between Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas breakfast, and Christmas dinner calories will not be counting :smile:

It's not like I eat like this all the time. Someone posted the other day along the lines of "It's not what you eat from Thanksgiving to New Years but what you eat from New Years to Thanksgiving". I'm totally on board with that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i will be working out and logging everything…

if you are that concerned about it…eat little or nothing for breakfast and lunch so you save all your calories for dinner and dessert..problem solved
    /end thread
  • tonidarlingx
    tonidarlingx Posts: 25 Member
    Options

if you are that conceded about it…eat little or nothing for breakfast and lunch so you save all your calories for dinner and dessert..problem solved
    /end thread

I think you mean conceited.

I'll be eating what I want, when I want. I have the rest of the year to be good :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    What worked for me for Thanksgiving, and what I plan to do again for Christmas, is to log (so I have the information) but to be willing to accept maintenance for the week, so I'll let myself indulge pretty freely on Christmas Day. If I stick to my average deficit of roughly 700 calories on the other days in the week, that means I can eat 4200 calories above maintenance on Christmas. On Thanksgiving, eating pretty much whatever I wanted, I was only 600 to 700 calories above maintenance for the day, and I still lost weight that week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

if you are that conceded about it…eat little or nothing for breakfast and lunch so you save all your calories for dinner and dessert..problem solved
    /end thread

I'll be eating what I want, when I want. I have the rest of the year to be good :)

no, I meant concerned….stupid auto correct...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: How are we surviving the holidays??
    I am planning to drink a lot to get through the holidays.

It's not much of a holiday if we are just trying to 'survive' it.

Or 'get through' it, with booze.

Christmas really must suck.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

/end thread

I think he meant concerned (typo, not misspelling).