How much carbs should a Phase 4 RNY aim for?

Options
I know there's all sorts of info out there on low carb diets, etc., but I'm trying to figure out what the carb count for someone who has had a recent (6 weeks ago) gastric bypass should be. I have horrible problems with TMJ Disease and it's really easy for me to just rely on protein drinks to get my 60 gm of protein. That is, until I start trying to do anything at all active. Then I feel like my blood sugar is crashing, really woozy like, and I get sweaty and a bit nauseous and I have to sit down. My jaws are essentially bone on bone on both sides, and I've had multiple operations on my jaws. If they were knees, they'd be replaced, but they're jaws, so I'm stuck with them. Anyway, there must be some sort of minimum limit on the amount of carbs I need to get in. Help, anyone?

Replies

• mll69
    mll69 Posts: 1
    Options
    My nutritionist told me 50 g protein and 50 g carbs per day.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wait - isn't 50 grams of carbs and 50 grams of protein only 400 calories? You are only eating 400 calories a day? Or are you eating lots of fat or something??
  • GrammaTree
    GrammaTree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Protein is 4 cal/gm, carbs are 9 cal/gm. So it actually totals up to be more like 650 calories. I've had a gastric bypass, so yes, I'm averaging 650-750 cal/day. My challenge, and the reason for my questions, is that if I don't get around 45gm of carbs per day, I start feeling pretty weak and woozy pretty fast when I get active. With the Holidays on us, I've had things to do (who hasn't?) but more importantly, I need to increase my activity level to help accelerate weight loss. My surgeon's office dietician is apparently off this week, so I'll call her when I can, but I was looking for some sort of guidance in the meantime. (And no, I'm not eating lots of fat.)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Protein is 4 cal/gm, carbs are 9 cal/gm. So it actually totals up to be more like 650 calories. I've had a gastric bypass, so yes, I'm averaging 650-750 cal/day. My challenge, and the reason for my questions, is that if I don't get around 45gm of carbs per day, I start feeling pretty weak and woozy pretty fast when I get active. With the Holidays on us, I've had things to do (who hasn't?) but more importantly, I need to increase my activity level to help accelerate weight loss. My surgeon's office dietician is apparently off this week, so I'll call her when I can, but I was looking for some sort of guidance in the meantime. (And no, I'm not eating lots of fat.)

carbohydrates are 4kcal/gm fat is 9kcal/gm

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm

are you on any diabetic medications?
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Why are you worried about getting carbs? You should be avoiding carbs and concentrating on getting good food sources of protein. Cheese sticks, greek yogurt, etc.