25, tired, stressed and almost done trying

Options
Well, I used to a skinny little thing in HS, I was active, I ran all the time I was always going places and doing things. Then HS ended and real world began. I put off college for a few years to deal with family and work and the weight started to add up, a few pounds here a few pounds there. Fast forward to today, I'm married, 25 in school full time and working and those pounds that added up well they just kept adding right thru the stress of my husbands deployment the wedding the moves the constant changes. I always said I'd try something do something but I never really did. I'd stick to it for a week and then give up. You'd think being married to a military man would make it easier IT DOESN'T. Mostly it just makes you kinda embarrassed for being curvy when all the women they work with are skinny and in fabulous shape SO I decided instead of feeling unhappy with my body and insecure Im gonna do something about it. Im currently (sigh)155lbs which is about oh say 35lbs more than I was in HS and I'm looking to lose that weight by June of this year so that for the first time in a long time when bathing suit season hits I'll feel comfortable in my bikini again! I'm trying Herbalife im actually gonna order today or tomorrow, I bought a food scale to help me with portion control, I have a gym in my housing community and I have the will power for change so hopefully itll be soon and I have another goal, my husband and I are trying for a baby soon so I wanna be at a healthy weight before that happens so I can maintain my healthy eating habits for the babys sake and mine! Any help, advice, encouragement would be great and any healthy dinner recipes!

Replies

• k98speedy
    Options
    Hello,

Well your doing something right because you have a goal and a purpose for those goals. That's a good thing. Oh how HS ruins many a lives once we leave huh? Welcome and please feel free to add me as a friend. :) Michelle
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    One day (or one hour) at a time. I find that by persevering against the odds, sooner or later I look around, and suddenly realise that I am making progress towards my goals.

Hang in there
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You have found a great resource here... I wish you all the best. I had started and stopped for whatever reason for years. It was last January that i began my life changing journey and have found so many activities and things i never even thought to try !!! Remember you will make mistakes and have setbacks but don't give up!!!
  • Dinner tips: I've found that using a crock pot simplifies cooking. Vegetarian chili is fairly healthy and easy, for example. If you roast the peppers first, it adds a nice flavor dimension. You can also easily stew meats. Make large batches of healthy meals and freeze portions if possible!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Could I give you some advice? I really don't know anything about herbalife and what it's supposed to do, but you could save your money and save yourself from potential side effects by simply using this site to stay at a calorie deficit. I haven't lost much yet this time around, but several years ago, I did lose 25 pounds simply by eating less and exercising. You can do this!
  • SammieHendon
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate all the welcoming and positive feedback. I'm gonna really try and keep it up after the new year, I think the hardest part is being 3000+ miles away from family and friends and knowing no one here so I don't have anyone to keep me on track or accountable and my husbands gone a lot so if I wanna binge and eat the whole box of cookies or have a two liter and some popcorn I can and theres no one to know or tell me not too. It was easier when I had my girlfriends doing it to so I had some form of competition to keep my in check!
  • SammieHendon
    Options
    Wow I was just looking at some of your guys meters on the bottom is that your actual amounts of weight lost! 89lbs that's so amazing!
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Maybe your friends and / or family can sign up with MFP and help motivate you still? There are many tools in MFP to help motivate you like the success section etc. You can also ask questions on different treads
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Try making as many friends on MFP as possible, feel free to add me if you would like, and then open your diary so your friends can see what you ate for the day. It's a great way to have accountability. The more friends you have, the more people you have to be accountable to.
  • GothyFaery
    Options
    Could I give you some advice? I really don't know anything about herbalife and what it's supposed to do, but you could save your money and save yourself from potential side effects by simply using this site to stay at a calorie deficit. I haven't lost much yet this time around, but several years ago, I did lose 25 pounds simply by eating less and exercising. You can do this!

I not sure what herbalife is either but I agree with saving your money. A calorie defict is the best way to lose the weight and keep it off. Find your TDEE and subtract 20% and eat that many calories per day. After every 5 pounds, recalculate TDEE.
  • SammieHendon
    Options
    They are shakes that you take as meal replacements, they are supposed to be packed with protein and nutrients. I haven't ordered it yet but I have tried the shakes a few times here and there and they keep me full and help me to curb the mindless snacking, hot Cheetos, popcorn, cookies and all that jazz. I have no idea what TDEE stands for :(
  • GothyFaery
    Options
    TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's basically how many calories your body uses a day. If you eat less than that, you will lose weight. This is my favorite TDEE calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If you want to eat back your exersice calories, use a seditary activity level. If you choose a more active level (such as works out 3 times a week) don't eat back your exersice calories because they are already calculated into your TDEE-20%. I hope that helps.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'6 and was 154lbs and a US size 8 before getting pregnant with my third baby. I was happy with that, and fit and toned!

I lost 70lbs after my 2nd baby through lots of exercise and eating 1200 calories a day to begin with, then increasing to 1500 after reading the forums on here. Eating a decent amount definitely helped and that's when my body shape started to change more.

I wouldn't recommend herbalife or anything like that. You need to do something that's sustainable, and that's not going to make you hungry all the time!
  • SammieHendon
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and in all fairness I don't look really bad, I have large boobs and my dr likes to joke and say that's what tips the scale in a bad way for me but I'm not happy with it I wanna lose the 35lbs to get down to my HS weight and size!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and in all fairness I don't look really bad, I have large boobs and my dr likes to joke and say that's what tips the scale in a bad way for me but I'm not happy with it I wanna lose the 35lbs to get down to my HS weight and size!

Lol I have big boobs and hips.

Nothing wrong with wanting to get down to that weight, but I'd go for exercise and eating normally over replacement shakes anyday.

I'm 36 now and got down to the size I was when I was 24. Hoping I can do it again next year!
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Herbalife is a multi-marketing scheme where distributors buy product (from corporate) at a discount and resale through their network at a hefty mark-up. Nothing illegal, however, you can buy products for a heck of a lot cheaper elsewhere.

Then again, what is it that you are hoping an overpriced powder substance mixed into a an 8oz glass of non-fat milk is going to do for you?
  • SammieHendon
    Options
    I haven't bought it yet but im hoping it can boost my energy and help with meal replacement, its supposed to have all the nutrients you need in it to keep your body sustained so you can have them as a meal and maybe it'll help with my mindless snacking and eating. I haven' t tried it yet but I have seen tons of people do it and they seem to be getting good results.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought it yet but im hoping it can boost my energy and help with meal replacement, its supposed to have all the nutrients you need in it to keep your body sustained so you can have them as a meal and maybe it'll help with my mindless snacking and eating. I haven' t tried it yet but I have seen tons of people do it and they seem to be getting good results.

Like one a day? Two a day? What are you thinking?
  • SammieHendon
    Options
    I'm thinking I need to do something to get into better shape and eating better isn't doing it by itself so im trying anything at this point. It comes in packages for a month so I'd be trying it for at least a month.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and keeping it off is tough work. I go against the grain. I do not count calories. I suggest you find out the truth about dieting and calories and start the new year right. Get the new book (it will be out Dec. 31st) called "The Calorie Myth." I know the author and background of the book and it's all based on real science --- not calories in, calories out.

You are very young. You have lots of time hopefully to get your act together before you develop heart disease or diabetes or some other weight related ailment. Best of luck to you.