Cheat day

Options
When is ok to have a cheat day? Here lately I have wanted to cheat a little bit but I always talk myself into thinking that if I cheat I will set my self back so far that there will be no return, while I know that this is false it works every time. So I would like to know what kind of steps people take on their cheat days because I fear that I will start to become miserable with all of my diet restrictions. Also what will you guys be doing for christmas??

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal everyday :) if I don't I will binge :) Everything in Moderation
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When is ok to have a cheat day? Here lately I have wanted to cheat a little bit but I always talk myself into thinking that if I cheat I will set my self back so far that there will be no return, while I know that this is false it works every time. So I would like to know what kind of steps people take on their cheat days because I fear that I will start to become miserable with all of my diet restrictions. Also what will you guys be doing for christmas??

What would a cheat day look like for you?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    When is ok to have a cheat day?

Ultimately you have to decide that for yourself. It's your body, your life. You're in control.
    Here lately I have wanted to cheat a little bit but I always talk myself into thinking that if I cheat I will set my self back so far that there will be no return, while I know that this is false it works every time. So I would like to know what kind of steps people take on their cheat days because I fear that I will start to become miserable with all of my diet restrictions.

I don't have "cheat days." I have days where I decide to eat up to maintenance, about every 10 days or so usually, but it's been more like once or twice a week during the holidays. I'm still at deficit on other days, so I still lose weight pretty much every week (the only weeks I haven't lost weight I attribute to hormonal cycles). I also have days (Thanksgiving, Christmas) where I decide I can eat significantly over maintenance, knowing that if I'm at deficit the other days of the week, I should still be at maintenance for the week. Practically, though, I can't eat six days' worth of deficit calories beyond maintenance in a single day. I only ate 600 or 700 calories above maintenance on Thanksgiving, and my daily average goal currently is 700 calories below maintenance. So I lost two days' worth of deficits. I still lost weight that week. I may have to rethink this when I get to a smaller daily deficit, or to maintenance, but for now this is working.
    Also what will you guys be doing for christmas??

There are other threads on this subject you might want to check out.
  • aggiegirl121
    aggiegirl121 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Pizza and beer or wine for dinner
    Maybe lucky charms for breakfast lol.
    My cheat day would be more of a cheat meal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ...... Also what will you guys be doing for christmas??

Holy non sequitur, Batman!
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    ...... Also what will you guys be doing for christmas??

Holy non sequitur, Batman!

Thanks grammar officer! You're the best! :)
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Pizza and beer or wine for dinner
    Maybe lucky charms for breakfast lol.
    My cheat day would be more of a cheat meal.

You consider that a cheat day? ;-) I thought you were going to say it would consist of eating a pumpkin pie or something lol. A beer or glass of wine ain't that big of a deal. And how many calories could 1 cup of Lucky Charms possibly have in?
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I kinda don't believe in "cheat" days. Certain days and events I just eat and don't worry too much about it. I don't binge, I just don't freak about every calorie. I try to stick close to maintenance those days but if I go over, oh well, it isn't the end of the world, it's 1 day. I belong to the "it's a lifestyle change, not a diet" camp. I also try to fit treats like wine or Lucky Charms into my daily goals rather than consider that kind of thing a "cheat."
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    After years of making a huge lifestyle change, I realize that I let food control me. I was an emotional eater.

Now I eat an intentional cheat meal every 1-2 weeks. But there are days I may have that piece of Halloween candy or my favorite dessert. I don't beat myself up. I just don't bring the crap foods home, I eat OUT and don't bring the leftovers or entire box of donuts,lol!

I workout 5-6/ week, so I enjoy myself,my life and don't let food be the focus. Just do what feels good to u.

Life is short, enjoy!
    ???? ⛄Have a very Merry CHRISTmas Eve❗ ❗ ????

Shan
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    I guess I freak out because I'm currently not working out.. So all I have is my diet at the moment.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If the whole point of MFP is calories in vs. calories out, then a "cheat" day or even a "cheat" meal does not make sense. If you're within your allotted calories, then you're not really "cheating." If you go over, then you won't lose (or you won't lose as much). That being said, I eat less during the week and allow myself to eat (and drink) more on the weekends. I guess technically those are "cheat days," but I still log everything. Overall I still stay within my weekly calorie allotment. Ultimately though, you have to do what works for you.
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I kinda don't believe in "cheat" days. Certain days and events I just eat and don't worry too much about it. I don't binge, I just don't freak about every calorie. I try to stick close to maintenance those days but if I go over, oh well, it isn't the end of the world, it's 1 day. I belong to the "it's a lifestyle change, not a diet" camp. I also try to fit treats like wine or Lucky Charms into my daily goals rather than consider that kind of thing a "cheat."

This
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have what I call a "free day" every Saturday, as opposed to a "cheat day". I eat whatever I want. It is not unusual for me to eat 3 to 4000 cal on that day. I have dropped 22 pounds since 10/13/13, going from 217 down to 195. If I get any cravings during the week, I would just tell myself "I will have that Saturday" and then I do not feel like I am missing out on something. Many times, by Saturday I'm no longer craving whatever that was. If I am craving it still, then I Will eat it. I also exercise six days a week, therefore I am working very hard to take the weight off. This works very well for me but everyone has to figure out what works best for them and makes them happy.
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    cheat days are really important and they accelerate weight loss if done right .. on ur cheat day u should eat a min of 500 , max 1000 cals over ur maintenance level if u went over that range don't freak out and level it out by eating way less the day after but be careful coz doing so might lead to over eating the days after .
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat." I eat tasty foods I like every day. In fact, very few things I put in my mouth are not tasty foods I like. I just make sure that enough of those tasty foods are protein, enough of them are fat, enough of them are fiber, and so on... and then I make sure not to eat ALL THE TASTY FOODS at once. :smile:

I may go over my calorie net once in a while. Sometimes I compensate for it by going lower on other days so it balances out within the week... sometimes I just don't worry about it. I've been maintaining around my goal weight for about 6-7 months now. If I had to spend most of my days eating in a manner that made me feel deprived, I wouldn't be at my goal weight now.

The basic math of weight loss is universal and simple, but how to approach it is very much an individual thing. When choosing an approach, do consider whether you can see yourself doing it that way for the rest of your life... or even the next 3-5 years. If you can, then your transition to maintenance will probably be easier, and your likelihood of staying there higher.
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Today is my cheat day and perhaps my birthday too. Over and above that I have no plans. I am still new to MFP and after some adjustments to my food and exercise plan, I have a routine that works for me at the moment, so I do not plan to add any other cheat days yet.

I exercised a bit more before Christmas to minimise the impact of any extra calories and plan to add remaining calories to my calorie burning exercise plan afterwards.

Everyone is different. I know some people swear by their cheat days but I have yet to decide if regular cheat days are the way to go for me. As Christmas will be my first cheat day I will have to wait and see what impact this has.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Howdy Ag! Class of '80 here. There's good advice on this thread already. It's okay to eat stuff you like. It's best if you can fit it in within your goal numbers. But going over for a special occasion is fine. We didn't gain the weight in a day; we won't lose it in a day. Long term sustainable habits are the goal.

"Working out" doesn't mean going to a gym and busting your hiney, either. Any place you can add some extra movement helps. If you're on campus, I know you're doing a lot of walking. Make sure you have your activity level set properly.