Loving Home Made Soups

Options
I have recently re-discovered soup! When it gets cold, I crave comfort food. In the past, this has always meant high-fat, calorie dense, cheesy, greasy, deep-fried abominations. But my new go-to is soup. Basically I'll weigh out all the veggies, meat, rice, lentils or whatever that I am going to have for the night and throw it in a pot with some water and seasonings. Then I'll let it simmer all evening, returning with my mug whenever I want more. I get the feeling of going back for seconds without actually going over my calorie budget. Plus it keeps me warm and cozy. Any other soup lovers? What are your favorite ingredients to toss in?

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    love soup try chinese hot and sour soup OMG
  • UndoneTwo
    Options
    Oh dear. This isn't really a recipe. Maybe it should have gone in Food and Nutrition. Newbie here. Sorry! :embarassed:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. This isn't really a recipe. Maybe it should have gone in Food and Nutrition. Newbie here. Sorry! :embarassed:

nah it could work youll get a bunch of new ideas now
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump to add later
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love soups. My soup recipes are like yours. I throw stuff in with seasonings ! Unless I specifically follow a recipe and make something like cream of chicken or Indian chicken soup or the classic tomato soup. I love adding left over rice or some pasta to it. yummmmm. and garlic. Lots of garlic.
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    # Thai napa cabbage soup. Growing up; that was the only form of vegetable dish I would eat.
    Garlic
    Minced pork
    Bullion
    A dash of soy sauce
    Napa cabbage

# Cauliflower soup. A fix whenever I crave cream of mushroom.
    Cauliflower (frozen)
    Olive oil
    Garlic
    Onion
    Bullion
    Simmer and blend in blender

# Beef and vegetable
    Ground beef
    Butter beans
    Tomato
    Mixed vegetables
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My DD was in a soup mood last night so she bought a whole chicken and put it in a pot with a box of chicken broth and let it cook till it was tender and pulled all the meat off. Then she cut up carrots, celery and onion and threw that in. Then while that was simmering she made home made dumplings and added them along with some seasonings. OMG...it was SOO good...better than mine! She let me take home a container of it so I can have it for a lunch this week. Basic...easy ....but really delicious.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    . Winter or summer, rain or sunshine it doesn't matter the weather, I love soups, and I make extra to freeze
  • UndoneTwo
    Options
    Tonight's soup is:
    Left Over Lentils
    Spinach
    Green Onions
    Cilantro
    Garlic
    Lemon
    and Cayenne (because everything is better spicy)

Other favorite add ins:
    Broccoli
    Brown Rice
    Turkey Breast
    Chicken Breast
    Squash (In cubes)
    Sweet Mini Bell Peppers
    Sweet Potatos
    Peas

I have yet to try a combination that isn't delicious... Can't wait to try some of these ideas you guys! Yay!
  • UndoneTwo
    Options
    My DD was in a soup mood last night so she bought a whole chicken and put it in a pot with a box of chicken broth and let it cook till it was tender and pulled all the meat off. Then she cut up carrots, celery and onion and threw that in. Then while that was simmering she made home made dumplings and added them along with some seasonings. OMG...it was SOO good...better than mine! She let me take home a container of it so I can have it for a lunch this week. Basic...easy ....but really delicious.

Sounds great! AND leftovers?! Lucky you!!
  • UndoneTwo
    Options

# Cauliflower soup. A fix whenever I crave cream of mushroom.
    Cauliflower (frozen)
    Olive oil
    Garlic
    Onion
    Bullion
    Simmer and blend in blender

This sounds divine! I recently got an all-in-one food processor/blender/chopper/thingamabob that I was sure I needed for making delicious meals. Of course as soon as I got it home I couldn't think what I had wanted to put in it. It's sitting on the counter, still unused, glaring at me as we speak! Now I know what to use it for.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Love soup. Latest go to is egg drop. Mushrooms, carrots, green onions and a few spices with egg drizzled in.
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love soups, too! Especially lately. One of my current favorites...Pasta E. Fagioli. But I love 15 beans soup, Lentils and carrot soup, any type of stew. I would love to hear all the different soups everyone makes! Another favorite, trying anything new! Thanks for posting this!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,991 Member
    Options
    I love soups, infact we did soup today for christmas eve. I made chicken white bean chili and my daughter made chicken and dumplings, we also had spinach dip, sliced beef log, different kinds of cheese, 2 kinds of chicken wings, cheese ball, cream cheese with raspberry chipolte sauce........and lots of cookies and cheesecake yum.....
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I LOVE soup. There are so many different types I just never get bored with them. With all the heavy eating I've done over Christmas I really fancied soup this afternoon & just whizzed up a pea, lettuce & tarragon soup in under 20minutes. It was really light & yummy & no turkey in sight :happy:

I make dozens of varieties but some of my favourites are the most simple - leek & potato, chicken & vegetable are one I do regularly, I also love making smoked haddock & sweetcorn chowder.

I find that if I have had a few weeks of slacking off & eating a lot (like Xmas) or just eating junk that isn't that great nutritionally, I will eat homemade veggie based soups for lunch and/or dinner for a week or so and I feel tons better in myself as well as losing any water weight I was carrying from too much sodium.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than a hot bowl of soup on a cold day. I've got a pot of White Chicken Chili on now. The recipe came from an email from Blendtec.

White Chicken Chili
    This chili is packed with fiber and protein to help you feel full while providing the energy you need to accomplish everything on your to-do list.
    Ingredients
    1 can low-sodium chicken broth
    1⁄2 avocado, pitted and peeled
    2 cans northern white beans, drained and divided
    11⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
    1 can diced green chilies
    1 onion, diced
    1 can whole kernel corn, not drained
    1 tsp salt
    1⁄2 tsp black pepper
    11⁄2 tsp ground cumin
    1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
    1⁄2 bunch cilantro, for garnish; optional

INSTRUCTIONS

Add chicken broth, avocado, and ¾ cup of beans to the FourSide or WildSide jar and secure lid. Select "Sauces." Pour into a 4-quart slow cooker. Add remaining beans, chicken, green chilies, onion, corn, salt, black pepper, cumin, and garlic powder to slow cooker and mix well to blend flavors.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Garnish with cilantro and serve with corn bread or whole wheat folded tortillas.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I used left over roasted broccoli, acorn squash, cauliflower and onions- added some chicken stock and salt and pepper and blended it. It was yummy! Cheese, crackers and hot sauce as additions optional.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My 5 minute winter warmer go-to: seasoning + hot water + couscous + shredded salad leaves.

In summer, add less hot water so the couscous is dry.

I've eaten this nearly every day for the last two years!
  • gsnavley
    gsnavley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how to make Egg Drop Soup.