Protein shake for breakfast good or bad?

Options
I usually don't eat breakfast which I know is really bad so ive been having a protein shake(just water & powder) but have seen both good and bad things about having protein shakes & now im not sure weather it is good or bad to have protein shake for breakfast and how it will affect my weightloss?

Replies

• Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Makes no difference what time of day you have a protein shake. As long as you're meeting your daily calorie needs it will not effect your weight loss.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference what time of day you have a protein shake. As long as you're meeting your daily calorie needs it will not effect your weight loss.

Yup!
  • riacassandra
    riacassandra Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Does protein shake help weightloss??
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Protein shakes help you get more protein in your diet. Calorie deficit helps with weight loss.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    A high quality PROTEIN shake is going to be low calorie and high protein, with very little in the way of carbs or fat. Protein can help keep you feeling fuller longer, so if you have a tendency to snack on crap in the morning at the office, a protein shake beforehand might help.

You can also find "meal replacement shakes" that will be higher in fat and carbs, and lower in protein. Also, it'll be higher in calories. Which you chose will be dependent on your macro/calorie goals.

That said - not having breakfast isn't the end of the world! If you are not hungry in the morning, don't force yourself to eat! Save those calories for later, when you are hungry. Eating/not eating breakfast isn't going to make or break a diet - it's the number of calories you take in over the long haul that will decide that.
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    Do what works for you! If your feel good with no cravings or hunger and increased energy, then the protein shake works well for you. If you feel fine not eating, or like myself eating 700 calories for breakfast it doesn't matter. Do YOU!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i always drank a milkshake growing up. i was never a breakfast person.

i have some good ones:

If you like gingerbread, Oxygen magazine has a recipe for a delicious Gingerbread cookie shake: 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup vanilla enriched Rice Dream, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 T molasses, and ice cubes. Blend and drink ! Mmmmmm

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat vanilla yogurt. Blend and drink.

The Protein Packed Pina Colada smoothie is blended with the following ingredients: Cup cottage cheese, cup canned pineapple or cup pineapple juice, half a frozen banana, half a cup of milk, 1 T coconut, half a scoop vanilla protein powder, and a cup of ice cubes.

The Key Lime Protein Shake is blended with half an avocado, juice of a lime, 2 tsp lime zest, 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, 1 T coconut, a cup of milk, and 1-2 packets of Stevia (optional).

The Chocolate Maple Shake is made by blending a cup of milk, 3 T protein powder, 1 T cocoa powder, and 1 tsp maple syrup
    Last but not least, for a change, I blend a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat coffee yogurt. Also good!
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    Definitely good, so long as you are getting protein AND some sort of vegetable or fruit.

Ideally two or three servings. Add a cup of spinach or kale to fruit smoothies for an easy serving of vegetables. Doesn't affect the taste, promise.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    First of all, there's nothing wrong with not eating breakfast. If you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat.

Second of all, there's nothing wrong with protein shakes any time of day. They will help increase your protein intake, which is generally a positive thing. They will not necessarily "help" with weight loss but they won't hinder it either. Weight loss is all about calories.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Neither good nor bad. It doesn't matter. Get in what you need for the day, for the next day, and after that, and for the week. WAAAAAAAY more important.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you don't like breakfast you don't have to eat one, protein shake or no.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options

It certainly helps if you don't get enough protein, which is metabolically what you want.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've been having a protein shake for breakfast every day for months and it's working great for me. I like getting the big boost of protein in the morning after a walk and I'm not much of a breakfast food person. I use EAS protein and mix with water and a tablespoon of chia seeds.
  • stemet
    Options
    I read that protein for breakfast is a good thing. If you have carbs, your body produces insulin, and once it starts it drives hunger and sugar craving. Once this starts your body starts to store calories as fat straight away. Search on google for a chap called paliquin
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In regards to Intermittent Fasting, no, it's bad for me.
  • keithnphx
    keithnphx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein WITH some good carbs is a great meal anytime of the day. Need to add more green veggies? Simply add a handful of fresh spinach to your shake. Be sure to add some fruit, frozen works best and/or some raw oats (great for fiber and very filling). Make sure you are adding carbs with your protein powder to make it balanced. Almond milk works great in protein smoothies.

Get creative. mango orange ? banana strawberry ?
  • enipla
    enipla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    These are some good ideas.
  • wellz6
    wellz6 Posts: 81
    Options
    I've read good arguments both for and against eating breakfast. If you ask 10 different supposed experts on a particular health topic you are going to get 10 different opinions most likely. I've personally found it's all about trial and error, experimenting yourself and finding out what does or doesn't work for YOU. You can read all the books and science you want but I believe you will only truly find the answers you are looking for from personal experience.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with protein shakes, or with skipping breakfast.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I read that protein for breakfast is a good thing. If you have carbs, your body produces insulin, and once it starts it drives hunger and sugar craving. Once this starts your body starts to store calories as fat straight away. Search on google for a chap called paliquin

Protein is insulinogenic.

Also...http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Also...necrothread anyone!