I Need help finding a good tasting non dairy protein powder

Options
My 11 year old daughter is allergic to dairy, wheat, pork and bananas. I worry she's not getting enough protein. To make matters worse she's not a big nut or meat eater, actually she's not a big eater period. I'm looking for a protein powder she'll drink, or neutral enough she won't notice if I slip it in her food. I bake her breads and cookies, make her almond milk and cheese. She'll notice if it's grainy or tastes bad, trust me :/.

We have tried Peaceful Planet - African Vanilla Rice Protein. It was grainy and had a weird taste. I tried baking with it and she noticed. We also were recommended Nutiva hemp protein by the owner of our local health food store. Now after spending $20 i'm wondering why she'd ever recommend that for a child. I've tried to add it to brownies and even make a smoothie with it, no go. Needless to say gluten free and dairy food is just so expensive to do trial and error with.

Also I'd like to avoid soy because there is some doubt as to whether it's good for soon to be young ladies.

The thing is she's not a picky child. She loves fruit and vegetables,carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, hominy, salad.... She loves my home made spinach and kale chips. She tends to gravitate toward foods that are lower calorie and protein. She is a slim child who's small for her age so she needs calories and protein. Please help.

Replies

• kornaco
    kornaco Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Pea protein powder is also available. Personally, I have NO experience with it--so, I'm not able to comment on taste. But, it's glutten-free, dairy-free. Good luck! =]
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,948 Member
    Options
    I use Lifetime Life's Basics (pea protein)... I don't find it grainy and it is a lot cheaper than Vega. Plantfusion is also good and around the same price. I throw a scoop in the blender with water, banana, frozen berries, and sometimes spinach, and some ground flax or chia seed. I haven't tried the Phood products from Plantfusion but have been meaning to. Those might be worth a try.
  • Windzer
    Windzer Posts: 104
    Options
    High protein yogurt as a side for her fruits and veggies? You can also cook with it for smoothies etc.
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! :) I'll definitely try pea protein. Yogurt is dairy unfortunately and where we live there's no way to get dairy free unless I make it and add a dairy free protein powder unfortunately :/ lol.
  • upforthecount
    upforthecount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the taste, but the truenutrition.com has a variety of non-dairy protein powders.
    They allow you to customize the favor any way you desire. I've been ordering protein powder (made from milk) from them for years and have always been satisfied.
  • ykpasupulati
    ykpasupulati Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Amway also sells plant protein. We have used it for our daughter, it is quite good
  • rahmyers
    Options
    These are great suggestions too :).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Rawfusion gets a lot of positive buzz as a non-dairy protein powder.

You could also look into Isopure, if it's the lactose that she's intolerant of and not the whey, as Isopure is marketed as being lactose-free.
  • rahmyers
    Options
    Thank you! It's Cow milk allergy for her not lactose intolerance. Unfortunately it's her worst one too. Milk makes her throat itch and feel like it's tightening.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Carnivor is a beef based protein, I have never tried but a few guys were actually talking about at the gym this morning, they said for the most part the taste isnt bad, but it has a little bit of a meat smell to it even though its chocolate flavored.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's Cow milk allergy for her not lactose intolerance. Unfortunately it's her worst one too. Milk makes her throat itch and feel like it's tightening.
    Can she have milk from other sources? There's Goatein Goat's Milk Powder, for instance. It's available at vitamin shoppe.
  • Whereismycoffee
    Whereismycoffee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    homemade hummus? just a thought, might make a good dip for the veggies.
  • rahmyers
    Options
    I'm hesitant to try other milk sources yet. She's also epileptic and her food allergies tend to severely increase them when she's exposed to them. Her Dr. recommended avoiding other milk sources for a while until she's older.
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    I use the vega sports ones you can get them in the organic section at loblaws but it's expensive. I use them because I am lactose intolerant its vegan protein powder
  • I have MuscleMeds Carnivor Beef Protein. I have chocolate and it doesn't smell like meat at all. lol. Anyway, tastes good, even better with ice cubes and a chunk of frozen banana (more like a milkshake).
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love Nutiva Hempshake ... haven't tried others, because I wanted one organic and with very high quality ingredients. You might try it ... I buy it online at AbesMarket.com ... (berry, vanilla and chocolate ... i mix with banana and ice in a blender and you could use a little liquid of whatever type he would like ...
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    I'm also allergic to dairy (actually it's a casein sensitivity that makes me break out like poison ivy - it's not life threatening for me). But I also have asthma, which is scary. It is so noble what you are doing for your daughter. I hope dairy is treated as seriously as peanuts and shellfish some day.

I don't eat red meat. Soy was not satisfying. A lot of people like whey, but I'm sure you know that's dairy.The other option given me was Albumin (egg).

I bought everything soy or egg I could find on GNC or in the local health food store. Tossed some that made me gag. Gave some away that were "okay". Kept the two that I enjoy the most:

(1) My favorite is Optimum Nutrition 100% EGG Gold Standard. I prefer the Rich Chocolate and order it straight from ON (since I haven't been able to get it from GNC recently). GNC does carry the vanilla version, but I prefer Jay Robb's (below). Label says "intended for healthy adults over the age of 18" - is that a factor?

(2) GNC carries Jay Robb Egg White Protein (Vanilla). Never mind, just re-read the label and it's made in a factory that also processes dairy, etc... (This has been sitting in my cupboard since I like the chocolate better. I'll have to give it away.)

I make them with Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk.

I couldn't find an unflavored version that I liked.

If cost is a factor and you wanted to email me your address, I'd order some for your daughter.

Best wishes to you and your daughter! Hope you have a wonderful holiday.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    Unflavored Garden of Life Raw Protein powder is great. I had it mixed with water the other day and you cannot even really taste it. It's vegan and has 17g of protein per scoop.
  • jnoire
    jnoire Posts: 43
    Options
    Garden of Life Raw meal is good. I am allergic to gluten, dairy, soy, and raw fruit and it works well for me. Good luck!
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like SpiruTein. It is made from the Spirulina algea, which has a lot of vitamins as well as protein, and comes in many delicious flavors such as red velvet cake, cappuccino, chocolate peanut butter swirl, and apparently they have a "SpiruTein Junior" which is formulated for kids so that would be a plus!

Here is a link to some info about SpiruTein junior: http://www.naturesplus.com/spirutein/products/productDetail.php?id=45602