Will walking work just as well?

Options
I'm back from college for the holidays, so I don't have a gym to use the elliptical on. I can't run because my hip and knee hurt (I don't know why). Would brisk walking for 30-45 minutes be okay? I want to continue my weight loss and not slip up while at home.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Walking a mile burns roughly the same calories as running a mile. (It just takes longer to do.) So walking 30 minutes won't replace 30 minutes on the elliptical -- but it's better than nothing.

Edited to say that sounds snarky when I read it back. Sorry! I've lost all my weight from logging, walking, and yoga. So walking definitely works!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in/calories out. A walk will do just fine. Watching television will do just fine, too-- as long as you're in a calorie deficit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Walking a mile burns roughly the same calories as running a mile.

No, it doesn't, it burns half as many calories.
  • cliff948
    cliff948 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 55 pounds by just walking, worked my way up to 90k steps per week (about 38 miles per week at my height).

Cliff {:{)
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Walking a mile burns roughly the same calories as running a mile.

No, it doesn't, it burns half as many calories.

This article from Runner's World, "Running v. Walking: How Many Calories Will You Burn?" (http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn), concludes that the burn from running is about 50% higher than from walking: 158 calories vs 110 calories for the sample person cited. So walking burns about 2/3 as many calories -- not the same, and not half.

The Runner's World article cites these two papers as sources:
    "Energy expenditure comparison between walking and running in average fitness individuals" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22446673, J Strength Cond Res. 2012 Apr;26(4):1039-44)

"Energy expenditure of walking and running: comparison with prediction equations" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15570150, Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2128-34)

The "Energy expenditure comparison" article also says that "Walking and running are both acceptable activities that increase EE above rest and can be performed without the expense of a health club membership and meet adequate kilojoule expenditure according to American College of Sports Medicine guidelines."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...concludes that the burn from running is about 50% higher than from walking: 158 calories vs 110 calories for the sample person cited. So walking burns about 2/3 as many calories -- not the same, and not half.

That's gross calories.

It's 2x net ("above and beyond BMR/RMR") calories.

And net calories are what, in the end, matter.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    walking is how the world stays slim
  • benum21121
    Options
    Walking can do wonders.. It's the main exercise I used to go from 313 to 262 a few years ago. Something is better than nothing.. Enjoy, and good luck.
  • andysmom
    andysmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As a temporary option (or all the time!), walking is excellent. I've lost over 50 pounds using walking and hiking as my primary exercise. The most critical thing is to STAY ACTIVE, so you are on the right path by not telling yourself, "oh, no elliptical, and my hip hurts, so I'll just take time off". If you want the walking to be more effective, you might try some intervals - walk for a while at a normal exercise-walking (not strolling) pace, then walk as hard and as fast as you can for 60 seconds. Uphill is good. After a minute, slow back down to the previous pace for a few minutes. Repeat a few times. Doing this even once per week, with regular walks in between helped me overcome a plateau about 10 pounds ago.

Good luck! Enjoy your vacation and stay the course!
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight to date only walking. It is a little time consuming but definitely works and is a great way to start! Good luck!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The most critical thing is to STAY ACTIVE, so you are on the right path by not telling yourself, "oh, no elliptical, and my hip hurts, so I'll just take time off".
    This is what I was trying to say, but I'm not as eloquent as andysmom. (And I'm so, so sorry for having caused a derail.)
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good way for you to work out, even if it's not a hardcore sweaty workout. Try stretching too, some yoga and pilates if it doesn't hurt your hip/knee. <3
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I lift weights, and at times I hike enough to burn 3,000+ calories. But walking at at least moderate pace is how I create a deficit to lose weight: hiking with a pack and weight lifting both make me so much hungrier I tend to eat back all the calories burnt and then some. Walking however, does not cause me to over eat. So yes, it works just as well, if not better for many.
  • Warrior_Butterfly
    Options
    I lost over 2st brisk walking every day. I set myself goals either in distance or calorie burn and then challenged myself to keep beating them. I stuck to my calorie intake and didn't eat back burnt calories. Good luck hun
  • ChristinaK69
    Options
    I burn about 125 calories per mile if I run and about 80 per mile if I walk (this is with a HRM). walking is so much better than holding down the couch and doing nothing and it is also a great way to keep that healthy exercise habit going.