Found running through recovery from brain injury.

Options
Hi all!

I just wanted to make a first post here and say hello. After a brain injury nearly two years ago, I was unable to exercise for quite some time and ended up gaining a lot of weight. I'm thankful to say I'm well on the road to physical recovery even though my brain function is still a bit wonky at times.

6 months ago I couldn't walk a mile. Today I ran (more like jogged, I suppose, I'm slow) 10k for the first time in my life. I need to drop a minimum of 25 pounds, but I am getting stronger and faster by the week.

Glad to be here, and I hope to get to know some of you better.

MDF247

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hey, congrats!!! good job!!
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress! Keep it up.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you are doing well. I think you'll find this site a lot of help. Merry Christmas too!
  • suzmathew
    Options
    Amazing achievement!
    I myself am currently recovering from brain injury, and it is so frustrating not being able to exercise like I was before, which in turn has resulted in me gaining weight.
    I know I will get back to where I was (I'm determined, and also quite stubborn at times :-) ) but reading about your recovery and how well you have done is great.

Keep it up!
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congrats, both on your recovery and on your running. That's great news!
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    wow... go you! good luck!!
  • trialstyle
    trialstyle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Great work on your amazing progress. I found out I have a brain tumour at the beginning of this year and surgery looked liked a likely option. Thankfully my doc is adopting a watch and wait approach but I was really scared at the time and worried that I wouldn't be able to continue my fitness. I too run and was worried about running until I saw my consultant, he reassured me and said I could continue running. I still ran anyway but it was always a worry that I might collapse while alone. I also have fibromyalgia so suffer from muscle pain but I just push through. All these health scares have made me more determined to be physically active, I have 3 children with special needs and I need to the best version of me possible. Keep going you are amazing.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic and so glad to hear that your recovering from your injury. Head injuries are very difficult but sounds like you are making fabulous progress. Super congrats on the running and I wish you every success and good health!!!!
  • ladywizard43
    ladywizard43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! That's awesome to hear about your recovery, as well as your improvement in running! I've been with MFP for a couple months now, and find it really helps to keep me accountable by logging what I eat. I may not always make the best choices, but as long as I'm honest with myself, I know I'll be okay. The rest of my story is on my profile, and you're welcome to add me if you like. Good luck with your journey!
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Way to go!!
  • 86myHeadache
    86myHeadache Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! :drinker:
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just got back in for the evening and was surprised to see all the kind comments! Thank you so much!

It feels so weird to be running, that's for sure. I always hated it before, but I'm starting to love it.

As for my injury, I was about at my wits end with frustration because every time I would try to exercise, I would get pressure in my head and lightheadedness and dizziness. Well, a very sweet and smart physical therapist suggested that I get a pedometer and methodically increase my walking steps by about 500 per week. I felt so good after a while that I couldn't help but jog a little, and thought I was going to die. lol. Oops!

I used a Couch to 5k app on my phone and somehow managed to work up to doing the 5k. I didn't think I would make it, but I kept trying, repeating weeks where I felt I hadn't really progressed. Eventually, I made it!

So, now I keep plugging along, working on increasing miles and speed, even though I'm a slow turtle. I have a threshold that I won't go over with exertion (self-imposed) , so I have no plans to join races, but I am loving pushing my own boundaries. I never, ever dreamed I would run 10k in my life, even slow!

Next goal... 10 miles by the end of February.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • EssexShell
    EssexShell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I myself suffered from a head injury, and it's so frustrating to not be able to be like I was before. Words can be the most frustrating as I know deep down I know them but my brain gets all muddled.
    Well done on your journey and I'm pleased your making progress. Best wishes x
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @EssexShell - Yes, words and memory! (And a few other things) Drives me up the wall!
  • alikatlayne
    alikatlayne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration that there is a better life coming. I'm still recovering and don't know if I will ever be able to run or even walk for a length of time. Here's to hoping and congrats.
  • prestonpaigeme
    prestonpaigeme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that's awesome. I am a brain injury survivor also. I have a few other disabilities but my brain injury effects me in different ways not just physically but with my thought process and impulsivity. I'd love to be friends and help each other stay motivated