California King Sized Bed?

Options
the_dude00
the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
If you have one, how would you compare it to a regular King Sized Bed? I need a larger bed, and debating which to buy

Replies

• LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a home goods store. CA King is longer, but not as wide as a regular king, and much harder (and more expensive) to find sheets for.
  • kfavulous
    kfavulous Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    if you need length, the Cali King is longer than a King by about 4"
    If you need width, go with the King

A standard king size bed is 76" wide and 80" long; while a California King size bed is 72" wide and 84" long.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    A California King is longer, but a reg king is wider.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    A California King is longer, but a reg king is wider.

^What Candi said.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    If you have one, how would you compare it to a regular King Sized Bed? I need a larger bed, and debating which to buy

its longer by 4 inches and ideal for people over 6'2 but king is width beats it by a 4 inches...

I love my cali king.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The California King is longer for taller people but less width and the Regular King is Wider but alittle shorter.... Depends on your needs...... I am 6 ft. 1 in. so the Regular king is fine for my height and we prefer the extra width do to the fact we have 3 small dogs that seem to take up the entire bed ... lol
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a California King Bed. But it's a waterbed, so I don't think I'll be much help. We LOVE our waterbed. We actually could use one about a foot longer. My husband's feet hang off the end of this one. Someone needs to invent a new size for beds--maybe an Emperor or Monarch sized length.
  • the_dude00
    Options
    The California King is longer for taller people but less width and the Regular King is Wider but alittle shorter.... Depends on your needs...... I am 6 ft. 1 in. so the Regular king is fine for my height and we prefer the extra width do to the fact we have 3 small dogs that seem to take up the entire bed ... lol

Haha... about the little dogs. I have a Big Golden Retriever who sleeps on the bed too. My Queen size bed gets cramped with him on there.

I guess the more appropriate question, would have been what's the best bed for a couple height 6'0" and under and a 80 pound Retriever
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Probably the standard King, since it's wider.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    Definitely a standard King.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    What no one has mentioned is that the California king is a full foot wider than your current queen size. I like the additional length to my CalKing. The part that might make your linen shopping expensive will be the depth of your mattress that you choose. We have a Tempurpedic and it's 16" deep which makes linens challenging and more expensive but totally worth it. Not a single regret.
  • the_dude00
    Options
    The cost isn't really a concern of mine. I am probably leaning toward the King sized but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I hadn't thought of. Although the extra length does seem appealing to me. Shout if there was a larger bed made I'd get that.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
  • the_dude00
    Options
    ^Dude, that bed is insane. I have to get one.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    California King size bed + sleep number = great sex = great sleep. True storo. :drinker:
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The other comments are correct, it IS longer than a regular king size bed. To find sheets for one can become a little challenge. I bought fleece sheets for my queen size at Costco and I noticed that their king sized ones are just slightly higher in cost. They didn't stock the Cal King sets in our local store and they're a lot more expensive online.
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Options
    Sleep number has everything you need and worth every cent. Get the biggest one you can afford. You won't be disappointed.
  • the_dude00
    Options
    Sleep number has everything you need and worth every cent. Get the biggest one you can afford. You won't be disappointed.

I'm hearing nothing but good things about that, man. Definitely will check it out.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The other comments are correct, it IS longer than a regular king size bed. To find sheets for one can become a little challenge. I bought fleece sheets for my queen size at Costco and I noticed that their king sized ones are just slightly higher in cost. They didn't stock the Cal King sets in our local store and they're a lot more expensive online.
    In California, finding regular king sized fitted sheets is a challenge. All of the stores only stock California King sizes. I have to buy sheets online.

There seem to be quite a few sleep number fans, but I HATED it. I had one in a hotel and it was either too soft or felt "ballooned" up when I tried to go firmer.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    We have one, it's excellent! My man is tall (6'4") and has enough room to stretch out. Ours is also a sleep number bed (I will second the previous poster's recommendation lol) and we just order sheet sets from them so they're always the right size.