5'2- 5'3

Options
Hey all!

I used to be 40 lbs heavier than I am now. It was a very slow process, which took about 4 years to do, but I have kept it off for 6 years. I am still roughly 10-15 lbs overweight according to the BMI scale. ( I know that BMI is not an accurate way to judge health, but I have a lot of genetic disorders in my family - diabetes, heart, high blood pressure, etc -- and I feel that having a healthy BMI couldn't hurt).

I struggle with finding the motivation to exercise!!!!

How do you all pick yourself up after a long day of work to go exercise? I know that these last 10-15 will be dependent on adding some sort of activity to my routine. I'm going to be 26 soon, and I'd like for this next year to be my healthiest :)

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    40 pounds? That's great!

Some people get motivated by joining a gym, signing up for classes, or exercising w/ friends. I bought an activity tracker (like Jawbone UP or Fitbit) which really inspires me to be more active throughout the day.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Way to go loosing the 40lbs! I have lost 35lbs since March and it was a lot easier in the summer to exercise due to all the fun activities outside but in the winter I am finding it harder to motivate myself to do anything.
    I have a very active job which keeps me running around a solid 4 hours a day so at least that keeps me moving. I am really trying to lose my last 7-10lbs and my motivation is my wedding dress. I will be purchaing that around the end of January and want to look my best so I have that picture with me to remind me to go hard and get to where I want to be.
    I have found these last few pounds have been the hardest but as long as you keep at it you will obtain your goal. Best of luck to ya!
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    haha thanks... yeah it was a definitely a slow but steady loss of 40 lbs. I've seen the jawbone!!! do you like it?? my sister was thinking about getting one... I have a hard time enough tracking my food on my phone... ( i think i secretly don't want to know). Although, even without tracking i'm roughly within my daily calorie intake goal. thats why i really think i need to bump up the exercise.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    congrats on your upcoming wedding! yes, summer is definitely easier to lose than in the winter time. I'm in toronto... it's too cold outside/ gets dark at 4 pm. I work an office job so it's a bit hard. I have a pool in my building, but getting home and then exercising hasnt really been the case. i'm trying to go min 3 times a week... struggles!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you but I resolved the same issue by going to work out at 5:30am. I know it sounds impossible but once you get into the habit, your body just wakes up early and you're ready to go.

After a while I switched back to evening workouts and that was good too. I like to exercise so time is generally not a factor.

Find something you enjoy doing and you will make time for it pretty easily.

Edited for typo.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with motivation also. I want to exercise, but can't seem to "just do it"

I am going to exercise within the next hour.

Exercise Choices
    - Body electric (seems most do-able) this morn.
    - p90x
    - 20 min workout
    - The Firm
    - Kickboxing

Have a great Christmas. I hope you are motivated to workout.
  • jessigoct17
    jessigoct17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i'm close to 5'3 and the best thing is eating like 5 small healthy meals a day and drinking a lot water... and i take fiber pills... this is the way ive always lost weight except this time im trying to lose 10 pounds and its been really frustrating cuz i cant stick to my diet -___- im not gaining weight but im not losing it either.... suggestions?
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    edit mishap.. lol
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    i'm close to 5'3 and the best thing is eating like 5 small healthy meals a day and drinking a lot water... and i take fiber pills... this is the way ive always lost weight except this time im trying to lose 10 pounds and its been really frustrating cuz i cant stick to my diet -___- im not gaining weight but im not losing it either.... suggestions?

From what i can tell you need to try and get a steady diet going in order to fix the problem. Also try adding some exercise. The last 10 is the toughest to lose so good luck.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think the best way is to have a workout partner or group that works out together at least once a week. I have sort of lost my motivation since our group split apart somewhat. I still hit the gym, I just find it hard to push myself enough. Definitely my issue to deal with, but I think it can help.
  • jessigoct17
    jessigoct17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thank you! but i am working out every other day lifting weights and i do a little bit of cardio too
    its only been 2 weeks but i just hate not seeing results lol
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I've seen the jawbone!!! do you like it?? my sister was thinking about getting one.
    I wasn't losing much weight until I got my UP. It inspired me to move more, and it showed me my TDEE. Turns out I'm lightly active, even though I have a desk job. (Fitbit does the same thing, and makes trackers you can clip to your bra.)
    I have a hard time enough tracking my food on my phone... (i think i secretly don't want to know).
    Oh, it took me months to log accurately & honestly. My diary was private, so I was only lying to myself, but it was just really hard for me to do. I understand completely.

Edited to add that I'm 5'1 or 2".
  • ils_1231
    Options
    I think this is a great idea
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm not working (outside of the house right now). I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. I go to the gym after I drop my son off at school, BUT before I go home. Before I had kids, I didn't belong to the gym. When I got home from work, I used to immediately get on the treadmill...no screwing around or I would get distracted and less motivated. My husband goes to the gym before work (at the crack of dawn).

My plan for when I go back to work is to hit the treadmill in the basement for 15-20 mins just to get into a good routine...and then swing by the gym BEFORE I get home from work. No screwing around...straight from work to the gym. Hopefully, this plan works.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    I have bad knees so I usually swim. I think that is a good idea though... Like go home and straight to the pool and not to the couch. My day goes from 8:30- 530 ( but I wake up at 630) in order to get to work on time. I think I need to just bite the bullet and swim once I get home.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I prefer the fitbit over the jawbone. It's smaller, the charge lasts longer and it tracks your sleeping too.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Jawbone UP tracks your sleep. I have it and a Fitbit Flex (I'm a data nerd). The only difference between the two is appearance & the apps. Jawbone has a major social component, so you can really interact w/ your teammates & cheer each other on. Jawbone offers "insights" and issues challenges to make you move more or go to bed earlier.

If I could choose only one, it'd be the UP.

Edited to add that Fitbit makes other trackers you can clip to your bra. Some people hate wearing a band.