Shocking High Calories in small bags of nuts

Options

Replies

• colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Things like these existing just make me feel angry and how people can comsume them all day and not gain a single ounce.

There are no such people.

I know someone that eats an entire package of oreos a day and doesn't gain a pound. Her metabolism must be off the wall high because she also eats normal meals.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Things like these existing just make me feel angry and how people can comsume them all day and not gain a single ounce.

There are no such people.

I know someone that eats an entire package of oreos a day and doesn't gain a pound. Her metabolism must be off the wall high because she also eats normal meals.

She's 5'9" and weighs like 110 lbs. Can not gain weight no matter what she does, even after having two kids. Her sister is the same height, and weighs less. I'd say it's unfair, but frankly, I wouldn't want to be that skinny.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I was about to eat 150g plain salted peanuts (It's only just over a handful), but thought Ill just log it on MFP before I eat them so I don't forget, to my shock nearly 950 calories if I consume that little bag.

So glad I logged before I ate, I discarded the peanuts and deleted my log entity cause I decided not to eat them.

My younger brother is this way! He could eat that who bag of nuts plus more and not gain an ounce. 5 ft. 8 and 145 pounds his entire adult life. We were just talking about it. I teased him and said every time he blinks I see his metabolism revving up. He got a kick out of that one.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a serving size of nuts is supposed to be about 20-30 grams but you can easily eat three times that if you don't keep track. It's dense enough in calories to make portion control hard.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I was about to eat 150g plain salted peanuts (It's only just over a handful), but thought Ill just log it on MFP before I eat them so I don't forget, to my shock nearly 950 calories if I consume that little bag.

So glad I logged before I ate, I discarded the peanuts and deleted my log entity cause I decided not to eat them.

A serving size of nuts is one ounce or 27-28g. which is usually (depending on kind of nuts) is around 100 to 200 calories. You said it was 150 grams. that was over 5 servings, more than just a hand full
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I wish they had nuts listed by number, not volume or weight. I eat cashews and pistachios every day - like 5 at a time. I have done it often enough that I know what to log. But who eats 1/4 cup of pistachios? That's a LOT of nuts!

most if not all packages of nuts give the serving size in grams and also a number amount per serving. Read the food label
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you have a small bag of nuts, i bet you have trouble getting dates? Am i right? I mean the food, dates..cause you cant even finish the small bag of nuts..

2mHHgkm.gif

which nuts?

deez nuts?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    if you have a small bag of nuts, i bet you have trouble getting dates? Am i right? I mean the food, dates..cause you cant even finish the small bag of nuts..

2mHHgkm.gif

reverse-1319738930_homer_simpson_hides_in_hedge.gif

135973492454393635.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

2mHHgkm.gif

which nuts?

deez nuts?
    homer_1741052c.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Congratulations! You just learned one more piece of information that will help you out when you are maintaining your weight. :happy:
    e22c3f31-099e-456f-9506-de0f692cbef9-631x473.jpg
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I eat peanuts or pecans or pistachios almost every day, but as was said, you have to weigh them. I only eat a small amount, which may be hard for you. They taste sooo good you want more, but that is what self-control is about. I know I can always have more tomorrow! It is worth to me to fit them into my calories. But I can say I wouldn't have eaten 950 calories of them either!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

2mHHgkm.gif

reverse-1319738930_homer_simpson_hides_in_hedge.gif

135973492454393635.jpg

Td8R6fG.gif

homer-simpson-donut-gif-i7.jpg
  • ElectricDragon
    ElectricDragon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weight nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans) regularly. One serving (28g/1oz) is about 200 calories (slightly more or less depending on the type of nut). It's very calorie dense, yes. It is not something you want to binge or mindlessly eat without weighing. 150 grams of peanuts is about 5 servings (about 1000 calories), so yeah quiet a lot. How many servings did it say on the bag? Usually that info should be there. I recommend getting a digital kitchen food scale to weigh foods like this if you don't have one, it's one of the best investments I made on my own journey.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I weight nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans) regularly. One serving (28g/1oz) is about 200 calories (slightly more or less depending on the type of nut). It's very calorie dense, yes. It is not something you want to binge or mindlessly eat without weighing. 150 grams of peanuts is about 5 servings (about 1000 calories), so yeah quiet a lot. How many servings did it say on the bag? Usually that info should be there. I recommend getting a digital kitchen food scale to weigh foods like this if you don't have one, it's one of the best investments I made on my own journey.

To avoid all this confusion with weighing my nuts or eyeballing a "handful" serving size, I find an MFP database entry that lists by nut. Sometimes it will say like 14 nuts and then you can pull down and choose 1 nut and then tailor the serving size of that one nut to the exact amount you actually ate. I keep saying I'm gonna put two just for funz but never fails once I eat those two nuts, I just always have to eat more.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

You may as well have a large (175g) bag of Doritos for that. Healthy and weight loss are not the same, after all a healthy person is maintaining not losing weight. Fruit (not dried or sugared, fresh only) are good in all circumstance though.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    yeah man nuts and seeds are high in cals
    i eat 28g of almonds a day and that comes up to 185 cals, now imagine
    150g of almonds = 990 cals
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

To avoid all this confusion with weighing my nuts or eyeballing a "handful" serving size, I find an MFP database entry that lists by nut. Sometimes it will say like 14 nuts and then you can pull down and choose 1 nut and then tailor the serving size of that one nut to the exact amount you actually ate. I keep saying I'm gonna put two just for funz but never fails once I eat those two nuts, I just always have to eat more.

VinceWithSlapChop_Finger.gif

shall i go on?