Too restrictive?

Options

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

bro, why you hating on ice cream…?

There is nothing wrong with having a serving of ice cream a day as long as you fit it in and eat in a deficit….

geez...

Of course there is nothing wrong with ice cream.. but who can stop with just one..
    Not only that but she has medical issue.
    Ice cream should be used as a reward once a week and not a staple in one's diet.
    She, ( like most of us) is over weight prob. due to lack of self control.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Let's look at the menu:

Breakfast: 2 slices honey wheat toast, banana, 1 Tbsp. Jelly or jam, 1 cup white seedless grapes

CRAP! You don't need all that sugar. 2 fruits and jelly and starch! How about some eggs, or some oats? Even a bowl of Reese's puffs beats this.

Snack 1: 1 cup vanilla ice cream

ICE CREAM is full of crap! Get rid of it! 1cup is a double serving... NO sensible diet book will recommend this for a 'snack'.

Lunch: 300 calories: veggie burger with one slice cheese, pickle, lettuce, 2 slices tomato, ketchup, mustard, small tossed salad with low calorie salad dressing

Get rid of the sugary ketchup. What is the "low calorie" dressing? It is "lite ranch"? Use a vinaigrette.

Snack 2: fiber one bar, 1/2 cup strawberries

Where are you getting your diet advice? Kellogg's? Fiber one bars are small for a reason... they are full of crap and fake fiber!

Dinner: Kale salad: Kale, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and pepperoni with low calorie dressing

Pepperoni? WTH? ever hear of chicken on a salad?

Snack 3: medium banana

again with the fruit... you must love sugar, sugar!

The best diet? Lean meat (protein), vegetables, whole grains, fruits.

I love when the people who need to be ignored make it obvious.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with having a serving of ice cream a day as long as you fit it in and eat in a deficit….

geez...

Of course there is nothing wrong with ice cream.. but who can stop with just one..
    Ice cream should be used as a reward once a week and not a staple in one's diet.

There are plenty of people here who have ice cream or cookies DAILY.
    Food should NOT be used as a reward.
  • charlottagiles
    charlottagiles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I see almost NOTHING BUT CRAP. Read some diet books that delve into food nutrition and learn to read ingredient labels.

Bananas, tomatoes, lettuce, veggie burger??? Crap?? Sharpen your eyes before leaving comments???

Most store bought veggie burgers are loaded with GMOs

When being used to overeating and binging, it is perfectly fine to eat a sweet banana, instead of refined sugar/cake/ more ice cream....bananas are great for teaching oneself better habits, Tom or not, a veggie burger without bread is a good choice to start off....you are criticising on a too high level here, unnecessary.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

geez...

There are plenty of people here who have ice cream or cookies DAILY.
    Food should NOT be used as a reward.
    Yeah, I don't roll over for a cookie, sorry.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Let's look at the menu:

Breakfast: 2 slices honey wheat toast, banana, 1 Tbsp. Jelly or jam, 1 cup white seedless grapes

CRAP! You don't need all that sugar. 2 fruits and jelly and starch! How about some eggs, or some oats? Even a bowl of Reese's puffs beats this.

Snack 1: 1 cup vanilla ice cream

ICE CREAM is full of crap! Get rid of it! 1cup is a double serving... NO sensible diet book will recommend this for a 'snack'.

Lunch: 300 calories: veggie burger with one slice cheese, pickle, lettuce, 2 slices tomato, ketchup, mustard, small tossed salad with low calorie salad dressing

Get rid of the sugary ketchup. What is the "low calorie" dressing? It is "lite ranch"? Use a vinaigrette.

Snack 2: fiber one bar, 1/2 cup strawberries

Where are you getting your diet advice? Kellogg's? Fiber one bars are small for a reason... they are full of crap and fake fiber!

Dinner: Kale salad: Kale, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and pepperoni with low calorie dressing

Pepperoni? WTH? ever hear of chicken on a salad?

Snack 3: medium banana

again with the fruit... you must love sugar, sugar!

The best diet? Lean meat (protein), vegetables, whole grains, fruits.
    I do not understand what is wrong with natural surgar, from fruits.
    I have never seen a story that somebody overate with apple and gained weight?
    Lets be honest, an apple/Bananas is much better then a snickers bar or a power bar for a snack.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    aim for about 1 pound a week loss.

As a 5ft2 woman at 300 pounds, 2 a week is a healthy goal. (Though do expect that to slow down as the weight comes off. I started at 300, it started slowing down around when I got to around 235)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

geez...

how does using food as a reward teach someone good habits?

Also, restricting certain foods because they are "bad" is never a good thing …

80% healthy and 20% whatever you want is more sustainable in the long term.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    if you want to learn to eat smaller portions you could spread your meals out into six smaller ones over the day…

i would not restrict any foods, as food restriction tends to lead to people to binge on said foods later…

My diary is public and you can check it out for ideas…

1400 sounds low for someone of your size..assuming you could probably eat 2000 a day and still lose

the most sustainable plan would be to figure out a 500 calories deficit and aim for about 1 pound a week loss. Try to have your diet be about 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want - ice cream, pizza, hamburger, cookies, etc.

I would also say familiarize yourself with compound lifts and proper form, and then build a program around them that has you hitting legs/arms/back/shoulders/chest three times a week with cardio two to three times a week. Compound lifts = squats, deadlfits, overhead press, pull ups/chin ups, rows, bench press….

Good luck to you ...

I disagree with the bolded statement. The OP is most likely severely obese (around 60% bf presuming 120lbs of LBM at 5ft2) and the benefits of losing the weight quickly to start with will far outstrip the negatives. A 1lb per week loss is more suited to people who have less to lose.

I will reiterate, OP, that you should see your doctor, especially if you have diabetes as they will be able to help you create a diet plan.
  • otterish
    otterish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The advice here seems fairly consistent (other than cranky Phildog47) so I hope it helps.
    I'm with the crowd here. Increase protein and beneficial fats, and consider starting with 2000 cals/day. Your loss won't be as quick, but I think it would help ease you into the habit of planning and logging while letting you feel like you can do this forever. After some success, you can lower your daily intake and it won't feel so drastic or restrictive.
  • Npettersen
    Options
    Good Morning, thought I would put my 2 cents in. To me personally, this seems a little too restrictive. I also deal with anxiety buts it's more of a mild on again off again thing. Being extremely rigid in my food plan makes it worse, at least for me.

I count calories for 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks. I DO NOT count FRESH fruits and vegetables, yes I know this doesn't work for most but this way I can grab good food that's good for me with little to no anxiety, after all I just want to be trim and healthy, not a bodybuilder (although their dedication is amazing).

To get more protein In the morning I eat a locally made zero fat Greek maple yogurt, it has 110 calories, 23 grams of protein, sweetened by maple syrup and it tastes freaking awesome!!! I also really like rice bowls for meals. At the beginning of the week I will cook up some brown rice (I season it) without salt, chicken breast which I simmer in water until cooked through, cool off & shred. Then I will cook up some broccoli, onion, pepper, really whatever I'm feeling, steaming is best. For an easy dinner I will throw a portion of rice, chicken & whatever veggies and VOILA! Dinner is served, If I am still hungry I will heat up a little more chicken & drizzle with buffalo sauce!

I eat frozen yogurt, tastes damn close to ice cream & since it's lower in calories I can eat more of it!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need some motivation!!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

As a 5ft2 woman at 300 pounds, 2 a week is a healthy goal. (Though do expect that to slow down as the weight comes off. I started at 300, it started slowing down around when I got to around 235)

While 2 lbs/week is a healthy goal at 300 lbs, starting with 1lb/week as a goal will allow for a more gradual transition to a new menu that can be adhered to. It will take a long time to lose over 150 lbs, and so whatever OP does MUST be sustainable. Better to go slower and actually succeed than go fast and quit in 3 months.

Having said that, 1400 can be enough nutrition, but not if 1C ice cream consumed every day. Also, 1T jam is nearly impossible to spread out over 2pc toast. I'm all for no off-limits foods - we all make compromises - but the OP's menu doesn't have any high quality protein.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, thought I would put my 2 cents in. To me personally, this seems a little too restrictive. I also deal with anxiety buts it's more of a mild on again off again thing. Being extremely rigid in my food plan makes it worse, at least for me.

I count calories for 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks. I DO NOT count FRESH fruits and vegetables, yes I know this doesn't work for most but this way I can grab good food that's good for me with little to no anxiety, after all I just want to be trim and healthy, not a bodybuilder (although their dedication is amazing).

To get more protein In the morning I eat a locally made zero fat Greek maple yogurt, it has 110 calories, 23 grams of protein, sweetened by maple syrup and it tastes freaking awesome!!! I also really like rice bowls for meals. At the beginning of the week I will cook up some brown rice (I season it) without salt, chicken breast which I simmer in water until cooked through, cool off & shred. Then I will cook up some broccoli, onion, pepper, really whatever I'm feeling, steaming is best. For an easy dinner I will throw a portion of rice, chicken & whatever veggies and VOILA! Dinner is served, If I am still hungry I will heat up a little more chicken & drizzle with buffalo sauce!

I eat frozen yogurt, tastes damn close to ice cream & since it's lower in calories I can eat more of it!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need some motivation!!!

Some good suggestions. I always log my fruits and vegetables. One apple can range from 72 to 130 calories, for example, and I eat several a day. An avocado has good fat but hundreds of calories. I know Weight Watchers doesn't count them to encourage people to eat a better diet, but I try to log everything to get a complete picture.

I agree with the suggestion above to run your diet by a health professional since you have diabetes.

It helped me to think of this as a new lifestyle, not a diet. Look at foods you enjoy and see if you can include them in your day, taking your diabetes into account. Otherwise, you aren't likely to stick with this long term.

I think of calories like money and shopping. I have so many calories for the day and look for food I like that is a good calorie deal and is also filling. The filling part is really important. Sugar and processed food gives me cravings, so I try to stay away from it (or only eat it in small amounts).

Good luck! You can do this.
  • JocyChan
    JocyChan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Give it a try for a week or two to see if it works for you. Everyone has their own methods, but the biggest thing is to reduce calories and increase physical activity. :)
  • getfit4kidd
    getfit4kidd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It looks like you eat a mostly vegetarian diet....I would take out the sugar and substitute beans/tofu/seitan...that sort of thing to get your protein. Also, add in some fruit. Aside from large quantities of protein you can fill up with lots of veggies at meal times and still meet your protein requirements.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It looks like you eat a mostly vegetarian diet....I would take out the sugar and substitute beans/tofu/seitan...that sort of thing to get your protein. Also, add in some fruit. Aside from large quantities of protein you can fill up with lots of veggies at meal times and still meet your protein requirements.

She already eats fruit as a snack
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My only concern is you might self yourself up for failure by trying to be too perfect. What is the plan for the days you mess up and arent perfect with your diet? What happens if they have doughnuts or whatever at work and you give in and have one? Will you be OK?

I also think, speaking as a night time binge eater, that you might be feeling very hungry at night with only vegetables. I'd make sure to put some fat and protein into that dinner just to prevent night time hunger pangs.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP please dont let the people saying your diet is CRAP (extremely rude) sway you or deter you. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD OR BAD FOOD OR HEALTHY OR JUNK FOOD!!

Youre making a plan good for you! The best thing you can do is look at food as nourishment. You need three sources of energy from your diet carbohydrates, fat, and protein a mix of these 3 is always the best. Food is healthful it nourishes us. It has no intrinsic value except to supply us with energy and chemicals to build and repair our body. Like many have said look at adding a little more fat and protein in your diet, portion control, and be patient with the process it's learning, evolving, and changing old mind sets.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

sure, if OP wants to have loose skin and lose LBM….then two pounds a week is fine..

I was just recommending a program that - IMHO - will allow OP to lose weight, maintain LBM, and lose body fat%….

but there is nothing wrong with two pounds a week either.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP please dont let the people saying your diet is CRAP (extremely rude) sway you or deter you. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD OR BAD FOOD OR HEALTHY OR JUNK FOOD!!

There's no such thing as junk food? You've just made my kids' day! Yay, a snicker bar for bf, lunch and dinner, why not?