Easy, Cheap, GOOD take-to-work lunches??

Options

Replies

• Basic turkey sandwich + baby carrots + a couple clementines.

2 slices bread (70cal), 1 slice sharp cheddar (35cal), 4oz turkey (100cal), half a pepper sliced up...

Tasty, low-calorie, filling!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    It takes a little prep the night or morning before work, but I am LOVING this: veggie burger (I use Morningstar) on a sandwich thin with Laughing Cow and hot sauce, big spinach salad with Greek yogurt dressing. It tastes better hot but you could microwave it easily enough -- and it's still yummy cold if that's not an option. It's really, really good and super filling; plus, it feels like eating a real meal.
  • Nialjo
    Nialjo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you have a microwave at work, you could take leftovers. If I don't have leftovers I usually take grapes and cheese for breakfast, 2 cooked eggs for lunch and a protein shake for my afternoon snack to work.
    How do you keep your eggs fresh?

I cook them in the morning, they don't go bad quickly
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I like a lot of the options listed above, especially the ones that are crockpot... However, I totally understand what you mean about getting tired of the frozen meals. Here are some ideas that I've used.

-Premier Protein Chocolate Shakes (30 grams of protein, 1 gram sugar, 160 calories)
    -Salads (there are frozen chicken mix ins from healthy choice)
    -Soup (Progresso has some yummy chicken ones)
    -Tuna salad (with crackers or on sandwich thins)
    -Chili, stews

--Drive Through--
    -Any salad with grilled chicken (Wendy's even carries half sizes)
    -Starbucks Protein Box
    -Chili
    -Oatmeal (Starbucks and McDonalds)
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    When I'm in a hurry and/or lazy, I take a bag of Birdseye Steamfresh Rotini & Vegetables or some other microwavable frozen vegetable & carb medley (but not a frozen meal). One bag is ~450 calories and is very easy to heat up and eat.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is a baked potato cut into chunks with veggies (I prefer steamed broccoli or cauliflower), salsa and low fat cheese. I reheat in the microwave long enough to melt the cheese - yum!
  • sjlamb77
    Options
    Here's what I do. I have classes where I have to take lunch with no microwave, and I also work 72 hour shifts on an ambulance where I try to take as much food as possible (with a microwave available).

-Obviously a sandwich, with homemade whole wheat bread, using lots of turkey and veggies, with mayo and Italian dressing as condiments (or vinegar).

-Can of tuna (or chicken), mustard, italian dressing, dill relish, and beans or rice (your choice), mixed together, on a bed of spinach or greens of your choice

-Any kind of bean soup. Just buy dry beans (super cheap), and make a buttload. Basically it will boil down to beans, chicken broth, some kind of tomato product, and whatever vegetables you like. Load up on the bean part to satisfy your hunger. Healthy and super cheap. Lots of chicken broth will also help your hunger without adding any calories.

I think the most helpful thing I've done is split my lunch into halves, one for 12:00, and one for 3:00 or so. I find that even though I could easily eat the whole thing at lunch time, I'm satisfied for a while with just half of it. If you save the other half for 2-3:00, it'll hold you over another two hours or so. Also provides more efficient digestion/blood sugar levels/calorie intake.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I pack every single day and it's always the same things, but keeps me on track. We don't have a microwave, so it's pretty basic. Also, I only spend about $25-$35/week on groceries for my end of the food, so it's pretty inexpensive.
    Snack - protein drink mixed in water and light string cheese
    Lunch - lettuce, tomato and 2% cheese slice on low cal bread or flatbread with spicy mustard, 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a container of sliced veggies
    Snack - piece of fruit, protein bar, 1/2 cup 0% greek yogurt

To help save, I buy my yogurt and cottage cheese in bulk sizes and do my own portioning...got great reusable containers at the "everything's a dollar" store :)

Occasionally when I need to change it up, I add a second piece of fruit, hardboiled eggs, sugar free snack packs when they're on sale for $1/4. It all depends on what macros I'm currently at, but it rarely varies too much. If you have an Aldi's, it saves TONS of $ on fruits and veggies. Good luck!
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of already cooked hard boiled eggs in the egg section of the market. They come 6 or10 in a bag and are great for a quick pack for work.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I made this killer Chicken & Lentil Stew in the crock pot last week. It made 10-12 servings.

2-3 of the beastly chicken breasts the grocery store sells, probably about 20-24 ounces
    2 containers of chicken broth (the boxes)
    1 bag dry lentils
    2 cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
    1 medium yellow onion (sauté in olive oil)
    1 bag baby spinach, chopped
    salt (if needed, I use low sodium broth and add a little salt)
    pepper

Saute onions and place in crock pot with all of the ingredients except the spinach. Let it cook all day (8+ hours). Add the spinach just before serving, allow to wilt then serve. Top with additional ground pepper and/or shredded parmesan.

It was under 300 calories for a decent amount of stew.
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I try to do leftovers but when I cant, I make a sandwich with low calorie wheat bread. I typically buy the sara lee breads. Add turkey, lettuce and carry a yogurt too or a piece of fruit.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Chicken/Pork/Fish
    1/2 Sweet Potato or Lentils
    Lots and Lots of Veggies
    Couple tablespoons of bbq sauce/buffalo sauce/marinade/dressing
    *Top with cheese if you have enough calories :)

Possibilites are endless I make 4 at a time and eat all week. Portions are bigger than those frozen meals.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I normally eat pretty much the same thing. I buy my food for a whole week so that it saves me from buying crap.
    Normally buy a bag of salad or pea shoots, baby tomatoes, cooked beetroot, 2 pitta breads, carrot.
    Fillings for the pittas are normally egg or tuna mayo, cheese and pickle, chicken and avocado.
    For snacks I take a tub of mixed nuts and sultanas, and whatever fruit is in season.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just make extra at dinners and put all left overs in single serving containers.

This is what I've always done. If you're making a healthy supper, just make enough extra to have a healthy lunch the next day. Easier to track because you know what's in it and you've already logged it the night before!
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just make over the amount that I would eat at dinner and then take it for lunch. Crock pots are great for that. There are those great compartment Tupperware also that sometimes I just put cheese, a hard boiled egg, fruit, veggies, and nuts in the night before. The last thing that I do (since I am a teacher) is I put things in my desk drawer that don't need refrigerated or microwaved (such as nuts) that I can snack on throughout the day if I get hungry. :)
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I keep Morningstar products in the freezer and eat them on a warm Healthy Life English muffin. Some days I have a greek yogurt, cottage cheese, piece of fruit, or Fiber One 90 calorie bar with it. Makes me feel like I got a hot sandwich and some dessert!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My fall back is homemade soup and crackers.
  • ohitsmunstar
    Options
    When I'm in a hurry and/or lazy, I take a bag of Birdseye Steamfresh Rotini & Vegetables or some other microwavable frozen vegetable & carb medley (but not a frozen meal). One bag is ~450 calories and is very easy to heat up and eat.

I do the same! To add a little more flavor (plus I like hot meals) I pour gravy on top. Simple, quick, and budget friendly.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I get the Healthy Choice steam meals. Usually on sale at at least one of the big chains 4/$10. Sometime 5/$10. This week, they are 6/$10. I'm getting a deep freezer with tax refund partly for sales like this ;-) There are tons of variety and calories vary from 220-400. I love them. IMHO they are decent on sodium too. Every meal I have had takes 5 minutes or less to heat.
  • Depictureboy
    Depictureboy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I had my embroidery business. I had a sign in the shape of a pyramid. On the points it said Fast, Good, Cheap. Underneath it said Pick any two.

Its kind of the same thing. Like some of the others have said, the best thing to do is make too much for dinner and take leftovers...