Strength Training @ Home

Options
2»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Step ups are just where you step up and down.. right? I'm not sure if it's what I'm thinking of
    Yes...stepping up onto a bench or platform. And as you go on you add in weights, dummbells or a barbell (but if you do this do it on a lower step as it throws of your center of gravity a tad). They work great...since I started bringing them in, climbing hills has become a lot easier.
    I read more reps/less weight builds strength and less reps/more weight builds more muscle.....? Is that wrong?

Yes...you are a female honey. In order for us to build the muscle you are thinking it takes year and years of bulking and cutting. And even them most women need supplement help because we lack certain male organs that help them build muscle the way they do. Less weight/more reps is basically another form of muscle cardio....you build endurance that way. The way to build true strength is bringing more weight. Heavy lifting doesn't necissarily mean lifting 200+ lbs, it is just progressively lifting heavier.

Ohhh okay! How many sets/reps should I try to do for squats to build strength? I'll have to try the step ups! How long/often do you usually do them?

I have been doing 3 sets of 8 reps...but I am following the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. And that is where I learned how to do step-ups.

You can do Stronglifts 5X5, that is another popular program, which I dont' know much about as I havent' done that one. But some runners I have seen on here do that.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Step ups are just where you step up and down.. right? I'm not sure if it's what I'm thinking of
    Yes...stepping up onto a bench or platform. And as you go on you add in weights, dummbells or a barbell (but if you do this do it on a lower step as it throws of your center of gravity a tad). They work great...since I started bringing them in, climbing hills has become a lot easier.
    I read more reps/less weight builds strength and less reps/more weight builds more muscle.....? Is that wrong?

Yes...you are a female honey. In order for us to build the muscle you are thinking it takes year and years of bulking and cutting. And even them most women need supplement help because we lack certain male organs that help them build muscle the way they do. Less weight/more reps is basically another form of muscle cardio....you build endurance that way. The way to build true strength is bringing more weight. Heavy lifting doesn't necissarily mean lifting 200+ lbs, it is just progressively lifting heavier.

Ohhh okay! How many sets/reps should I try to do for squats to build strength? I'll have to try the step ups! How long/often do you usually do them?

I have been doing 3 sets of 8 reps...but I am following the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. And that is where I learned how to do step-ups.

You can do Stronglifts 5X5, that is another popular program, which is I dont' know much about as I havent' done that one. But some runners I have seen on here do that.

I think I'll look into that New Rules of Lifting for Women... It sounds like I could learn a lot from it! Thanks for all the tips and advice!