Milk?!?!

Options
So i never in my life used to drink milk, I have always hated the taste and the smell. I am training myself to like more healthy things and I have always known that milk is good for you, but how is it for someone trying to lose weight? I feel like its calories that may not always be necessary to consume...is it worth to my body what its weight in calories is?? Any thoughts on this?? keep in mind i am only starting out with a small glass one meal a day :)

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    There is no problem with drinking milk. If you're worried about the calories then drink fat free milk.

Oh, and be aware that you more than likely opened up a can of worms and this is more than likely going to turn into the "people aren't meant to drink the milk of animals!" debate.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't drink it. If you do...do. We switched to almond milk for most uses at our house...great on cereal etc. I don't dislike regular milk..this is just a better option for us. There's nothing in milk that you cant get in other foods.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Milk isn't really necessary. If you like cheese or other dairy products you can get the same benefits. I mainly drink milk in my coffee but also enjoy yogurt and cottage cheese as my primary calcium sources.
  • jmac263
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, just a curious question i guess! I know dairy is on the nutrition pyramid for some reason lol and @ just_jennie I am a small town country girl... they can have all the opinions they want :)
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I don't like drinking milk. Sometimes I wish I did though. I have a hard time hitting my recommended calcium intake and need to take calcium supplements.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Make the switch to Almond Milk less calories
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I don't like drinking milk. Sometimes I wish I did though. I have a hard time hitting my recommended calcium intake and need to take calcium supplements.

Calcium isn't needed as much as they try and sell you..............apparently they sold you well.

Vitamin D is far more important than a recommended RDA of calcium. Sure, some calcium is necessary, but not as much as the FDA recommends.

There is a family history of osteoporosis in my family and there is a link with vitamin D deficiency and osteoporosis.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Make the switch to Almond Milk less calories

Impossible. Almonds do not have teats.

Perhaps you are referring to strained sweetened almond water instead?
  • wellz6
    wellz6 Posts: 81
    Options
    If you're considering skim milk for the sake of keeping your calories low, you might wanna check this out first. If you knew how skim milk was processed you probably would never even think about consuming it.

http://butterbeliever.com/fat-free-dairy-skim-milk-secrets/
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Milk is just sugar water
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Milk is just sugar water

How is that so when it has quite a bit of protein and calcium?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    A lot of new studies have recently come out touting the benefits of milk consumption for weight loss others say no. Read it and take it for what you want. (all found on pubmed)

J Nutr. 2013 Jan;143(1):46-52. doi: 10.3945/jn.112.166355. Epub 2012 Nov 28.
    Dairy food consumption and meal-induced cortisol response interacted to influence weight loss in overweight women undergoing a 12-week, meal-controlled, weight loss intervention.
    Witbracht MG, Van Loan M, Adams SH, Keim NL, Laugero KD.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Dairy food enhances weight loss in animal models, possibly by modifying the metabolic effects of cortisol. This study determined in overweight women (ages 20.0-45.9 y; n = 51) whether including dairy food in an energy-restricted diet affects cortisol concentrations and whether differences in provoked cortisol explain the magnitude of weight loss. Women received either an adequate amount of dairy food (AD), the equivalent of ≥711 mL/d milk, or a low amount of dairy food (LD), the equivalent to ≤238 mL/d milk, in a 12-wk, energy-restricted dietary intervention. Participants were tested in a 12-h laboratory visit, which included 2 standard meals and a dinner buffet that was consumed ad libitum. Salivary cortisol was measured from waking to bedtime. Energy restriction increased (P ≤ 0.04) the minimum and decreased (P ≤ 0.02) the diurnal amplitude in the salivary cortisol concentration from baseline to postintervention. Energy restriction enhanced the dinner meal-stimulated salivary cortisol response (DMR) (P ≤ 0.02) but only in the LD group. Compared with the LD treatment, the AD treatment induced (P ≤ 0.04) greater reductions in body weight and fat, but only in women characterized as having a baseline DMR (responders) (n = 26); weight and fat lost in the AD and LD groups were similar in nonresponders (n = 25). Overall, energy restriction dampened diurnal salivary cortisol fluctuations [symptomatic of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis dysfunction] and enhanced dinner meal-stimulated salivary cortisol concentrations. The AD treatment prevented the latter. Furthermore, certain phenotypic markers of HPA axis function may help to expose the weight-reducing effects of consuming dairy food.

Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Oct;96(4):735-47. Epub 2012 Aug 29.
    Effects of dairy intake on body weight and fat: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
    Chen M, Pan A, Malik VS, Hu FB.
    Author information
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Some intervention studies have suggested that dairy products may influence body weight, but the results remain controversial.
    OBJECTIVE:
    We identified and quantified the effects of dairy consumption on body weight and fat mass from randomized controlled trials (RCTs).
    DESIGN:
    We conducted a comprehensive search of PubMed and EMBASE databases (to April 2012) of English reports of RCTs regarding dairy consumption on body weight, body fat, or body weight and body fat in adults. The results across studies were pooled by using a random-effects meta-analysis.
    RESULTS:
    Twenty-nine RCTs were included with a total of 2101 participants. Overall, consumption of dairy products did not result in a significant reduction in weight (-0.14 kg; 95% CI: -0.66, 0.38 kg; I² = 86.3%). In subgroup analysis, consumption of dairy products reduced body weight in the context of energy restriction or short-term intervention (<1 y) trials but had the opposite effect in ad libitum dietary interventions or long-term trials (≥1 y). Twenty-two RCTs that reported results on body fat showed a modest reduction in the dairy group (-0.45 kg; 95% CI: -0.79, -0.11 kg; I² = 70.9%), and further stratified analysis indicated significant beneficial effects of dairy intervention on body fat in energy-restricted or short-term trials but not in long-term or ad libitum studies.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    This meta-analysis does not support the beneficial effect of increasing dairy consumption on body weight and fat loss in long-term studies or studies without energy restriction. However, dairy products may have modest benefits in facilitating weight loss in short-term or energy-restricted RCTs.

Int J Obes (Lond). 2012 Dec;36(12):1485-93. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2011.269. Epub 2012 Jan 17.
    Effect of dairy consumption on weight and body composition in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials.
    Abargouei AS, Janghorbani M, Salehi-Marzijarani M, Esmaillzadeh A.
    Author information
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Although several observational and experimental studies have investigated the effect of dairy consumption on weight and body composition, results are inconsistent.
    OBJECTIVE:
    This systematic review and meta-analysis was conducted to summarize the published evidence from randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs) regarding the effect of dairy consumption on weight, body fat mass, lean mass and waist circumference (WC) in adults.
    DESIGN:
    PubMed, ISI Web of Science, SCOPUS, Science Direct and EMBASE were searched from January 1960 to October 2011 for relevant English and non-English publications. Sixteen studies were selected for the systematic review and fourteen studies were included in meta-analysis.
    RESULTS:
    Our search led to 14, 12, 6 and 8 eligible RCTs that had data on weight, body fat mass, lean mass and WC, respectively. Overall, mean difference for the effect of dairy on body weight was -0.61 kg (95% confidence interval (CI): -1.29, 0.07, P=0.08). Increased dairy intake resulted in 0.72 kg (95% CI: -1.29, -0.14, P=0.01) greater reduction in fat mass, 0.58 kg (95% CI: 0.18, 0.99, P<0.01) gain in lean mass and 2.19 cm (95% CI: -3.42, -0.96, P-value <0.001) further reduction in WC than that in controls. Subgroup analysis revealed that increasing dairy intake without energy restriction in both intervention and control groups does not significantly affect weight, body fat mass, lean mass and WC; consumption of high-dairy weight loss diets led to 1.29 kg (95% CI: -1.98, -0.6, P<0.001) greater weight loss, 1.11 kg (95% CI: -1.75, -0.47, P=0.001) greater reduction in body fat mass, 0.72 kg (95% CI: 0.12, 1.32, P=0.02) gain in body lean mass and 2.43 cm (95% CI: -3.42, -1.44, P<0.001) additional reduction in WC compared with controls.
    CONCLUSION:
    Increased dairy consumption without energy restriction might not lead to a significant change in weight or body composition; whereas inclusion of dairy products in energy-restricted weight loss diets significantly affects weight, body fat mass, lean mass and WC compared with that in the usual weight loss diets.

J Nutr. 2011 Sep;141(9):1626-34. doi: 10.3945/jn.111.141028. Epub 2011 Jul 20.
    Increased consumption of dairy foods and protein during diet- and exercise-induced weight loss promotes fat mass loss and lean mass gain in overweight and obese premenopausal women.
    Josse AR, Atkinson SA, Tarnopolsky MA, Phillips SM.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Weight loss can have substantial health benefits for overweight or obese persons; however, the ratio of fat:lean tissue loss may be more important. We aimed to determine how daily exercise (resistance and/or aerobic) and a hypoenergetic diet varying in protein and calcium content from dairy foods would affect the composition of weight lost in otherwise healthy, premenopausal, overweight, and obese women. Ninety participants were randomized to 3 groups (n = 30/group): high protein, high dairy (HPHD), adequate protein, medium dairy (APMD), and adequate protein, low dairy (APLD) differing in the quantity of total dietary protein and dairy food-source protein consumed: 30 and 15%, 15 and 7.5%, or 15 and <2% of energy, respectively. Body composition was measured by DXA at 0, 8, and 16 wk and MRI (n = 39) to assess visceral adipose tissue (VAT) volume at 0 and 16 wk. All groups lost body weight (P < 0.05) and fat (P < 0.01); however, fat loss during wk 8-16 was greater in the HPHD group than in the APMD and APLD groups (P < 0.05). The HPHD group gained lean tissue with a greater increase during 8-16 wk than the APMD group, which maintained lean mass and the APLD group, which lost lean mass (P < 0.05). The HPHD group also lost more VAT as assessed by MRI (P < 0.05) and trunk fat as assessed by DXA (P < 0.005) than the APLD group. The reduction in VAT in all groups was correlated with intakes of calcium (r = 0.40; P < 0.05) and protein (r = 0.32; P < 0.05). Therefore, diet- and exercise-induced weight loss with higher protein and increased dairy product intakes promotes more favorable body composition changes in women characterized by greater total and visceral fat loss and lean mass gain

Med Sport Sci. 2012;59:94-103. doi: 10.1159/000341968. Epub 2012 Oct 15.
    Impact of milk consumption and resistance training on body composition of female athletes.
    Josse AR, Phillips SM.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Resistance exercise (RE) preceding the provision of high-quality dairy protein supports muscle anabolism. Milk contains bioactive components, including two high-quality protein fractions, calcium and vitamin D, each of which has been shown modulate body composition (increasing lean mass and decreasing fat mass) under energy balance and hypoenergetic conditions. These dairy nutrients are also essential for skeletal health. Acutely, no study of RE and milk/whey consumption has been undertaken exclusively in female athletes, let alone women, nevertheless, studies with both men and women show increased lean mass accretion following milk/whey compared to soy/placebo. Currently, no longer-term RE studies with milk supplementation have been done in female athletes. However, trials in young recreationally active women demonstrated augmented increases in lean mass and decreases in fat mass with RE and milk or whey protein consumption. The amount of protein consumed post-exercise is also important; two trials using yogurt (5 g protein/6 oz) failed to demonstrate a positive change in body composition compared to placebo. For bone health, RE plus dairy improved bone mineral density at clinically important sites and reduced bone resorption. With energy restriction, in one study, higher dairy plus higher protein resulted in greater fat loss, lean mass gain and improved bone health in overweight women. In another study, milk and calcium supplementation showed no greater benefit. Neither trial exclusively utilized RE. Overall, RE and milk/dairy consumption positively impact body composition in women by promoting losses in fat, gains or maintenance of lean mass and preservation of bone. Future studies in female athletes and under energy restriction with RE alone are warranted.

Eur J Clin Nutr. 2012 May;66(5):622-7. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2011.221. Epub 2012 Jan 25.
    The effect of milk proteins on appetite regulation and diet-induced thermogenesis.
    Lorenzen J, Frederiksen R, Hoppe C, Hvid R, Astrup A.
    Author information
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES:
    There is increasing evidence to support that a high-protein diet may promote weight loss and prevent weight (re)gain better than a low-protein diet, and that the effect is due to higher diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) and increased satiety. However, data on the effect of different types of protein are limited. In the present study we compare the effect of whey, casein and milk on DIT and satiety.
    SUBJECTS/METHODS:
    Seventeen slightly overweight (29 ± 4 kg/m(2)) male subjects completed the study. The study had a randomized, crossover design, where the effect on 4 h postprandial energy expenditure (EE), substrate oxidation and subjective appetite sensation of three isocaloric test meals containing either a whey drink, a casein drink or skim milk was examined. Energy intake (EI) at a subsequent ad libitum lunch was also measured.
    RESULTS:
    There was no significant effect on subjective appetite sensation, but EI at lunch was lower after the milk test meal than after the casein (9%; P=0.0260) and the whey (9%; P=0.0258) test meals. Postprandial lipid oxidation was significantly higher after the casein test meal compared with the whey test meal (P=0.0147) when adjusted for baseline values. There was no significant difference in effect on EE, protein oxidation or carbohydrate oxidation.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    Milk reduced subsequent EI more than isocaloric drinks containing only whey or casein. A small but significant increase in lipid oxidation was seen after casein compared with whey.

Nutr Metab (Lond). 2013 Oct 2;10(1):60. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-10-60.
    Metabolic effects of milk protein intake strongly depend on pre-existing metabolic and exercise status.
    Melnik BC, Schmitz G, John S, Carrera-Bastos P, Lindeberg S, Cordain L.
    Abstract
    Milk protein intake has recently been suggested to improve metabolic health. This Perspective provides evidence that metabolic effects of milk protein intake have to be regarded in the context of the individual's pre-existing metabolic and exercise status. Milk proteins provide abundant branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) and glutamine. Plasma BCAAs and glutamine are increased in obesity and insulin resistance, but decrease after gastric bypass surgery resulting in weight loss and improved insulin sensitivity. Milk protein consumption results in postprandial hyperinsulinemia in obese subjects, increases body weight of overweight adolescents and may thus deteriorate pre-existing metabolic disturbances of obese, insulin resistant individuals.

Nutr Metab (Lond). 2013 Jul 3;10(1):46. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-10-46.
    Milk protein for improved metabolic health: a review of the evidence.
    McGregor RA, Poppitt SD.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Epidemiological evidence shows that consumption of dairy products is associated with decreased prevalence of metabolic related disorders, whilst evidence from experimental studies points towards dairy protein as a dietary component which may aid prevention of type 2 diabetes (T2DM). Poor metabolic health is a common characteristic of overweight, obesity and aging, and is the forerunner of T2DM and cardiovascular disease (CVD), and an ever increasing global health issue. Progressive loss of metabolic control is evident from a blunting of carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism, which is commonly manifested through decreased insulin sensitivity, inadequate glucose and lipid control, accompanied by a pro-inflammatory environment and hypertension. Adverse physiological changes such as excess visceral adipose tissue deposition and expansion, lipid overspill and infiltration into liver, muscle and other organs, and sarcopaenia or degenerative loss of skeletal muscle mass and function all underpin this adverse profile. 'Sarcobesity' and sarcopaenic diabetes are rapidly growing health issues. As well as through direct mechanisms, dairy protein may indirectly improve metabolic health by aiding loss of body weight and fat mass through enhanced satiety, whilst promoting skeletal muscle growth and function through anabolic effects of dairy protein-derived branch chain amino acids (BCAAs). BCAAs enhance muscle protein synthesis, lean body mass and skeletal muscle metabolic function. The composition and processing of dairy protein has an impact on digestion, absorption, BCAA kinetics and function, hence the optimisation of dairy protein composition through selection and combination of specific protein components in milk may provide a way to maximize benefits for metabolic health.

Med Sport Sci. 2012;59:127-34. doi: 10.1159/000341954. Epub 2012 Oct 15.
    Chocolate milk: a post-exercise recovery beverage for endurance sports.
    Pritchett K, Pritchett R.
    Author information
    Abstract
    An optimal post-exercise nutrition regimen is fundamental for ensuring recovery. Therefore, research has aimed to examine post-exercise nutritional strategies for enhanced training stimuli. Chocolate milk has become an affordable recovery beverage for many athletes, taking the place of more expensive commercially available recovery beverages. Low-fat chocolate milk consists of a 4:1 carbohydrate:protein ratio (similar to many commercial recovery beverages) and provides fluids and sodium to aid in post-workout recovery. Consuming chocolate milk (1.0-1.5•g•kg(-1) h(-1)) immediately after exercise and again at 2 h post-exercise appears to be optimal for exercise recovery and may attenuate indices of muscle damage. Future research should examine the optimal amount, timing, and frequency of ingestion of chocolate milk on post-exercise recovery measures including performance, indices of muscle damage, and muscle glycogen resynthesis.

To me the evidence is convincing enough to include milk along with portion control.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You can get more calcium from a vitamin and more protein from an egg. Milk is made for babies to gain weight. Dieting people don't need it.
  • ultraconvoy
    Options
    Milk Is awesome! I drink 2% organic valley everyday. When I workout in the morning I make a quick drinkable meal with milk oats and whey.

When I'm on a a cut I do drink almond milk but while milk taste the best.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    You can get more calcium from a vitamin and more protein from an egg. Milk is made for babies to gain weight. Dieting people don't need it.

This myth will never die.

Well, I mean, it's true that no one *needs* it...

...but suggesting that it is counterproductive to losing weight attaches properties to milk that are entirely inaccurate.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So i never in my life used to drink milk, I have always hated the taste and the smell. I am training myself to like more healthy things and I have always known that milk is good for you, but how is it for someone trying to lose weight? I feel like its calories that may not always be necessary to consume...is it worth to my body what its weight in calories is?? Any thoughts on this?? keep in mind i am only starting out with a small glass one meal a day :)

Do not, do not, do NOT FORCE yourself to eat or drink things you DO NOT LIKE for a diet.

Do not do it. Do not like milk? Do not drink it. There are plenty of other ways to get calcium, fats, proteins, or whatever else it is you're after with milk. Don't worry about it!

Like milk? Drink it! It doesn't matter.

I avoid cow's milk because of the estrogen. I avoid soy milk because of the phyto-estrogen. I avoid rice milk because it's a carb load. (I have PCOS so I watch out for carb loads and excess estrogen.)

I use vanilla, unsweetened almond/coconut milk. Why? Because I like it! It's good in my cereal and oatmeal, yum, yum!

Again, my message is simple, no matter what you think, no matter what you've been told, no matter what you've been sold . . . if you do not like a food product, do not consume it.
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk on a regular basis. Not that i have anything against it, i just don't care for it all but a once inhile. . i actually drink almond milk for my shakes .i don't find it nessisary for my weightloss journy, caloric, or protein aspect of it..
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, just a curious question i guess! I know dairy is on the nutrition pyramid for some reason lol and @ just_jennie I am a small town country girl... they can have all the opinions they want :)

Dairy is not just milk though. Its on the MyPlate (we no longer use the pyramid) for the calcium and other nutrients you find in diary products. But you can get these from soy milk, almond milk, yogurt, cheese (though cheese is higher in fat) and other dairy products. Almond and soy milk are great alternatives because they are usually lower in calories/fat and higher in protein and calcium than cows milk, so you may want to try those if you feel you are lacking in calcium intake. Or you can take a supplement of calcium & a secondary Vitamin D supplement.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've recently made the swap to almond milk. I never thought I would like it, but I tend to prefer it now. I usually go with Silk Original or Blue Diamond Breeze. It is like 60 calories a serving. There is nothing wrong with normal milk, but after you get used to almond milk the other milk just seems to taste too fatty.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    All this said, I personally do not like white milk...just don't like the taste...but I'll occasionally have some chocolate milk...and when I do drink milk, I drink Horizon organic milk because that's what we buy for my family because we like spending twice as much as necessary for our milk.

Wait, that isn't why. It's because my pre-teen daughter likes to drink milk and we're trying to minimize the potential impact of the hormones in conventional milk. Does it really matter? Who knows...I like the illusion that it does, and for that reason, I pay double.

Now if only I could find Horizon organic chocolate *whole* milk instead of the 1% stuff because reduced fat milk makes zero sense to me.

We're trying to score a decent raw milk source, but that's a little trickier to navigate...or said another way, it's not as convenient as picking up cartons in the grocery store.

ETA: And I still say almond "milk" is an abomination of nature.