Snacks?

Options
Hey. I was once told that it is good to have healthy snacks to help your metabolism etc and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I can't have any nuts though - this includes peanuts too as I know some people can have peanuts but not other nuts and the other way round.

I'm from England, I made a thread about recipes months and months ago and I got things suggested that were called something else over here, so just throwing that out there if I sound like a loon for not knowing what something is x

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I really like dried fruit as a snack. It's sweet, filling, and yummy. Sometimes even with homemade granola so it's like a little trail mix. I also like cottage cheese, fiber/protein bars (usually in a chocolate flavor to get my fix on that!), and veggies or fruit with hummus or chocolate hazelnut spread (make sure to measure that. Wow it's high in calories!). I still lose weight with little meals all day or big meals 2-3 times a day. I just like little meals so that I don't get hungry and binge at 9 at night!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need to snack (or eat every 2-3 hours) to help your metabolism....

I feel better eating 3-4 meals a day, spaced further apart and bigger in cals, than I ever did eating 6-7 times a day. I don't get hungry between meals, whereas I was constantly starving before.

If you're hungry between meals, go for protein and fat over carbs. It'll keep you satisfied longer
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of snacks and tend to stick to 3 meals per day, but it is personal preference! When I do snack I really like protein snacks such as a hard boiled egg, string cheese, or nuts which I understand you can't have. Good luck!
  • Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'd suggest the recipe I've just added to this forum. Obviously remove any nuts from the recipe.

Takes about 10 minutes to prep and will give you snacks that last a week!

:-)
  • Canada_Torza
    Options
    No, you don't need to snack (or eat every 2-3 hours) to help your metabolism....

I feel better eating 3-4 meals a day, spaced further apart and bigger in cals, than I ever did eating 6-7 times a day. I don't get hungry between meals, whereas I was constantly starving before.

If you're hungry between meals, go for protein and fat over carbs. It'll keep you satisfied longer

Ah I see. It's not a case of me being hungry which is why I want to snack. My doctor told me I need to build my metabolism back up. In September [so a few months back now] I was told that my benign brain tumor had gone and that in order to get my metabolism back on track I had to build it back up- the tumor was in my head and it messed up all my hormones, including my thyroid and my metabolism suffered whilst I was ill so it's a case of wanting to help my metabolism out more than to lose weight.

So do I not need to eat small things in the day? Is there something else I can do? I'm really quite clueless, snacks was just the advice that my doctor gave me and he said eggs because everything else he suggested was nut related which I can't have haha

Grumbers - could you link me? I cannot find the recipe...although I'll have another search in a second :D
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    oh god one of these posts again..im sure you've already gotten it but just incase:

Meal frequency has zero effect on metabolism. You can eat once, twice, three times a day and acquire the same result.

calories in vs calories out

to get your metabolism back you need to exercise and eat to fuel the activity..metabolisms will repair themselves over time unless you suffer from a thyroid condition in which case you need medication
  • Canada_Torza
    Options
    I found the recipe. Flapjacks yum :D

Amadbro - so is that it? I can't help my metabolism in any other way? If that's what I have to do then obviously as I want to lose weight I'm doing that anyway - I was just hoping I could do something out. Since being ill I get tired a lot quicker, which I was told was common and so I was kind of hoping that I could do something to change that a bit quicker. Oh well I guess it'll come in time then.

Edit - sorry you replied as I replied Amadbro :P I don't have a thyroid problem now - I had one as a side effect - they originally thought I had a thyroid problem because of it but my thymine levels are normal, a little on the low side but normal. Exercising is one of the things that I thought I had to do so I walk a lot - I'll try and encourage some running into my lifestyle. Just wondered if food wise there was anything I could do and dr said snacks so assumed it was a good idea :P Oh well, still nice to know a few things to snack on if I get hungry I guess.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    This is horses for courses. Anyone that says "you don't need ..." or "You do need ..." really means "I .... ". What works for one person may not work for another one. If I am exercising a lot I definitely snack on healthy stuff, mainly fruit and protein shakes. I do this to refuel my body after a workout but it stops me feeling sluggish. I am not sure if this is my metabolism slowing down but I'm guessing it is my blood sugar being low which may be the same thing I suppose.
  • GardenOfSongs
    GardenOfSongs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I found the recipe. Flapjacks yum :D

Amadbro - so is that it? I can't help my metabolism in any other way? If that's what I have to do then obviously as I want to lose weight I'm doing that anyway - I was just hoping I could do something out. Since being ill I get tired a lot quicker, which I was told was common and so I was kind of hoping that I could do something to change that a bit quicker. Oh well I guess it'll come in time then.

Edit - sorry you replied as I replied Amadbro :P I don't have a thyroid problem now - I had one as a side effect - they originally thought I had a thyroid problem because of it but my thymine levels are normal, a little on the low side but normal. Exercising is one of the things that I thought I had to do so I walk a lot - I'll try and encourage some running into my lifestyle. Just wondered if food wise there was anything I could do and dr said snacks so assumed it was a good idea :P Oh well, still nice to know a few things to snack on if I get hungry I guess.

I was JUST about to suggest flapjacks :tongue: delicious, (relatively) healthy and filling - maybe chuck some seeds in if you can tolerate them?
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to your doctor. For once, he should know what he is talking about. I would trust that more than a message board. Second, the 2-3 hours is a myth when it comes to building muscle, but it is one of the steps to get a sluggish metabolism going again. Another step is getting active and exercise.
    Here is a link for a website that addresses the issue and has several more recommendations (You might have to copy and paste it in your browser):
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to your doctor. For once, he should know what he is talking about. I would trust that more than a message board. Second, the 2-3 hours is a myth when it comes to building muscle, but it is one of the steps to get a sluggish metabolism going again. Another step is getting active and exercise.
    Here is a link for a website that addresses the issue and has several more recommendations (You might have to copy and paste it in your browser):
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat

Most doctors know absolutely nothing about nutrition! It's not something they are required to learn.

OP, what will help your hormones would be eating lots of fresh produce, proteins and healthy fats. Having sufficient fat and carbs will help a lot. Choose nutrient dense foods to give your body what it needs to help repair and fuel it. If you've been sick, your body may still have a lot of recovering to do . Eat regular meals - however many meals you want, spaced evenly across the day, and add a post workout meal if you exercise.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    beef jerky. yogurt. crackers. string cheese. v8. ice cream. quest bars.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have a nutritionist who helps me plan out my snack based off exchanges..mine are starch and diary and fruit, dairy and fruit, and a bagel with spread OR a 370 cal equivalent with spread so around 400 calories.

For dairy and fruit: Always fruit and yogurt

For starch, dairy, fruit I love:
    Bananas pressed in high fiber tortilla with milk
    Fiber one cereal with low sugar craisins and greek yogurt
    Any cereal with milk and a fruit
    Heated peaches with graham cracker (crumbled on top) and yogurt

For the equivalent i do whatever...typically just my NY style bagel or a lower cal bagel with oatmeal..toppings usually PB2...

But some other snacks I have done in past when on my own and counting calories were:
    Mini potatoes and fat free cheese
    Beans and cheese on corn tortilla
    Whole bag steamable brocolli (about 100 cals) and either tuna or chicken
    Arctic Zero
    Fiber one bar
    Whole cucumber and protein source

So it really depends what you like..
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    All that matters is total calorie intake over the entire day. You can consume those calories in one big meal, or in 6 or 7 little meals, it makes absolutely no difference to your metabolism. In fact, your metabolism isn't even affected by meal timing or meal size unless you go 72 hours or more without eating anything, and in fact your metabolism has been shown to actually speed up slightly during this time before slowing down due to the zero calorie intake. Moral of the story, track your total calorie intake, and your macronutrient intake during the day, eat as many or as few meals as you'd like, snack or don't snack, makes no difference