Help new and need some suggestions

Options
Hello, I am new to MFP. I have found in the past that I can stick to a diet for about 2 weeks then I begin to get very tired. At that point I realize that I just need to eat. I try to make sure I eat enough carbs (not usually a problem since they are my favorite) to maintain the energy levels. But I only ever last a few weeks until I am exhausted all the time. I tried weight watchers and they gave me 26 points a day probably around the same 1450 calories that MFP gives me to use. Any helpful hints or anything to offer to keep from being exhausted in 2 weeks so I dont quit again? I didnt even try throwing in exercise last time I fear I wont even last the 2 weeks.

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would find out your TDEE and try TDEE-15%. Make sure you log correctly. Weigh and measure everything. If you are eating the right amount of food, you shouldn't be getting tired for changing your diet.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to MFP. I have found in the past that I can stick to a diet for about 2 weeks then I begin to get very tired. At that point I realize that I just need to eat. I try to make sure I eat enough carbs (not usually a problem since they are my favorite) to maintain the energy levels. But I only ever last a few weeks until I am exhausted all the time. I tried weight watchers and they gave me 26 points a day probably around the same 1450 calories that MFP gives me to use. Any helpful hints or anything to offer to keep from being exhausted in 2 weeks so I dont quit again? I didnt even try throwing in exercise last time I fear I wont even last the 2 weeks.

To be honest, carbs are really not the way to go ifyou're trying to avoid being tired. Carbs don't give you instant energy, they have to go through a pretty major conversion process for your body to even use them. Your body will use protein and fat first, and store the carbs for later. Also, carbs get converted to sugar, which will lead to spikes and drops in your blood sugar levels so you will feel energized for only a short while and then crash. Try to stick to lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fish; add fruits and vegetables for the main bulk of your food. Carbs should be minimized. Exercise will be easier for you as well, if you are consuming a good amount of protein and avoid the carbs.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options

To be honest, carbs are really not the way to go ifyou're trying to avoid being tired. Carbs don't give you instant energy, they have to go through a pretty major conversion process for your body to even use them. Your body will use protein and fat first, and store the carbs for later. Also, carbs get converted to sugar, which will lead to spikes and drops in your blood sugar levels so you will feel energized for only a short while and then crash. Try to stick to lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fish; add fruits and vegetables for the main bulk of your food. Carbs should be minimized. Exercise will be easier for you as well, if you are consuming a good amount of protein and avoid the carbs.

Yes and no. yes carbs are converted to sugar but this sugar is what our bodies use for energy for those first 30 minutes of aerobic exercise. For proper brain function you need to maintain at least 120g of carbohydrates a day. Less than that and you will be tired due to no energy for your body. You will also feel "foggy". Protein and fats are key to stop the spiking and dropping of blood sugars. If you are eating a well balanced meal with carbohydrate, protein, fats, and vegetables you should not have spikes and drops in your blood sugars because the protein and fat slow the digestion of the carbs and help to level out your blood sugars. (this is coming from a diabetic, diabetes educator, and Registered Dietitian)
  • GabeLaverty
    GabeLaverty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Many people starting out try to do too much too soon. If 1450 calories is a huge difference from what you're currently consuming, you're going to burn out very quickly. The other issue is thinking of this as dieting. I say don't do anything that you wouldn't be comfortable doing the rest of your life. In other words, don't diet at 1200 calories with zero carbs if you're not planning on keeping with that for a while (still a bad idea either way).

Instead, pick one thing each week to change about your eating habits. The first week, try drinking 4 glasses of water a day, and gradually increase to 8. If you get a craving during the day or evening, grab a glass of water first. If you're still hungry, grab a snack, but you might have actually been thirsty. Week 2, try adding a new vegetable to your weekly menu. Week 3, substitute one "bad" food for a "good" food for that one meal. Week 4, try eating off of a slightly smaller plate than what you currently eat off of. This will gradually reduce the portion size and make your plate look more full. Week 5, try to have a "family"dinner, with no distractions. Eat slowly, enjoy the company and conversation. If you don't have a group of people to sit down with, no big deal, just try to be mindful with your eating and take your time. You'll be more satisfied at the end of the meal.

Those are examples, but try building a plan that changes one thing at a time. Sit down and look at the next 6-12 weeks and pick one thing to change about your eating habits each week. The best way to sustain changes is to set goals that you will enjoy / be able to accomplish and maintain those as part of your lifestyle change.

Good luck!
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Fat: Solid or liquid, generally odorless, tasteless, greasy material found in plants and animal tissue. The function in the body is stored, high quality energy. Examples of Fats:

Butter
    Olive Oil
    Coconut Oil
    Nuts & Seeds, including Nut Butters (raw is best)
    Flaxseed Oil
    Meat, Fish & Poultry Fat
    Cheese
    Avocados

Oils are the key to having a strong metabolism, shift to fat burning and have high energy all day. More oil, better results.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    If you're too tired you either aren't eating enough calories, aren't getting enough rest, aren't eating the right things, you're ill, or you're too stressed. Try to figure out which of these it could be and make a change to see if there is any improvement.
  • stt43
    Options

This is completely incorrect. Carbs are the first source of energy your body uses. It only converts protein into carbs if it has to, and will store fat as fat as much as it can. If you are active then you need carbs for energy or else your body will not function optimally, especially during exercise.
  • chuckinstuff1
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am a nursing student and am well aware of how the body needs carbs to work and maintain sugar and energy levels. I get plenty of sleep. May be the stress that gets me since i am currently in school. I tend to eat well for the most part. Over the past year i have tried to make at least 1/2 my plate to be full of veggies/fruit. When i snack though i will grab what ever is around, chips, cookies, ice cream and such. But if i cut out my snacks i tend to stay around 1200 calories...today i only have 1000 so far and i didnt even have a good breakfast (cookie and coffee) so i am having something good for a snack tonite. I usually only drink water so i dont even drink my calories. I am not hungry usually, if i am i eat. But i still get so tired and all i want to do is sleep.

The oil thing is new to me. I havent heard that. Where might i be able to find more information on that?
  • chuckinstuff1
    Options
    b
  • mccindy72
    Options

This is completely incorrect. Carbs are the first source of energy your body uses. It only converts protein into carbs if it has to, and will store fat as fat as much as it can. If you are active then you need carbs for energy or else your body will not function optimally, especially during exercise.

sorry, you are incorrect. The body must covert carbohydrates,which are a complex organism, to a simple sugar, by chemical process in the liver. Once converted to sugar, the body will burn that if necessary, but if there have been any other foods (fats or simple sugars) ingested, these will have been used first, by the time the conversion process is complete, and the carbs will be stored. In the last 50 years Americans have moved away from eating saturated fats (which would be used first) to eating large and multiple serviings of carbohydrates (mainly in the form of white, refined starches). This is the reason for the obesity epidemic in our country.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am a nursing student and am well aware of how the body needs carbs to work and maintain sugar and energy levels. I get plenty of sleep. May be the stress that gets me since i am currently in school. I tend to eat well for the most part. Over the past year i have tried to make at least 1/2 my plate to be full of veggies/fruit. When i snack though i will grab what ever is around, chips, cookies, ice cream and such. But if i cut out my snacks i tend to stay around 1200 calories...today i only have 1000 so far and i didnt even have a good breakfast (cookie and coffee) so i am having something good for a snack tonite. I usually only drink water so i dont even drink my calories. I am not hungry usually, if i am i eat. But i still get so tired and all i want to do is sleep.

The oil thing is new to me. I havent heard that. Where might i be able to find more information on that?

There are some very good websites that will give you information about the healthy fats (coconut oil is a great one, and so is olive oil). Healthy saturated fats like these are very good for your body.
    http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01037
  • stt43
    Options

Oil is just a fat source which is pure fat, there is nothing special about it in terms of energy levels. I think it's probably that your calories are too low, especially if you are an active person.
  • stt43
    Options

sorry, you are incorrect. The body must covert carbohydrates,which are a complex organism, to a simple sugar, by chemical process in the liver. Once converted to sugar, the body will burn that if necessary, but if there have been any other foods (fats or simple sugars) ingested, these will have been used first, by the time the conversion process is complete, and the carbs will be stored. In the last 50 years Americans have moved away from eating saturated fats (which would be used first) to eating large and multiple serviings of carbohydrates (mainly in the form of white, refined starches). This is the reason for the obesity epidemic in our country.

I think you have read too many low-carb diet books, or have gone insane. What do you think carbohydrates are for? The whole point of carbs is for energy, which is absorbed into the blood during digestion. Protein is only used for energy when there is nothing else, and has to be converted to glucose in the liver. Fat is only used if there aren't enough carbs, which is why if you have a low carb diet your body switches from using carbs as a primary energy source to using fat.
    I'm pretty sure lots of fat people are still eating a hell of a lot of saturated fat. The reason for obesity is not burning off the calories they are eating, regardless of what type of foods these calories are coming from.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I think you have read too many low-carb diet books, or have gone insane. What do you think carbohydrates are for? The whole point of carbs is for energy, which is absorbed into the blood during digestion. Protein is only used for energy when there is nothing else, and has to be converted to glucose in the liver. Fat is only used if there aren't enough carbs, which is why if you have a low carb diet your body switches from using carbs as a primary energy source to using fat.
    I'm pretty sure lots of fat people are still eating a hell of a lot of saturated fat. The reason for obesity is not burning off the calories they are eating, regardless of what type of foods these calories are coming from.
    I don't think there's any call to be rude. I work in the medical field and have done quite a bit of study on metabolism and diet, as well as years of experience and research. People who are obese tend to eat very carb-heavy diets, as well as too much unhealthy saturated fat. There are also people with naturally high metabolisms who are thin but unhealthy because they do not eat a healthy diet. Carbohydrates are converted by the liver into glucose, which is then stored as fat. OUr current food pyramid is incorrect, as it lists too many servings of carbohydrates and ignores the body's need for healthy saturated fats. When protein and carbohydrates are eaten together, the carbs are stored as fat.
    http://www.unisci.com/stories/20013/0731014.htm
  • stt43
    Options

I don't think there's any call to be rude. I work in the medical field and have done quite a bit of study on metabolism and diet, as well as years of experience and research. People who are obese tend to eat very carb-heavy diets, as well as too much unhealthy saturated fat. There are also people with naturally high metabolisms who are thin but unhealthy because they do not eat a healthy diet. Carbohydrates are converted by the liver into glucose, which is then stored as fat. OUr current food pyramid is incorrect, as it lists too many servings of carbohydrates and ignores the body's need for healthy saturated fats. When protein and carbohydrates are eaten together, the carbs are stored as fat.
    http://www.unisci.com/stories/20013/0731014.htm

People who are obese tend to eat a diet heavy in everything.
    Glucose is already a carbohydrate, as is absorbed straight into the blood from the intestines. The other types of carbohydrates which aren't glucose are converted to glucose by the liver and then used as energy. If the body doesn't need these carbohydrates they are stored as glycogen in the muscles, ready to be used. Any further excess is stored as fat.
    Athletes consume a lot of carbohydrates to give them the optimal performance during exercise. This is because carbohydrates are used for energy.
    When carbs and protein are eaten together, the carbs prevent the protein being used as energy. You don't want the protein being used as energy, that's not what protein is for.
    The link that you sent says that 'excessively high-carbohydrate intake' will be turned into body fat, especially when combined with a sedentary lifestyle'. This is correct, as the high level of caloric energy in such a high intake wouldn't be burned off by someone sedentary. This would be the same if regardless as to whether it were fat or protein too, and isn't because carbs are bad.
    The link states that 'foods beyond the body's energy and nutritional needs, these carbohydrates become a flood of glucose, and the liver converts the surplus glucose to fat'. Again, this isn't because carbs themselves are inherently bad, it's from eating too many, i.e. consuming more calories than your body burns off. These calories are then turned to fat. This happens if they are from fat and protein too.
    You've basically sent me a link that says excess carbohydrate calories are turned into fat. We all know that already. What I'm saying is that carbohydrates are used as an energy source first, if there is too much then it is stored as fat, if there is not enough then your body uses fat and protein too. If there is too much fat and protein these will get stored as fat also.
    The protein they talk of in the study is a specific protein, not just any general protein that you eat.
    Also, the study was done only on rats, and it was done over 12 years ago.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Glucose is already a carbohydrate, as is absorbed straight into the blood from the intestines. The other types of carbohydrates which aren't glucose are converted to glucose by the liver and then used as energy. If the body doesn't need these carbohydrates they are stored as glycogen in the muscles, ready to be used. Any further excess is stored as fat.
    Athletes consume a lot of carbohydrates to give them the optimal performance during exercise. This is because carbohydrates are used for energy.
    When carbs and protein are eaten together, the carbs prevent the protein being used as energy. You don't want the protein being used as energy, that's not what protein is for.

Glucose is a simple carbohydrate. Consumed carbohydrates like bread and pasta are COMPLEX carbohydrates and have to be converted to simple carbohydrates by the liver, as I said before. Simple sugars are used immediately for energy, which is why drinking soda or juice will give you energy quickly, and then in a short while, you will crash without backup energy.

If you pay attention to what athletes do, they carbo-load HOURS before an event so that their body has time to convert the complex carbs to simples and store them for energy to be used during an endurance event. When carbs and protein are eaten together, the protein is used immediately, while the carbohydrates are broken down (a long process) and then stored.
  • stt43
    Options

Glucose is a simple carbohydrate. Consumed carbohydrates like bread and pasta are COMPLEX carbohydrates and have to be converted to simple carbohydrates by the liver, as I said before. Simple sugars are used immediately for energy, which is why drinking soda or juice will give you energy quickly, and then in a short while, you will crash without backup energy.

If you pay attention to what athletes do, they carbo-load HOURS before an event so that their body has time to convert the complex carbs to simples and store them for energy to be used during an endurance event. When carbs and protein are eaten together, the protein is used immediately, while the carbohydrates are broken down (a long process) and then stored.

So simple sugars are used for energy, but complex carbs are converted into simple sugars, and then just stored as fat?
    Yes, athletes eat carbohydrates hours before they exercise to give their body time to digest their food to release the energy, and also so they aren't exercising with a stomach full of food. According to you they shouldn't do this though, and are completely wrong, as these carbs will just be stored as fat and not used for energy at all. They should be consuming fat before they exercise, right? Carbs will decrease performance, correct?
    Yes, protein is digested quicker than carbohydrates, but it isn't used for energy as the carbohydrates are, as protein has a different function. Protein is only used for energy if your body can't get its energy from other sources.
    Your body isn't so useless at consuming food for energy that by the time it digests it it doesn't need it any more. It will only store what it doesn't need. So even if it did digest and use the protein and fat as energy first, it would still use the carbs as energy also, unless you were consuming too many calories, in which case the fat gain would be from the calories rather just because you ate a specific type of food.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between a carb from an apple vs a carb from pasta/Rice?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Is there a difference between a carb from an apple vs a carb from pasta/Rice?

Yes, the apple is a simple carb - the sugar is ready to be used as soon as it is digested; the rice is a complex carb, and must be broken down in the liver.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/291272-list-of-complex-carbs-vs-simple-carbs/
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    In.
    Something tells me there will soon be cats.
    post-19287-Zooey-Deschanel-sad-New-Girl-J-VhQm.gif
This discussion has been closed.