A life-changing decision.

Options
I have just signed up for a gym membership.
Oddly, I am feeling rather motivated right now. Keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't change.
I currently weigh 180lbs and I'm a little under 5'3.

It's nearly 2014 and I really hope that I'm strong enough to do this. I know it'll be hard at first, but supposedly it gets easier after a couple of weeks/months.
I'm also hoping that this forum will keep me motivated.

Replies

• laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi Minexo! Welcome to MFP :-) Congrats on being here, on signing up for a gym membership, and on feeling motivated! Remember, motivation comes and goes (and comes and goes, and comes and goes) - crossing your fingers alone won't keep the motivation around, but You can choose to keep your motivation going! Remember the Zig Ziglar quote "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily" - you'll have some times you feel more motivated and some times that you feel less... it's up to you to find ways to break through the lower times of motivation and get back to good!
    Set some specific and realistic goals for yourself... mini goals as well as big goals. And then set rewards for reaching your goals. They can be big or small, but I recommend using non-edible rewards... think getting a manicure (or buying new nail polish and doing it yourself), trying a new fun activity, going to a museum, getting a massage, that kind of thing.
    And keep active on here - the support I get from being active in MFP really helps me to keep my motivation up!
    I'm sure people will have lots of advice and guidance and support to give you... best of luck to you, enjoy your time on here with us, and enjoy your new, future, healthier self!
  • AllAboutMeIn2014
    Options
    Good for you! I'm rooting for ya!
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm very lazy when it comes to exercise, but I've just downloaded and starting using Zombies, Run and I'm already addicted. If you're into zombie games, give it a look.
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Keep logging foods and exercise. Happy 2014. Harriet
  • minexo
    Options
    laceyfowler, I really like what you said about setting realistic big and small goals for myself! I'm definitely going to buy a journal and write down what I want to achieve. Thanks for the great advice! And I'm definitely going to stick around this time.

rie_q, will do, I love zombies, haha! :bigsmile:
  • minexo
    Options
    GuitarJerry, great advice, thank you!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by the strength I feel after my workouts. Are there day's I don't want to even think about doing one of course but then I take a minute and remind myself if I don't do the workout I lose the strong power of the post workout. You'll feel worn and dragged out those first few weeks but it's so worth it once the habit has formed (around 3 weeks) and then you'll be starting to see and feel a new and improved you. Good luck, be honest with yourself and try not to fall into the not eating and number on the scale traps. Eat right, move more and healthy is what you'll get.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have just signed up for a gym membership.
    Oddly, I am feeling rather motivated right now. Keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't change.
    I currently weigh 180lbs and I'm a little under 5'3.

It's nearly 2014 and I really hope that I'm strong enough to do this. I know it'll be hard at first, but supposedly it gets easier after a couple of weeks/months.
    I'm also hoping that this forum will keep me motivated.

I bet 90% of Gym memberships are taken out between now and the middle of Jan. And then most of the people go a couple of times and then don't bother again :-(. My advice is don't be one of them. the big thing is take it slowly and steadily. Don't hurt yourself in the first month so badly that you don't go again. Get into the habit and you can change your life - be determined not to be one of the 90%. There is no need to be. Also get yourself a target and go for it. Goals seem very important to a lot of people. Decide YOU are going to to be a person who ...runs a mile, 5K, lifts X, bikes 15K. And then don't try and do it all at once :-). Nice and steady, go after your goals. And as you approach them (Not afterwards) set yourself your next goals so when you hit your first goal you need to keep going because the next one is round the corner. You can do it, you really can. Have great fun and all the best to you
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Every day that you do something better to achieve your weightloss and fitness goals is progress. The motivation will be gone in a few weeks..and then probably only appear in spurts. it sucks but that is usually how it goes. The hardest part and where you define yourself is when you can push through the days/weeks where you have NO motivation and the "old" you wants to fight their way back into your life, and throw everything that you have achieved right out the window.

Don't give up on yourself. you DESERVE to be healthy & happy. It doesn't have to be perfect. No one is perfect. you WILL stumble and you WILL fall..it's getting back up and moving forward no matter what that sets you apart from the rest.

Best of luck!

ps. MFP is amazing. you will find the most inspiring, motivating, encouraging and HONEST people here. Everyone has to start somewhere..whether its weight you have to lose, gain or just want to get fit. This is the place to go for help! :flowerforyou:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Motivation will not help you. It's pure discipline that will get you through. Make exercise a habit, and just something you do everyday, like brushing your teeth, and you'll have a winning recipe. If you rely on motivation, you won't last long. That wears off pretty quick.

Horses for courses :-) Because motivation doesn't help you it doesn't exclude its usefulness for others. I agree though the motivation must be long lasting. And I also agree my experience is that sometimes I have to dig deep to go when my motivation isn't dragging me along. It soon comes back though when I see progress
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi Minexo! Welcome to MFP :-) Congrats on being here, on signing up for a gym membership, and on feeling motivated! Remember, motivation comes and goes (and comes and goes, and comes and goes) - crossing your fingers alone won't keep the motivation around, but You can choose to keep your motivation going! Remember the Zig Ziglar quote "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily" - you'll have some times you feel more motivated and some times that you feel less... it's up to you to find ways to break through the lower times of motivation and get back to good!
    Set some specific and realistic goals for yourself... mini goals as well as big goals. And then set rewards for reaching your goals. They can be big or small, but I recommend using non-edible rewards... think getting a manicure (or buying new nail polish and doing it yourself), trying a new fun activity, going to a museum, getting a massage, that kind of thing.
    And keep active on here - the support I get from being active in MFP really helps me to keep my motivation up!
    I'm sure people will have lots of advice and guidance and support to give you... best of luck to you, enjoy your time on here with us, and enjoy your new, future, healthier self!
    [/quote]
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I set a goal of losing 100lbs...5lbs at a time.

I celebrate each 5lbs...pat myself on the back...make plans for that next 5lbs.

I guess my motivation is...what I ate...the exercise that I did...played a role in losing that 5lbs...so if I want to lose the next 5lbs...I need to keep it up.

Good luck...find what works for you!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Motivation will not help you. It's pure discipline that will get you through. Make exercise a habit, and just something you do everyday, like brushing your teeth, and you'll have a winning recipe. If you rely on motivation, you won't last long. That wears off pretty quick.

Horses for courses :-) Because motivation doesn't help you it doesn't exclude its usefulness for others. I agree though the motivation must be long lasting. And I also agree my experience is that sometimes I have to dig deep to go when my motivation isn't dragging me along. It soon comes back though when I see progress

Motivation is fleeting. It's not motivation that makes winners. I'm not making this up. It goes all the way back to Aristotle. It is discipline. Successful people inherently know this without fooling themselves that they are motivated to succeed. They aren't, they are extremely disciplined. Aristotle said excellence is a habit. I believe that.

I say the same thing about "will power"...it comes and goes...you can't depend on it. Discipline however is something you have a choice about.

I hate that term "will power". I like the term "self discipline".
  • rgriffin26
    Options
    I totally dare with taking it slow. I hate exercising but this year 2013 I made a decision to exercise at least 4 times per week. I just walked around my workplace for 30 minutes and I lost 60 lbs. of course, I started doing weight watcher but it cost too much money and now I'm trying yo do this on my own. I heard about this app and I think I will continue to exercise and tracking what I eat. That is my weakness tracking my food intake.