How to get rid of big hips and thighs ladies???

Options
Hi guys right now i weigh 165 lbs and i want to get to 120 lbs so 45 lbs to go!! Woohooo... But at my heaviest i weighed 190lbs so, so far ive lost 25lbs but even though im losing weight i dont see MUCH difference in my hips and thighs... As you can tell im a stubborn pear shape and i know most women suffer from this horrible... "disease" (men u dont understand!!!). So if you understand what im going through and you've changed those areas can you please give me the exercises, tips etc that you used to get rid of them (not get rid just tone and smallen) thanks a lot!

Replies

• TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Run :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. There are no special exercises that will target one specific area and burn fat from that area. Tone and smallen (sic) is just another way of saying lose the layer of fat covering the muscle, because that's what toned people have - less fat covering the muscle. The only solution is to lose the weight, and it's going to come off of whatever area it pleases in whatever order it wants.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, so your body is going to let go of weight where it is genetically programmed to do so. I'm an "apple" shape so any extra weight automatically goes to the abdomen/torso. It's the first place it goes and it's the last place to come off.

Overall fat loss is the way to go. Your body will let go of the weight where it wants to let it go. Not much you can do about that, I'm afraid.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hi guys right now i weigh 165 lbs and i want to get to 120 lbs so 45 lbs to go!! Woohooo... But at my heaviest i weighed 190lbs so, so far ive lost 25lbs but even though im losing weight i dont see MUCH difference in my hips and thighs... As you can tell im a stubborn pear shape and i know most women suffer from this horrible... "disease" (men u dont understand!!!). So if you understand what im going through and you've changed those areas can you please give me the exercises, tips etc that you used to get rid of them (not get rid just tone and smallen) thanks a lot!

Disease? K..yeah I'm out. :huh: :noway: :noway:
  • sara_qayoom
    Options
    Hmm frustrating... But what about squats and lunges etc cant they HELP "spot reduce" for example my thighs?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hmm frustrating... But what about squats and lunges etc cant they HELP "spot reduce" for example my thighs?

No.

Calorie deficit + time + patience = results.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Run :)

^ This...this, this, this.

I didn't see a difference in my thighs or butt until I started running...I almost have a gap now...again, didn't start until I began running.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it comes down to losing fat and that is driven mostly by your diet. Of course some good leg training will help shape those areas but it will be largely unnoticed until your body fat percentage is lower.

I'm not saying to ignore exercise but they key to getting rid of them given your current body-weight lies in the kitchen, not the gym.

Good luck!
  • donnymom
    donnymom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Walking, lungeing and squats and of course, eating healthy always helps. It worked for my friend!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. There are no special exercises that will target one specific area and burn fat from that area. Tone and smallen (sic) is just another way of saying lose the layer of fat covering the muscle, because that's what toned people have - less fat covering the muscle. The only solution is to lose the weight, and it's going to come off of whatever area it pleases in whatever order it wants.

Actually, not entirely true.

I had this exact same problem....counting calories diligently, doing Pilates, doing the elliptical and arc trainer and circuits...but certain areas weren't changing at all.
    Then I started running and that changed everything...also spiked my weight loss. Again, it is overall weight loss, but running is a great overall toning exercise and really can have an impact on how your lower body looks in particular
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, strength training/lifting weights, time, patience
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Quoted for truth (and cool socks...)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shape-started in size 14 jeans and I'm now in maintenance and wearing size 2 jeans. I had to lose almost 20lbs more than my original goal weight to get here, but eventually it did happen, just by a calorie deficit :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Quoted for truth (and cool socks...)

Ha! Thanks :wink:
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Unfortunately THIS!

You can target areas to tone up, but you cannot spot reduce fat. Eat at a calorie deficit and incorporate strength exercises to help in toning.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm more of an hourglass, but when I was a bit heavier I had too much extra fat on my thighs, hips. Lose weight (it'll reduce size all over, but if you're a pear, you'll still be a pear) & incorporate strength exercises. Personally, I've had success with Pilates--- we do leg work in every class, using orbits, the ball, bands, fitness circles, etc. Look up some of the exercises on YouTube, I'm sure you'll find something :smile: (for example, leg abductor & adductor exercises? I'm sure someone more well-versed can elaborate)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Once a pear, always a pear. I still have a 10-11" difference between my waist and my hips. It's just that after several years of yoga, running, weight lifting, and a calorie deficit, the numbers are 25-35 instead of 31-42.

Lifting weights to define your upper body/shoulders can make a pear shape look more flattering.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    disease?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Each of us has a 'place' where we will gain and lose fat first and last. Losing the fat is what will 'improve' those areas that we gain first and lose last. Just like what most everyone else has said. - The kitchen and calories. That said, exercise of all types will help you all over. in my case, with my arthritis, running was out of the question - however - I incorporated lots of walking along with the gym and found my hips and thighs responded amazingly. You will have to find what works for you!