Replies

• CrazyWhiskers
    CrazyWhiskers Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I will log forever!
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I often log my whole day first thing in the morning, takes almost no time at all and it also saves time.. I dont find myself in the open door of the fridge frozen like a deer in headlights 3 to 6 times a day lol.

Try not seeing it as a bother and try to see it for what it is.. a very helpful tool.
  • SusyPatty
    SusyPatty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been logging in for 600 days. I look forward to logging in every day. I like to see what I am doing right & stop what I am doing wrong.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I log every day and actually do it the night before so I know what I am having the next day. I sometimes change it the next day, but not too often. This has helped me immensely because logging calories is the only thing that has helped me lose weight. I imagine that I will keep doing this for life. I don't mind doing it and I like the control it gives me over my eating habits. I also like how organized it makes my next day because I already have my food planned out. It takes away that stress for me.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Not logging my calories and /or exercise when I attempt to lose weight and get fit makes as much sense as not balancing my checkbook when I attempt to pay down my debt and build savings.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've just gone thru a major WTH phase. And over the last couple of months, gained back twenty pounds. And in that time, my logging suffered. I'd log breakfast and lunch and then it was a free-for-all. I'm getting back on track, which means my logging and weighing, using the scales, taking measurements, etc needs to get back on track. That is how I keep myself accountable. Not logging always goes along with weight gain for me, but I keep trying it anyway. :-p

Myfitnesspal is the easiest site that I have found to be able to hold yourself accountable with your food and weight without having it consume your life. You just need to want it badly enough and commit to doing what it takes. Good luck!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Not logging my calories and /or exercise when I attempt to lose weight and get fit makes as much sense as not balancing my checkbook when I attempt to pay down my debt and build savings.

^^Perfect analogy!
    It all comes down to what you want, and how bad you want it. I lost 58 lbs in my first year on MFP, because I logged in every day and logged all my foods every day. When life got busy and I started slacking off on logging my foods- then my weight loss stopped.
    I have been not logging much at all for the past few months, and I am up 7 lbs. YIKES! Fortunately, because I still log in every day, my goals are still in the forefront of my mind, or else it probably would be a much higher gain.
    I am working my way back on track, and after this week is done, I will be back to square one mentally, and finish this!
    I know that even when I reach goal weight, I will forever have to log in some capacity to keep myself from gaining back the weight.

It took me many years to get past my mental block of logging my calories consistently. I always got bored after a few days and hated it. I finally realized that it was just my immaturity talking. I was rebelling against the authority of accountability. When I finally 'grew up' and accepted that there are things you have to do to succeed in life, whether you like it or not, THEN, I started making real progress.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Logging over 930 days in a row and counting...
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    487 days and counting:)
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It gets easier with time, phone apps help.

Especially if you're going to be on your phone anyway,:wink: as some people do, twitter, FB, internet browsing, etc...
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I really think I am a person who is going to need to do it forever. As soon as I slip I go back to old habits and gain. Maybe I am a person who needs a chart in front of me to tell me where I am at to feel in control. I have made a goal for myself to log every single day for the year. I think for me it's just vital. And I'm okay with that.
  • Dissecti0n
    Options

One is required and one isn't...If you attempt to lose weight for 30 years ok. But once you do it for 2 years, lose the weight, you should have a general idea of how much you are eating.
  • Dissecti0n
    Options
    I really think I am a person who is going to need to do it forever. As soon as I slip I go back to old habits and gain. Maybe I am a person who needs a chart in front of me to tell me where I am at to feel in control. I have made a goal for myself to log every single day for the year. I think for me it's just vital. And I'm okay with that.

I think that it does keep us in check a lot. But I just think people need to reach a point where they dont need to log
  • Dissecti0n
    Options

^^Perfect analogy!
    It all comes down to what you want, and how bad you want it. I lost 58 lbs in my first year on MFP, because I logged in every day and logged all my foods every day. When life got busy and I started slacking off on logging my foods- then my weight loss stopped.
    I have been not logging much at all for the past few months, and I am up 7 lbs. YIKES! Fortunately, because I still log in every day, my goals are still in the forefront of my mind, or else it probably would be a much higher gain.
    I am working my way back on track, and after this week is done, I will be back to square one mentally, and finish this!
    I know that even when I reach goal weight, I will forever have to log in some capacity to keep myself from gaining back the weight.

It took me many years to get past my mental block of logging my calories consistently. I always got bored after a few days and hated it. I finally realized that it was just my immaturity talking. I was rebelling against the authority of accountability. When I finally 'grew up' and accepted that there are things you have to do to succeed in life, whether you like it or not, THEN, I started making real progress.

Do you guys honestly think its healthy that once you stop logging you stop losing? That shows that the logging wasn't teaching you much. When I logged for like 4 months I ate the same foods 3-5 days out of the week, I pretty much knew on days I forgot to log how much I ate at each meal because I ate the same stuff.

I did it for months I didn't hate it, it was just tedious. I dont think logging has anything to do with growing up and being mature though
  • Dissecti0n
    Options
    I want to be able to lose weight and maintain with out having to measure every single splash of bbq sauce on my nugget.

You can.

What's preventing you from doing so?

?? Nothing I lost 30 pounds this year.
  • Dissecti0n
    Options
    It was fun as first, but 5 months later, I just about hate it,

I refuse to eat a lot only because I either do not know the name of the food im about to eat, or just cannot be bothered logging it, not because of my calorie limit.

This christmas showed how awful it's becoming so I just logged a Generic Christmas Dinner (1 Course), and I left it at 1000 calories comsumed.

lol I agree with you. Having to hunt down every single item when you try a new meal is very annoying.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Like I did it for 3 months at the beginning of this year and got so burnt out. I want to be able to lose weight and maintain with out having to measure every single splash of bbq sauce on my nugget. It just seems like an unrealistic way to live out the rest of your life.

Like I get gun-ho about logging for a few weeks then its just like a job.

almost everyday for 1195 days..the few days I did not log in all that time were chosen before hand. I log for a number of reasons...one being weight control, one being to monitor intake so I can keep on top of migraines etc, one is to make sure i eat enough and the right things when training for big races, one reason is that I am neurotic. Finally, by logging I allow myself treats when they fit my goals without the guilt I would have felt without the logs.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Like sometimes 2 or 3 days. Life is so freaking busy!
  • albloomfield60
    Options
    I'm going to log for the rest of my life, or a major stroke, which ever comes first.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've logged for about 550 consecutive days now. I kind of like doing it, so I'll probably continue. I did lose weight without logging, but doing this kind of makes me feel more in control.

I'm 24 weeks pregnant, and the only days I haven't logged my meals are just for 3 days over Xmas! I was joking with my husband that I'd still be logging when I'm in labour, and wondering if there's a calorie burn for labour and giving birth in the database :laugh: