Glutes not sore

Options
i have been training for a little over a month now and most of the time, i experience soreness the day after working out my legs/glutes. but yesterday, i went pretty heavy with squats and introduced deadlifts to my workout and strangely, my glutes aren't sore at all. however my traps and lower back and back of my thighs are, possibly from deadlifiting.

does this mean i didn't work out my glutes properly? i made sure i was in proper form and squeezed my bum as i did the exercises

Replies

• googlebear123
    Options
    does this mean i didn't work out my glutes properly?

no, i never get sore after a workout. soreness doesnt imply a good workout
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It could be a couple of things:
    1) You could be adapted to the weight you're using in the squats.
    2) You could have been holding back a bit, knowing you had deadlifts coming.
    3) The pain centers in the hamstrings, lower back and lats are firing a lot harder than those in your glutes.

In either case, I wouldn't worry about it. If you think it is #1, increase the weight slightly (and be sure you're using the same cadence) for your next workout. It is a bit harder to deal with #2 as it takes practice to really be "in the moment" when you lift. Intensity is driven by many factors (weight, distance, time, and as you put it, squeeze). If your issue is #3, that will work itself out when you get more adapted to the deadlift.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The glutes are a very large, very strong muscle group. They do get worked as a byproduct of squats, deadlifts etc, but unless you work them in isolation it's very hard to stress them. Do barbell hip thrusts or something.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    soreness doesnt imply a good workout

^^^ That. You can make progress without being sore.