Thanksgiving & holiday foods

Options
I'm always hearing about making healthy choices during the holidays but that's not something I'm willing to do. I fully intend to pig out for Thanksgiving & for Christmas, I'll try to avoid seconds but I can't make any promises & I will just add an extra day at the gym during those weeks in which I'm indulging. Does anyone else feel this way or are you planning on making healthy choices during the holidays? If so, what food will you be omitting & what will you replace it with?

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I WILL be eating the yummy food that I want to eat. I don't often eat all this goodness, so I will partake. I will try to limit portions though.
  • snoopy1107
    snoopy1107 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am gonna make healthy alternatives. I usually make the desserts. So my plan is to make pumpkin muffins. Im gonna try to find some other healthy options to offer my family.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I'm not thinking of replacing foods perse, so much as just having what it is that I want in moderation and just cutting down/out the things that I really only eat because they are- like chips. I plan to enjoy the food my family makes but I don't really think of any of the food as unhealthy, just the portions.

What I REALLY need to watch out for is all the going out I do when I go home for Chrismas. It's usually been months since I've seen friends or family, and we often go out to eat or get takeout on a regular basis. That's going to be where I look for healthier swaps.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not going to pig out per se, but I don't believe in depriving myself of anything I enjoy. Everything in moderation is really the key. I hardly ever eat out and don't do "cheat days" so I think that enjoying myself (and family/food) on Thanksgiving and Christmas is more than okay. I also am running in an 5 mile race on Thanksgiving morning, so I will have some extra cals to work with. Just drink water and have a little bit of everything.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on treating the holidays like any other day.
    When I eat high fat, rich foods, my body doesn't like me.
    I figure just do normal portion size and only eat what I would normally eat on a regular day.
    I might have a small piece of dessert, but I don't plan on going over board.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat everything but portion control will be key. A bite or two of fattening foods and load up on lean protein and veggies!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I will eat my usual. It's just my husband and daughter with me. Some turkey, cranberry, mashed taters, green bean casserole. And some little sides. 1 piece of pumpkin pie. Portion control is key and work out in the morning before you start anything. Even throw in an extra workout if you want. Make sure you eat throughout the day still otherwise at dinner time you WILL harf everything down from being hungry.
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm doing this while living life....I am not going to totally deprive myself while everyone else is eating all the other stuff! I know in my head I will probably be thinking about how long I will have to work out to get rid of it, so I won't eat as much, but absolutely I will be having some!
    To make a lifestyle change, you need to be able to live with it for life! So, I will have some, be careful and work it off later!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Just like it should be everyday. PORTION CONTROL.
  • specialk1177
    specialk1177 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great points & feedback everyone, thanks!! Portion control will definitely be key & luckily I'm making Thanksgiving this year & only for myself & one other person so there won't be as much food to choose from as there would had I been going to my huge family dinner (where I must taste everything, even all 5 desserts). I've already decided that I'm going to buy individual desserts because if I make a whole pumpkin pie I will eat that whole pie over the course of the long weekend & that isn't an option.

I just need to remind myself to eat before I start cooking because if not I'll be nibbling everything as I'm making it...either that or I need to order all of the sides from somewhere & just heat them when it's time to eat so the smell of everything cooking doesn't me hungry.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    This is my first time being on a "diet" during Thanksgiving so I decided that I'm still going to eat the foods that make Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving, but a major problem I normally have is portion sizes. I will load up my plate and get seconds and desserts and then we eat the leftovers all week. So I'm just going to eat very small portions of everything and limit to one plate. Then maybe a SMALL piece of the healthiest dessert there is in the evening when i would usually eat again. and then go back to my normal eating habits the next day and let the rest of the family take the leftovers. :( thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of year...it will be hard.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i usually take an itty bitty piece of turkey and load up on stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce, fitting in a bit of green veggie if room on my plate allows. Oh yeah, and the rolls too ;) This year i plan to take more turkey (white meat) than usual, will have a smaller portion of stuffing/gravy and will do baked sweets instead of brown sugar/butter ones (oh dear God they are good!). Will allow myself the cranberry sauce and all the green beans and salad i want. Will skip the rolls because honestly, they arent that good (dont tell my mom! lol!)

I will be bringing Laughing Cow wedges and water crackers to share as well as the traditional cheddar and triscuit type thing as well as a good veggie tray for appetizers.

Pumpkin pie? Yep. its gonna happen. Probably twice ;) hehe

Extra workouts and being super careful the days leading up to the holiday and jumping IMMEDIATELY back on the wagon are my plans for keeping myself in line ;)