1750 maintenance for 4'11" and 110lbs?

Options
Hello! I started using mfp 3 months ago to maintain the weight I lost when I started exercising on a regular basis. Previous stats were 4'11" and 135lbs. My diet is pretty good (this week excluded!) with almost no processed foods and I seem to get close to my macros on most days. I do eat chocolate daily. :)

MFP set my maintenance at 1530 based on lightly active at a weight of 120. That was 3 months ago. I have lost 10 pounds since then. I wasn't looking to lose those pounds but I'm fine with it. I don't want to lose any more, however. I think that the problem is I'm not lightly active. I might be active. I have two young children and I work at a school during the day so I basically never sit down. From 6:00am to 7:00pm I probably sit for 2 hours total if that.

I work out 3-6 days a week depending on how busy I am. I usually run at least 2 times a week (2-3 9 minute miles) and do some videos (30 day shred usually) several days a week. I eat back some of my calories most days but weekly I still seem to be under my mfp recommendation by 1000-1250 calories. So if my math is right and I lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks with that kind of deficit then the 1750 that MFP estimates for maintenance at 'active' should be about right? Does that seem accurate to those of you with more experience?

Also if my goal is to maintain my current weight and just get stronger/ more fit should I focus on strength training? Any recs for things I can do at home? I do cardio for the stress relieving properties so I'll probably never cut that out but I'm wondering if my focus should shift to strength.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've found these forums so helpful the last few months!

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    So if my math is right and I lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks with that kind of deficit then the 1750 that MFP estimates for maintenance at 'active' should be about right? Does that seem accurate to those of you with more experience?

Also if my goal is to maintain my current weight and just get stronger/ more fit should I focus on strength training? Any recs for things I can do at home? I do cardio for the stress relieving properties so I'll probably never cut that out but I'm wondering if my focus should shift to strength.

That math makes sense to me, and YES, start strength training now!! You will love it!!!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Mathematically, you would still be in a calorie deficit based on what you reported. You're only upping your calories a couple hundred a day, or about 1400 per week. Your actual activity suggests a deficit of 3500 per week if you're losing a pound a week. So you'll still be under by 2100 per week or 300 per day on average. That being said, you can try 1750 a day and see what happens for a couple of weeks. If you're still going down, add another 150 calories per day. Repeat until you find your sweet spot. Best wishes for success!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Couple of things...

1 - with MFP, exercise is add'l activity. When you set your activity level to "light active" that is only for your day to day hum drum. MFP only gives you credit for exercise once you've done it and logged it...then it gives you more calories to eat. If you weren't eating back exercise calories that would explain why you kept losing weight.

2 - You should absolutely be strength training. Really, your fitness goals in general should be independent of your weight goals. You can use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Any good fitness regimen is going to involve both strength training as well as cardiovascular fitness and endurance training.

3 - TDEE may be a better approach for you than the MFP method of net calories and eating back exercise calories, etc. MFP's method is great for people who are inconsistent in their workout routine or people who are just getting started on their fitness. TDEE is a much better approach if you have a pretty consistent routine. There are numerous TDEE calculators out there but I use the scooby calculator...

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The TDEE method takes into account all of your activity, including exercise. I use TDEE and just customize my goals in MFP
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Hello! I started using mfp 3 months ago to maintain the weight I lost when I started exercising on a regular basis. Previous stats were 4'11" and 135lbs. My diet is pretty good (this week excluded!) with almost no processed foods and I seem to get close to my macros on most days. I do eat chocolate daily. :)

MFP set my maintenance at 1530 based on lightly active at a weight of 120. That was 3 months ago. I have lost 10 pounds since then. I wasn't looking to lose those pounds but I'm fine with it. I don't want to lose any more, however. I think that the problem is I'm not lightly active. I might be active. I have two young children and I work at a school during the day so I basically never sit down. From 6:00am to 7:00pm I probably sit for 2 hours total if that.

I work out 3-6 days a week depending on how busy I am. I usually run at least 2 times a week (2-3 9 minute miles) and do some videos (30 day shred usually) several days a week. I eat back some of my calories most days but weekly I still seem to be under my mfp recommendation by 1000-1250 calories. So if my math is right and I lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks with that kind of deficit then the 1750 that MFP estimates for maintenance at 'active' should be about right? Does that seem accurate to those of you with more experience?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've found these forums so helpful the last few months!

So, your ACTUAL deficit was 3500 calories a week which is 2250-2500 more than what you were estimating. That's 321-357 a day, let's say 325 for simplicity. 1530 + 325 = 1875 calories to maintain. That sounds about right based on your activity level--when I was about that size I was maintaining on a smidge over 2000 with slightly more exercise.

Strength training would be a wonderful addition to your fitness regimen but it's difficult to progress at home without equipment. Do you have weights available?
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I have found on my own that adding calisthenics to my daily routine has really built my strength. I was walking very regularly and started a 90 day challenge of push-ups & planking in October. Along the way, I've added squats, pelvic lifts, leg lifts, and will add some more gradually. I am still losing, and actually my cardio has slacked off since winter hit and with the busy-ness of the holiday season, but I do intend to get back on the elliptical once things slow down again in a week or so. But I have been pleasantly surprised that I can build strength slowly (probably not fast enough for most people) at home without fancy equipment (I will eventually add light weights). I just google the different exercises before I start them to make sure I'm doing them correctly to avoid injury or bad habits. Congrats on the goal-reaching and reaching maintenance!
  • Chicharone
    Options
    [/quote] So, your ACTUAL deficit was 3500 calories a week which is 2250-2500 more than what you were estimating. That's 321-357 a day, let's say 325 for simplicity. 1530 + 325 = 1875 calories to maintain. That sounds about right based on your activity level--when I was about that size I was maintaining on a smidge over 2000 with slightly more exercise.

Strength training would be a wonderful addition to your fitness regimen but it's difficult to progress at home without equipment. Do you have weights available?
    [/quote]

I do have hand weights but that's all and no room for big equipment here. I'll look into strength training at home. I think that I might enjoy it!