Calories for a Moderately Active 320 lb Man?

Options
Hi everyone,

I think this is my first post in the MFP forums, but have been using this app for quite some time. I have a huge question regarding caloric intake that I really need answered and I hope some of you may have some insight regarding this.

How many calories do I need?
Weight: 320
Height: 6' 0"
Activity level: workout 3-4 times per week. Generally 20 - 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes of strength training that changes weekly. I just started the Couch to 5K program as well to hopefully run a 5k in the next few months. I have a desk job.

The reason I am asking, is I have seen posts (and calculators) anywhere from 1800 to 3200 calories. That is a VERY large gap. I have tried 1800 calories before and I was starving all the time as well as not losing weight whatsoever. I also tried 2200 calories but only lost a half pound per week (give or take) but not consistently.

Thank you for all the help!!!

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Your BMR alone is 2448, which should really be your minimum intake. Your TDEE is 3365 calories. It depends on how much of a deficit you want to eat. -15% deficit would leave your daily amount of calories at 2860 with working out 3 times a week.
  • toonafeesh
    toonafeesh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you refinedredbird! That helps quite a bit. I always thought I hadn't been eating enough, but with so many "resources" out there, I wasn't sure.

Using the MFP calculator, it had me at about 2000 per day. I will start out at 2500 or so and refine it from there.

Thanks again for the help!

I do have another question. How often should I revisit/change my calorie intake level? Should I be doing this every 10 lbs or so or more frequently?
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If you stick to a steady plan you will notice your weight will start shedding off quickly at first. You may need to adjust your numbers accordingly. It is really just trial and error.
  • toonafeesh
    toonafeesh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is what I was afraid of, but unfortunately I knew the answer. Thanks!