Not losing weight

Options
I used to be able to lose 1-2 pounds a week when I used to diet before, but then I stopped for a few months. Now I've been trying to get back into my weight loss and I've lost only around 8 pounds in around three months. I don't understand why I am not losing weight as I was before? I barely eat and when I do eat, I work out to even out my calories. I need help - what should I do? What am I doing wrong this time around? I used to be 156 pounds in the Summer (August of this year) and I checked on my weight machine earlier this week and saw that I was 148. I've only lost 8 pounds and I've been dieting for so long now. I feel like crying what should I do?? I want to be around 110 pounds but I feel like giving up now because I'm only losing like 2 pounds a month and working so hard. I feel gross and I feel like giving up- please help.

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and provide additional details (height, age, gender) if you would like some advice. As you get closer to your healthy weight, loss slows down, and a half pound a week is a pretty healthy way to go.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    try eating at least 1200 calorie and adding back some on exercise days too. you're making weight loss a lot harder than it needs to be by under eating. increase your calories a little, you'll have more energy and likely burn more throughout the day as well as feel a lot better!
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You're probably plateauing. Generally speaking, the more you have to lose, the easier it is to lose. If you're getting close to your ideal/goal weight, yes, it gets harder. Also, I've noticed that can be a pattern regardless- if you've been losing weight for a while, your body may be adjusting to the new metabolism, so it slows for a while..and then you can start losing again after a month or so of that.

To that end, I might suggest being a bit easier on yourself, perhaps shift to maintenance goals for a few weeks instead of dieting. It will make the reduction in calories that much more effective when you get back to it.

The other thing I used to be told a lot when I plateaued was that I was cutting calories TOO much, which would then send my body into starvation mode. Which also lends to shifting back to maintenance intake for a while.

Don't be discouraged. I've NEVER been able to lose 1-2 pounds a week, so you've had some pretty fantastic results, considering! Just shift your expectations. I'm lucky to lose a pound every two weeks, if that (sometimes it doesn't show for 3 weeks, depending on how my cycle is playing out and if I'm eating bloaty foods).