RUNNERS!

ATT: Runners! I have started C25K and my goal this year is to run my first 5K! I am new to this world though and have been wondering some things...
1. What are the best shoes under $100 to run in? I have New Balances and my feet hurt so bad afterwards!
2. Do you drink water or a sports drink during your run?
3. How long did it take you before you were ready to run your first 5k?
4. Any other advice on starting out?
5. Good things to eat before and after runs?
6. Whats best, Treadmill or outside?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    I have come to enjoy running quite a bit over the last few months! It took me about two months of walk/jog on a treadmill 4 or 5 days a week for 45 minutes or so to be able to jog (without stopping to walk) a 5k which I can do in about 34 minutes. I haven't been able to run more than about 3.5 miles without stopping to walk yet though. My progress seems to have slowed after I achieved the 5k without walking. I struggled with shin splints when I first started running and I thought shoes had something to do with it. For me, shoes weren't the issue. the issue was tight calves. So, remember to stretch your calves (and the rest of you) really really well after each run and I'd say even a few times during the rest of the day. Once I started focusing on stretching my calves my shin splits disappeared. I got my gait analyzed at a specialty running store and they recommended Asics for me. Not sure what the style is. I have also had great luck with Saucony. When it comes down to it, I think for novice runners, the finer details of the shoe has fairly miniscule importance as long as it is a basically supportive and good quality shoe. My experience with running outside is fairly limited due to the time of year, but I have run on trails and pavement. I enjoy both, but I actually enjoy the treadmill as well. I drink water during my run. I have some caffeine before my run but I generally run on an pretty empty stomach- I think it's just personal preference! Have so much fun with your running!
  • thoma450
    thoma450 Posts: 11 Member
    1. Check out Brooks running shoes -- I've used them for years!
    2. Water
    3. Took me about a month, but it depends on what other workouts you have been doing
    4. Listen to your body -- don't do too much, too fast. You'll burn out and be more prone to injuries. Also, don't pay attention too much to your iPod (I've seen people put more effort into looking for a song rather than actually running!) Some other things that helped me were running for time instead of mileage, and vice versa.
    5. Run outside as much as possible to get your body used to the impact. Treadmills are a last resort!!!
  • Thats some great advice guys! Do all running stores measure your gait? And also, I started running a trail over summer and it was gravel... scared me to death! I am looking for indoor places that have tracks since its so darn cold outside. Another question... anyone use preworkout formulas?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    1. What are the best shoes under $100 to run in? I have New Balances and my feet hurt so bad afterwards!
    My shoes aren't fancy - I think they might be New Balances too so I'm no help there.
    Water - or just chew gum.
    I took forever to actually complete C25K - started and stopped a few times, but I did a race around the same time I finished it.
    Run slow - work up to the speed.
    For a 5k I don't do anything special
    Outside - that's where your races will be. But I mostly do the treadmill in all honesty - especially now since it is winter.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    ATT: Runners! I have started C25K and my goal this year is to run my first 5K! I am new to this world though and have been wondering some things...

Thanks everyone!

1. Shoes are very individual. There is no "best" shoe. All the brands are fairly comparable and offer different types of shoes. My suggestion would be to get fitted for shoes at a running store, not a regular sports store. If you find a pair that you like but are too expensive, try finding last year's model online. That usually saves money.

2. You do not need a sports drink until you are going for more than an hour ( some say even longer). Drink you water normally and you should be fine. Again, I don't even consider taking water on a run unless its over an hour. You really don't need it. Some people prefer it, but it isn't a "need".

3. I ran a half marathon before I ran my first 5k. I do coach a learn to run program and at the end of the 10 weeks, most of the participants run a 5k (some walk/run). You are ready whenever you feel you are.

4. Just keep at it. Slow is the key at first.

5. Again, its personal. Some people can eat and go right out the door, others can't eat for 3 hours before. I have found a few energy bars that my stomach can handle within an hour. I only eat because I am hungry (like if I am running after work and need something to hold me over to supper). Bananas, apples and peanut butter toast are other things I handle well in shorter time frames before running. Its a trial and error thing. Eating afterwards - not as important. Unless you are a high level athlete, your regular eating will be enough to fuel and recover from your runs.

6. for me, hands down outside. People often find the transition from treadmill to the road harder. If your goal is to run a race, train outside as much as you can. There are people who have trained exclusively on the treadmill, but I can't imagine how hard it must be. I prefer outside.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Thats some great advice guys! Do all running stores measure your gait? And also, I started running a trail over summer and it was gravel... scared me to death! I am looking for indoor places that have tracks since its so darn cold outside. Another question... anyone use preworkout formulas?

Not sure if all would but I am guessing any running store that sells sneakers will.

I would not recommend a pre workout formula. Most are just caffeine. Have a cup of coffee. Its cheaper. Anything else in it will not affect your performance.
  • sulyha
    sulyha Posts: 119 Member
    Hi there,
    I have been running for about 2.5 years now after doing C25K. When I started that I was a complete non-runner. I did my first half-marathon after about a year of starting running. As far as your questions:

I took advice from a friend and went to a specialty running store to be fit for shoes. They considered not only the shape and size of my foot, but also whether I pronated and had me run a treadmill to see what would be best. Shoes usually run $110-150, but I think, but it's worth it because I have had NO pain and didn't have to "break in" my shoes.Since then I have tried tp buy one pair on my own (didn't work... had pain) and so went back to the running store for all my shoes since. I buy bargain running clothing, but I think it is good to splurge on shoes. Also, most specialty running stores have good return policies if the shoes don't work out ffor you.

I drink a little before and a lot after. I do bring a water bottle for the treadmill, but not for outdoors. I will bring water for outdoor runs longer than 7-8 miles.

about 2-3 months to run 5k without walking breaks.

Don't be in a rush to get faster or increase distance. Structured programs like c25K and "bridge to 10K" were fantastic for me. Also, don't be discouraged if you have to repeat a week or two in a program, just keep plugging away and you will improve.

I drink a protein drink with peanut butter mixed in after a long run. I don't eat much before a run.

They both have their benefits: Where I live outdoor running in the winter isn't a good option during the week because of such limited daylight and it can be very cold and icy where I live, so for me it is the treadmill or nothing on certain days. Running outdoors is great as long as you are prepared gear-wise and keep safety in mind.

Good luck with your running!
  • I've been running only about 6-7 months. but I'll put my two cents in just because I wish someone had with me when I was starting...

1. Shoes: I use Asics, You can get them for around 100-150. I honestly think they are worth the money. I started running with just my regular everyday kind of tennis shoe, and that was just bad, very very bad. My feet were a mess, and I was starting to get shin splints and was just begging for other issues to start. I did a lot of research and when to a shoe store and got fitted and everything... I tried on at least a dozen shoes, and the Asics were just the ones that felt the best. Since I've started using them I've had zero shoe related running issues.... I love them.

2. Drink: water, I'll also chew gum or have a cough drop. I don't really drink much water during my runs because it doesn't setting well with me (its the whole sloshing/moving in my stomach thing), but after I run I always drink TONS of water.

3. first 5k: I haven't done mine yet, I've signed up for my first one in April. So I'm no help there

4. Advice: Listen to your body, learn the difference between hurt and sore. A run is a run, doesn't matter how fast or slow or how long or short it was, you did it and that's what matters.

5. Food: I'll have a snack not a meal. Normally I do bananas and/or granola bars (sometimes both). I get horrible leg cramps at night sometimes, so I started eating bananas regularly (every time I run or workout), and they have pretty much stopped. I try not to eat right after a run, I like to cool down, relax, shower, and what not, then I'll eat like an 30-60 mins after. And I don't really anything special after (maybe another banana lol).

6. Treadmill or outside: There's pros and cons to both... I treadmill out of convince. I go to the gym and everything is there. Treadmill is easier on impact, and you can set a pace supper easy. I'm starting to run outside (hence the 5k in April) and I'm having a hard time. There's a huge difference.... Impact, air (yes air), weather, etc... I can do a 5k on the treadmill but not outside... Im working on that part. The impact seems to be harder on my body in general. The air is much different than in a gym setting, so it's harder to breathe (I think this is the biggest issue for me, the cold dry air hurts). And of course weather issues, but the actual weather isn't really an issue to me, I just dress accordingly. But honestly running outside is more rewarding, there's just this feeling from running outside that I get that I don't get from the treadmill.

I hope that helps some even though I don't have that much experience, that's just my own trial and error advice.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member

Thanks everyone!

1) I spend about 120 dollars a pair for running shoes. I've gone to a proper running store, had them evaluate my gait and how my feet fall and then they have me try on a few different ones. The key is that it's a running specialty store and not something like foot locker. Get proper footware and dont skimp, bad shoes will really hurt your feet.

2) I take propel zero on longer runs or hotter runs, I drink somewhere between 7 and 14oz. Sometimes I take plain old water and if I'm at the gym it's water.

3) About 5 months and I didn't know about anything like C25K so it was all trial and error for me.

4) Stick with C25K, get fitted for shoes, dont even think about speed, that will come with time, take it slow and after you finish C25K only add about 10% distance per week at most...

5) I try not to eat sooner than 2 hours before a run. If it's a morning run then I just have a banana or a couple dates and then have a proper breakfast after my run. After a run Chocolate Milk (seriously), Bananas, maybe a bagel..

6) I perfer outside. I'll run in the rain, I'll run in the dark, I'll run in the cold, I'll run in the heat. Right now it's ice and black ice that is sending me to the gym for the treadmils. I started out on them but I find I really would rather run outside. I am male and don't worry about running alone at night, it's a concern for some women in some areas. If you don't feel safe because of the time or the area then the treadmil will have to do.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    I won't add much since its been covered. except get too a running store and find your best shoe. hi slow even if it feels like you could do more. run outside. that's where the race will be so get used to it from the start.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Gait analysis, gait analysis, gait analysis.

In the couch to 5K you won't be doing high mileage, so you should be fine with just water. Figure out what works for you as far eating pre-run, but again, it's low mileage, so it's not critical.

Go slow, and have fun.

Get a heart rate monitor if you can afford one, and use it. Train smarter, not harder.

If you plan on running hard during your race, you will want to do the majority of your training on the same terrain as the race. Treadmill is great for some of the time, but get out on the road at least once a week let your muscles and joints harden. Don't run on concrete. EVER.

:smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    ^^THIS^^ GAIT ANALYSIS

When you find the shoe that works for you, stick with them. For me, it's Brooks minimalist shoes. I had 2 pair and then tried something else. And then promptly bought another pair of Brooks.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    have you done professional gait analysis
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    1. That's like asking what the best type of haircut is. It's all dependent on you. A decent running shop should be able to analyse your foot shape and running style to recommend the best type.

2. Personally, no. Not for a 5k.

3. Straight away. Only 3 and a bit miles. That's my perception anyway. I went up to a BMI of around 28.5 and I never had a problem with it.

5. Carbs. Pasta, pizza and the like

6. Outside. It doesn't do some of the work for you and doesn't charge you hundreds for the privilege
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    The only thing I have to add is BE SURE TO STRETCH PROPERLY!!

Most people think you can just jump up and go, but it's really important that your muscles are ready to go!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    The only thing I have to add is BE SURE TO STRETCH PROPERLY!!

Most people think you can just jump up and go, but it's really important that your muscles are ready to go!

If you need to stretch, warm up first. Or stretch after your run. Best not to stretch cold muscles.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member

Thanks everyone!

1. Try http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp to find the shoe that is best for you. An easy way to find arch type is to step on a wet cloth (barefoot, of course) then step on paper. Outline the wet footprint with a sharpie to keep and take to the shoe store. Shoe Dog will walk you through the steps to find brands/model shoes that meet your foot type and training.
    2. I drink sports drinks during long runs (over 8 miles), but you probably won't need any for 5K training, unless you run in the heat of Summer.
    3. I would run 1 to 3 miles whenever I'd workout, so no time at all. If you are worried about an actual 5K race, don't focus on your time at all. Concentrate on finishing the race and soaking up the atmosphere. Once you have that first race under your belt, you can focus on improving your time.
    4. My advice is to make sure you have the right gear. Wicking shirts, compression shirts for colder weather, running socks that are comfortable are all important.
    5. Unless you are running long distances (half marathons, etc) carbing up the night prior is not important. A 5K race will burn about 400-500 calories depending on your size, which your body will have enough glycogen to handle without the aid of a large pasta meal the night prior. A banana with a cup of oatmeal about 90 minutes prior will be all you need.
    6. Treadmills are great if the weather is horrible, but outside is best (in my opinion). I get bored staring at the wall or television when I am on a treadmill. Plus, you will need to get acclimated to running in all weather and temperatures, otherwise on race day you may be tempted to not begin if it is raining or too cold. Training in all weather means you wll be mentally prepared for anything.

Good luck on your training and I hope your first 5K is a blast!

Mike
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    I'm running 10km twice a week and I've registered for a half marathon at the end of March.

What would be the best training routine to increase my distance between now and March?
  • 3dogsrunning
    I'm running 10km twice a week and I've registered for a half marathon at the end of March.

What would be the best training routine to increase my distance between now and March?

Generally the rule of thumb is to increase your long run (one per week) by around 10%. Every 4th week, you cut back on the distance of the run for a recover week.
    So for your next long run, you would run 11, the next 12, the next 13 then drop back to maybe 8 or 9. (some people might up by 2k each week).
    There are tons of online training plans. Hal Higdon's are pretty popular.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member

Thanks everyone!

1. Never judge a shoe by the price. Judge it by if it is for your foot. Go to a running store and get properly fitted. The shoes might end up being $100, $110 or even $120...but would you rather spend $120 on shoes, or $500+ on medical bills? Improper footware is one of the top reasons beginner runners end up injured.

2. Water, until I got up to over 60 minutes in my long runs. You don't really need the electrolytes until you start getting into longer runs, your normal every day diet will provide you with enough.

3. 9 weeks...was ready by the end of C25K.

4. Go slow, find a running group, and join the running club in your town. Even if you prefer to run alone...as they have lots of knowledge on the best stores, the best PTs should you get injured, and sometimes you can get discounts on races. And trust the C25K program. It will get scary that last few weeks, but trust it. Invest in a foam roller and use it! DO NOT USE COTTON ANYTHING. Especially not cotton socks. You want water wickering materials, and cotton doesn't do that. Same with your shrit and shorts (or tights). Invest in some good running gear that is water wickering but will keep you warm. Layer during the cold. There is a guide on Runner's World that will help you with this. If you need to repeat a week in C25K, the do so. But at the same time don't be scared...the C25K will challenge you. Learn your body. If you are running and a pain or an ache creeps up, then study it. If it gets worse as the run goes on then stop. Allow your body to heal. The first few weeks might end up feeling really easy....but I recommend not doing more running that the program says. If you feel you want to do more then do some form of crosstraining, such as walking or riding a bike. Something low impact. Don't see the rest days as rest days...they are recovery days, they are there to allow your body to recover from what you did, don't ignore them. Stay hydrated....you can use your body to make sure you are staying hydrated for your runs. Lgiht yellow pee, stuff like that. Another trick is measure yourself before and then after your run. For every lb lost you should drink 16oz of water to recover the fluid lost. Eventually you will find your individual trend and will know how much to drink without having to do this.

5. This is something you will have to play with. What people eat before and after runs is as individtual as the person's running form. What I eat might not work for you, and what you eat might mess up my GI. For the shorter runs though, you can get by with minimal things...maybe half a banana or a few orange wedges. Water through...I would recommend drinking a glass of water if you didn't drink during your run.

6. If you plan on running 5Ks, then train outside. Treadmills are great for foul weather. I use them once a week because one of my weight lifting days falls on top of my half marathon training now, so I end up doing a 3 mile run after. But stick to outside right now if you can. DO NOT train for the 5k on the treadmill with out having run outside. Your legs need time to adjust to new terrains, just as they need time to adjust to running period. And you will hear, "adjust it up 1% or 2% etc..." but that still will not account for terrain difference. All the elevation increase does is mimick wind resistance. Allow your legs to adjust to the terrain you will be running on. If weather becomes a concern, and you need to bring it inside then fine. But try to get at least one or two days outside, so that your legs can adjust to the new terrain.