Insanity May Kill Me !!

Options
So !! My New Years Resolution was to start Insanity by Shaun T !! I bought it for myself for Christmas ! So since I had it I figured why not start it today on Boxing Day !! I made it through the first 10 minutes and realized I may have bought death in a box. Anyone have the same experience ?? Will it get easier ?? I am going to continue to do it everyday until I can at least make it through the first DVD, but I honestly don't think I should push myself any harder for today. My body feels like it got run over by a bus !! I am not a quitter though so I don't plan on giving up on this, but I do feel defeated that I can't finish it today !! Kind of brings me down a bit. I was doing Cardio Kickboxing with Chris Fregtay and did find it hard at first, but after awhile adjusted. Advice ? Criticism ? Tips ? Personal Experience ? Anything will help !!

Replies

• alhumphreys
    alhumphreys Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    AND .... what do you record Insanity under for exercise ??
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    What a great present to yourself!

Insanity is definitely a tough program, but I find it worth the pain. I wouldn't stay on the same workout every day - go through the workouts as laid out in the schedule. The idea isn't necessarily that you are able to do all the exercises for the full time every day, but that you get up each day and hit 'play.' If you give your all (with GOOD FORM!) every day, your strength and endurance WILL improve.

Don't hit pause or stop the video early - just do what you can! (If you watch, even the fitness professionals in the video take breaks!!) Eventually you'll find yourself needing fewer breaks and even competing with various members in the video! I have friends that couldn't make it through the warm-up without stopping for the first several weeks. Eventually they were doing whole workouts at a much higher fitness level than they ever would have believed!! Like I said - the first step is to get up every day and hit 'play!'

There are several Insanity groups established here on MFP. It's helpful to have somewhere to turn for support to keep you accountable and a dedicated group understands your specific gripes and successes!

I just added a cardio activity for each of the workouts and estimate the calories burned based on what I know about my body / the time of the video. I really need to get a good heart rate monitor to get a better estimate of calorie burn!

Good luck & hang in there! It DOES get better!!
  • angiedeborja
    angiedeborja Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with alikonda. Do what you can. Do not press pause. Jump back in when you need to, and make it low impact if you need to. Definitely follow the workout calendar and take before pics, photos, and measurements. It really doesnt matter whatfitness level you are.Insanity is always a killer but that is why it works so well! Good luck you will do great!
  • Mascoll27
    Options
    Hi I'm new here and making my first comment, I have also treated myself to the insanity workout for Christmas not yet started though, I'm not really sure if its for me. I'm not concerned about the level of exercise and yes I understand its for fitness more than looking good but I'm going to be honest. I'm going visit my boyfriend in USA who had to move due to work and since he left I have gained so much weight. I need to loose 7 stone to get to a healthy weight for my body height. I'm 5'7 and 16st 13lb the heaviest I have ever been!! I'm distraught! I'm leaving 4th April for 2 weeks to visit him and I know its not realistic to loose that much weight unless I have lipo lol. But do you guys think insanity can help me get started and at least look and feel better about myself?

I understand I probably wont loose many pounds but hopefully inches and tone up my flabby belly and thighs. I love exercise so I'm not concerned about how intense it is, the more sweat the better I find the nutrition guide a bit of a boggle as well. Much help needed thanks.. :-)
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I bought it too and my hubby and I are going to try it, we watched the fit test and I don't think I will be able to do it but we are going to try????
  • alhumphreys
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for the advice and support !!! I am not a quitter so I will make this happen !!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and an even better New Year !!
  • alhumphreys
    Options
    Just thought I would give a little update on my Insanity workout tonight. I did the same video again because I didn't finish it last night. Tonight my goal was to finish the video so I decided I would stay at a comfortable pace for me. I also changed a few exercises that I found very difficult to low impact. So I am actually proud of myself. I finished the whole video and I feel great !!

Thanks all !!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing the video! I personally love insanity. Just keep going at your own pace, but remember to push yourself. You will get with the program in no time.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Great job getting through the workout!

For all the people who were asking about what to expect -- I haven't found that I lose many pounds doing this workout, but my strength and endurance improve immensely. (And once I get into Month 2, I really like the changes I see in the mirror!!) It's like they say - weight loss will come from your diet (which I don't watch very carefully) and shape comes from the workout!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would give a little update on my Insanity workout tonight. I did the same video again because I didn't finish it last night. Tonight my goal was to finish the video so I decided I would stay at a comfortable pace for me. I also changed a few exercises that I found very difficult to low impact. So I am actually proud of myself. I finished the whole video and I feel great !!

Thanks all !!

Great job! I did Insanity earlier this year and loved/hated it lol. The workouts are challenging and even at the end it was still necessary for me to take breaks. And like mentioned above, even the pros take breaks, so there's no reason to feel bad about taking a minute (or two or five) to catch your breath. :laugh: Give it a real try and I think you'll be happy with your results. I didn't lose weight (I also didn't really watch my nutrition though), but my endurance was at it's best.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X but have not done Insanity yet. I did to the first pre-start up workout dvd. That was MONTHS ago and the DVDs have been sitting on my desk ever since.

You are not alone! I'm going to give it a shot myself starting tomorrow. Thanks!
  • karenai
    Options
    Hey there everyone,I am quite new here. Started insanity since 5th November this year and now am on my second month for the insanity programme. Had to skipped few days when I was being too busy....today will be day 4 of the 2nd month.I actually tried insanity last year but flunked out on the 2nd month.This year I am going to try stay committed,so just looking for support group.I don't really have much weight loss up to date but my body really toned up great and i have better endurance..one thing i realize is that my body stays sore for quite long even for starting of second month training and there are workouts that i can't even do..such as the push-up balance. Fingers crossed that i will be able to finish the 2nd month this time around....:)
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It defo gets easier each time do a video, then harder again each time you face a new one. Haha. But the good thing is, after. The first few times, you know you can make it to the end, so you know you can keep going.

I wear a heart rate monitor and log it using that.

I'm going to be starting again next week if anyone wants to add me for mutual support!
  • angiedeborja
    Options
    Al, great job on finishing! I did the full Insanity program last year. My core got soo much stronger. And I had a lot more tone, which is what I was looking for. If your food intake is clean and you stick with the calendar, and modify as needed, you will definitely lose the weight!

By the way, hello to all the new people on the thread as well - jelly, karen, Myxa, Shiba, Mascol, suezy, cyclerjenn I'm fairly new to MFP so I want to try and stay connected myself.
  • alhumphreys
    Options
    Thanks guys !! I am hoping it makes a difference. I just did Cardio Recovery today and even the stretches are tough !! My poor calves have never felt so sore !! lol
  • angiedeborja
    Options
    Way to go Al! Keep it up!
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    I love Insanity i'm starting back tomorrow morning. I completed my 60 days.Feel free to add me any of you and remember DIG DEEPER!!!!
  • Furtis17
    Options
    I also got Insanity for Christmas and I am going to start tomorrow. I am a bit overweight and out of shape. I'm hoping, even if I don't lose weight, I can lose a good amount of fat and start to look more toned :)
  • Mascoll27
    Options
    Hi Ladies and Gents, I'm looking to start insanity tomorrow been so busy since Christmas, I'm really hoping to get body fit, I don't mind not losing weight as long as I'm losing inches and toning up, I'm quite over weight (like 7st over weight).

Do you think this programme will help me get body ready for the beach? lol

Also if anyone could confirm the calorie amount to me I would be grateful only it seems a really high amount. 2,670 cal?
    I'm 5'7, 27 years old and 235lbs :-(
  • lilsbgirl
    lilsbgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was curious too how to add it in, how you figure out the calories burned? I am just started it and it's kicking my bioty, and decided to use mfp again for accountability.