Top reasons for weight loss success

Options
2»

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Never give up!!! Everyone has moments when they want to throw in the towel wether it be because they aren't loosing fast enough or they had a bad food day and think it isn't worth it to keep trying. The only real difference between those who succeed and those who don't is that those who do keep trying. If you aren't loosing you have to take a serious look at what you are doing and what you can change to see results.

Definitely this! Eating a pizza will not ruin it, but thinking you've wrecked that day so you may as well have dessert as well and then give up will.

Planning - have some 'healthy meals' always in stock, We do a big prep every few weeks - lots of ragu and chilli to freeze, and I have some wholemeal bread in the freezer (Beans on toast in always good ).

If you are doing exercise treat it like a job - unless you don't turn up for work because you can't be bothered! Often I feel I don't want to go to the gym, but I know it will be fine when I get there. If I am struggling to motivate myself I go to a class so I have a time to aim for and can't keep putting it off.
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For me remembering that a lapse and a relapse are NOT the same thing has been my most important mantra. There are of course all the sensible things like logging all my food and calories in vs. calories out but for me it is all in the mindset. If I start to feel guilt or shame about having a slice of this or a bit of that it would be bye bye weight loss. Celebrate success and don't berate yourself for being human, but every next meal or day strive to be a bit better than the last.

also known as: just keep swimming!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It really is as simple as calories in versus calories used.

If you are honest with yourself, weigh (no guessing) and log everything, you'll get there.
  • Gilla22
    Options
    bump
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Knowing yourself. Know what your limitations are and work with them. If you can't cope with a 500 cal deficit but can stick 350, then work with that and you will sustain it longer. If certain foods trigger binges just avoid them. If you can't function without ice cream/chocolate/chips/pizza etc then factor it into your diet to stop you getting bored. If you need a radical change make it, if a radical change puts you off then don't. Eat under maintenance and other than that do what works for you in the short and medium term at least.
  • drmonica3
    drmonica3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Especially lots of protein ( I aim for 100 gm/day), water, and count those carbs! I think keeping carbs below 100 grams a day has had such a good impact for me. Eat as much fish as you can!! Never breaded or fried.

I do disagree with how often to weigh yourself, however. I weigh myself EVERY morning, religiously. I look forward to it because it validates all the hard work. Yes, I am aware of the daily fluctuations. But-the 'ups and downs' help keep me on track. When the scale is up a couple of pounds overnight, it helps me to be even more careful for the day. I try not to go out to eat, but when I do I always order salmon and salad and never feel guilty about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - Consistently maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit from maintenance. My goal was not speed...it was having consistent losses and over time, those losses added up to about 40 Lbs.

- Being as accurate as possible with my intake by using a food scale

- Being as accurate as possible with my "burn" from exercise by comparing what I think I burned with a few different sources and using a lot of common sense rather than looking at some data base and assuming that I did indeed burn 900 calories doing 60 minutes of elliptical (yeah right). I usually ate back about 70-80% of whatever my HRM told me I burned for an aerobic event...and usually compared that number to other formulas out there for that activity.

- I didn't cheat my diary....I always logged everything even if it meant that my numbers didn't look good that day. You have to be consistent and honest with yourself.

- I didn't deprive myself and don't at maintenance either. I ate/eat a lot of nutrient dense foods...I generally get 4-6 servings of veg and fruit per day and I eat a lot of chicken, fish, salmon, etc and get my healthy fats from avocado, almonds, avocado and olive oil, etc. But I also indulged in desert and still do pretty much nightly...I just fit it into my calorie and macro goals.

- I don't categorize foods as "good" or "bad"...there are more or less nutrient dense choices you can make but long term success is going to require a healthy relationship with food.
  • Cokebear83
    Cokebear83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The Only person who benefits from tracking everything honestly is yourself!:happy: It's not a quick fix remember this is a life style. There will be times where you think you haven't done well, and thats okay as long as you never give up. switch up your workouts and drink plenty of water. Start loving yourself and taking care of yourself it will all fall into place!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    1. Do it for yourself.
    2. it's easier if the whole family participates in creating new habits (eating well and excercising).
    3. Try not obsessing.
    4. Don't get discouraged.
    5. Walk 10 000 steps everyday - this = 8km or 5 miles.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Could all who have lost weight out there
    please share your top tips for success?

Make the COMMITMENT to do succeed at this and everything else is secondary :smile:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and keeping it off is hard work. You have to believe you are worth the effort!!
  • Nuages
    Nuages Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    These tips are such a gift for Christmas 2013. Thanks, everyone.
  • michaelandrewsII
    Options
    Most importantly ... Make it fun.

- I made my calorie count like a score and it became almost like a game of golf to keep it low.

- Most people wouldn't encourage this, but I weighed in every day. I loved watching my weight drop .2 to .4 lbs per day.

- I fell in love with walking.

- I always keep a future event in the forefront of my mind for which I want to look my best. That keeps me motivated.

- Once I reached my goal. I had to buy all new clothes. I donated ALL of my old clothes to Goodwill, eliminating any opportunity to return back to my old weight without it REALLY costing me.

- Use every "You're losing weight aren't you?" as fuel to keep going.

46096634.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Log everything!! I mean everything, a starlight mint,,,,,Log it! If it goes in your mouth no matter how small!

If estimating a unknown food item figure it on the larger size not under.

Excersise as much as you can helps for those days when you go over! I didn't count every bit of excersize I did in my log either.

I also tried to find low cal foods I could eat a fair amount of to feel full. Especially for snacks.... Baby carrots dipped in something healthy, like hummis,tzatziki sauce etc.

Don't worry about the ups and downs on the scale.... It happens. If you watch the progress chart you will be able to see the general direction you are heading even with ups and downs by a few lbs along the way.

And if we do have a bad day here and there don't fret it....Just climb back on the wagon and you will gain it back. I go fishing every summer, sometimes I gain 10 lbs back!! No big deal just drop my calories back a little and back to where I was before I left after a week or so.

Oh did I mention if it goes in your mouth log it!! :wink:

My pic was before the 80-85 lbs was lost! That is where I have been hanging at depending on the day!
    Mark
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and keeping it off is hard work. You have to believe you are worth the effort!!
    M

This!
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am no where near where I want to be, but my thoughts are, for weight loss success....you have to love yourself and know that you are worth it....and never give up!!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Inertia is a b!tch. Make it YOUR b!tch. Starting is the hardest part. Whether it's changing your diet, committing to exercise, or beginning a single workout - once you get started, it's not so hard. But I f you stop, you have to start over again, and that's harder. So once you get started, don't stop - just keep going. Eventually it will be easier to keep going than it is to stop, because inertia.

Smart and pivotal for my success
  • Cokebear83
    Cokebear83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

205 Pounds lost that is AWESOME way to be dedicated!
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    1. Log your food honestly and accurately.
    2. Don't keep junk food in the house.
    3. Pack a healthy lunch and snacks for when you're at work
    4. Limit eating out
    5. Weigh yourself daily (This isn't for everyone, but it motivates me and helps me to prevent gains)
    6. Don't make foods off-limits. Instead, allow yourself to have treats occasionally, but try to fit them into your calorie goal
    7. Limit sugar and processed foods.
    8. Pay attention to your macros. 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein works well for me .
    9. Veggies are your best friend.
    10. Drink lots of water. Green tea is also great.
    11. "Budget" your calories out across the day, so you don't run out and have none left in the evening.
    12. Get a good 7 or 8 hours of sleep
    13. If you slip up and overeat, just start fresh the next day and go back to staying under your calorie goal.
    14. Make sure your workouts include both cardio and strength training.
    15. Schedule 3 to 5 workouts a week and treat them like a commitment. It helps if you have set days and times you workout, so it just becomes a routine habit.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!