Walking a form of cardio?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    For anyone who thinks walking is not a form of exercise . . .

oxb8cbz

^ this.

every soldier who has ever marched 20 miles is in agreement.

every postal deliveryman who walks his route delivering mail is in agreement.

every cop who walked a beat is in agreement.

etc.

walking is actually one of the best exercises. people can walk longer and further than they can run and they can avoid many of the common injuries that runners face.

one can burn quite a lot of calories on long walks (and hikes).

anybody who makes their living on their feet all day can well attest to how many extra calories they burn.

there is also a 10,000 step movement of people (and doctors and researchers) who believe that walking 10K or more steps a day strongly correlates to longevity and quality of life late into life.

in many ways, walking is the perfect exercise for humans because we have been designed for it.

I like walking, but it's harder on your feet than running is (believe it or not). And I read an interesting article that stated humans are built for running. Large glutes, and large achilles tendons (amongst many other attributes).

I started with walking, but got bored and wanted to get it over with faster. That's when the running came in. :)

Here is the Nature article:

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/krigbaum/proseminar/Bramble_Leib_2004_nature.pdf
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to someone about this. If you're 85, a walk might be a workout. It's all relative. For generally healthy people, walking is light activity, not working out.
    I disagree with this. Sure it's not an intense workout, but it's definitely something and if you keep a fast pace you can burn a decent amount of calories too.

I didn't say it was nothing. I said it's light activity. But, walking is NOT a workout, if you are relatively healthy.

I think that people are missing what you have said, its gone right over their heads.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    For anyone who thinks walking is not a form of exercise . . .

oxb8cbz

^ this.

every soldier who has ever marched 20 miles is in agreement.

every postal deliveryman who walks his route delivering mail is in agreement.

every cop who walked a beat is in agreement.

etc.

walking is actually one of the best exercises. people can walk longer and further than they can run and they can avoid many of the common injuries that runners face.

one can burn quite a lot of calories on long walks (and hikes).

anybody who makes their living on their feet all day can well attest to how many extra calories they burn.

there is also a 10,000 step movement of people (and doctors and researchers) who believe that walking 10K or more steps a day strongly correlates to longevity and quality of life late into life.

in many ways, walking is the perfect exercise for humans because we have been designed for it.

I like walking, but it's harder on your feet than running is (believe it or not). And I read an interesting article that stated humans are built for running. Large glutes, and large achilles tendons (amongst many other attributes).

I started with walking, but got bored and wanted to get it over with faster. That's when the running came in. :)

Here is the Nature article:

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/krigbaum/proseminar/Bramble_Leib_2004_nature.pdf

running gives me shin splints and i've turned my ankles a bunch of times running. i used to force myself to run when i was younger (in my 20's and 30's) and hated every minute of it. i even hated it when i had to do it for football and baseball (not during the games of course). i never ran more than 2-3 miles at a time for exercise. now that i walk, i can go for much longer distances and much larger burns. my usual daily walk (when i do it) is 8.5 or 9.7 miles at a comfortable pace.
  • darknight13
    Options
    Walking is a from of cardio, no matter how low level it may be for some folks. For those starting out walking is great and does help. So keep up the good work.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Of course!! It is great for you and if you ever get bored or want to amp it up later on there are tons of things you can do to up the intensity.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you walk fast enough it can be a good form of cardio. I can get on a treadmill or walk in very hilly terrain and get my heartrate into my target range.

I've found my FitBit to be a great walking motivator. For example yesterday I rode my recumbent bike for 45 min and burned 666 calories. I also walked a fair amount shopping and took a walk around the neighborhood. By the end of the day I'd burned another 443 calories (MFP FitBit adjustment) primarily from walking.

Walking might not help you build muscle definition, but it can help you burn calories and lose weight. If that is all you can or want to do at this point, go for it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You won't get abs from walking...

I got news for you honey--we're not all interested in "abs"
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between "activity" and "exercise". Activity is any sustained movement. Exercise is an activity performed at a sufficient intensity, frequency, and duration to increase physical fitness (muscle strength or VO2max).

All exercise is "activity" but not all "activity" is exercise.

An activity such as walking CAN be "exercise" if it is done at a sufficient intensity, frequency, and duration. Otherwise, it is not.

"Activities" burn calories too, and if performed with enough volume, can significantly contribute to a calorie deficit. So, one does not have to "exercise" in order to lose weight.

Activity can contribute to increased health benefits, even if it is not performed at an "exercise" threshold.

Walking, even at brisk speeds (i.e. 4.0-4.2 mph)on level ground is a relatively low-intensity activity. Because of that, for younger people, or after a beginning phase, it is often not enough of a stimulus to result in sustained fitness benefits (walking intensities range from 2-4.5 METs, which means that only those with a VO2max of 6-9 METs are likely to get fitness improvements from walking. Even an unfit person under 30 is likely to have a VO2max of 8-10 METs.

Someone who is obese will work harder than a lighter individual, even if both are walking the same speed. Hills can also make a substantial difference.

Bottom line, the answer to the OP question is "yes, but only if the intensity is > 50% of the person's VO2max". However, saying that walking at a particular speed is not "exercise" for a given individual does not in away diminish the benefits of activity--esp for someone just starting out.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

If you lose body fat, it doesn't really matter what you do to lose it. If you have the musculature, you will see the abs.

The OP was simply asking if she can log the calories of her walking that she just happened to do, so that she could eat a bit more calories.

And of course, seeing abs is not everyone's goal.
  • brianages
    Options
    It has worked well for me. I use runtastic.com and use their app to log distance, calories, and time. It works with mfp. I do 100 miles per month and have fun.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Honey? Stop flirting. There's a perfectly good place for that but it's not on here...
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    What? Please.... walking is ONE of the best exercises out there. The amount you burn will depend on how fast you walk and how much you weight.
    It may not be the best for certain things, but it really is a good way to burn calories. Continue walking, you'll like yourself for it
    [/quote] This
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    for a 200lb person,

a 5 mile walk at an average pace burns about 530 calories

a 5 mile run at an average pace burns about 790 calories

they are both workouts, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

So the difference between a run and a (brisk) walk of the same distance is the calories of an average cookie? Hey, I'm going for the walk!
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Walking is Cardio and it is a great workout for everybody . I found out that walking my HR reaches 188 while even doing insanity can't go up there... Find your limits then you will see that as soon as your body gets used to it you can increase speed until you can incorporate even some running..
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    There's other things you can that will be faster and more efficient...like sleeping...

but if you're burning cals, might as well log it

I don't understand why you are so dismissive? Not everyone is suited to the gym and might need something free, outdoors and easy to fit into their new lifestyle.. Walking is the only exercise I have done along with calorie counting and at 100 cals per mile burn when I was heavier it was well worth it. For fast walks see Leslie Sansone on youtube. I really enjoy incorporating into my daily routine now and I was right couch potato.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    for a 200lb person,

a 5 mile walk at an average pace burns about 530 calories

a 5 mile run at an average pace burns about 790 calories

they are both workouts, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

So the difference between a run and a (brisk) walk of the same distance is the calories of an average cookie? Hey, I'm going for the walk!

Nope it not a cookie it is the afterburn.. more the intensity and greater will be the calories burned in the afterburn effect.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    You are joking right? Of course its cardio, you can even log it too!

tumblr_myfj47Oapm1qewacoo1_500.gif
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Anyway,,,, to some of you acting all snobbish and s*** !

Yes walking vigorously, fast paced, up hills, distance, and you may even skip every so often, or carry hand weights, to up intensity is cardio activity and you will lose weight!

Always research stuff out and do not take what any of us says at face value.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Honey? Stop flirting. There's a perfectly good place for that but it's not on here...

Not flirting, I just think that the fixation on "abs" especially by the "guys" is a bit much. They don't turn me on a bit. My husband is a walker and we walk for hours--he has a great bod.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you want to feel good about walking, or any other form of activity, go to YouTube and look for a video called 23 1/2 hours.