Low Carb, Paleo. Is this nonsense or science?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Screwed up editing and got duplicate posts.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Edited screw up number 2.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I thought it was quite clear he was interested in the scientific research (if any) that has been done and opinions on that. How that leads to being close minded, I admit I'm baffled.

That makes 2 of us. His question was clear as a bell from the opening post. It seems that some have some kind of perceptual handicap in that they have to answer with what they think instead of evidence based on research. That would explain a lot of the nonsense on these boards.
    Um, I wasn't going to reply to your nonsense, but he said in his original post he said he didn't want a bunch of opinions. Go figure, that's exactly what he's getting.

Lol! Are you and logic ever more than casual acquaintances?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Not worth it.
  • MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

The stuff grown today is pretty much toxic to all living creatures.

:smile: Do you really believe that last sentence? I can show you livestock and wildlife that not only survive but thrive eating modern cereal grains. Whole grain foodstuffs are very nutritious and certainly can be safely consumed by humans. I believe your information sources are selling a concept that is not supportable by science.

Yes, I do. Cows nor chickens are thriving eat grains they were never intended to eat. They are toxic to them and it is passed on to us through their meat, milk and the eggs.

Feeding livestock grains is not for their health. It is merely to fatten them up faster to send to the slaughter in the factory farming system.

[/quote]

I have a Phd in Animal Science, 31 yrs experience in the dairy industry, and have formulated hundreds of diets for dairy cattle. I can assure you that your comments are totally wrong. Cows can digest grain and perform very well consuming a properly balanced diet. Cereal grains are not toxic to the animal nor do they cause "toxic products" in milk as the result of consuming grains.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The issue with those weight loss studies is that lower carb diets reduce water weight which will lower your total body weight. I don't think weight is a good indicator in these types of studies. I do agree though that protein is most thermogenic . You use more calories to digest protein. It does burn more calories, so very possible and likely you can take advantage of thermogenesis.

It depends on which style of paleo you're using. Are you using mostly protein? (increased thermogensis) or moderate protein higher fat (atkins style). The later would result in a lower thermogenic effect.

wha? no, that's not the issue. yeah, the short term loss is water weight on the keto diet but that doesn't really figure into anything. The keto diet changes the way your body burns energy from glucose to ketones (Fat) it's still about calorie deficit. the studies show that over all people on low carb diets lose weight and lose less muscle they also reduce hunger cravings.

some people do very well on keto diets and it's too restrictive for others. Sweden now recommends this kind of diet above all others. it also is shown to reduce cholesterol and insulin resistance.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    This is 50 pages long from Alan Agaron

The Paleo Diet : Claims vs Evidence

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NSCA/Inactive_Content/Program_Books/PTC_2013_Program_Book/Aragon.pdf

Paleo site interviewing Alan

http://paleomovement.com/alan-aragon-paleo-critic/

This is what I was looking for.

Thanks. Awesome!
    Alans great, but he certainly put his slant (bias) on this which is acceptable for this purpose.....everyone does it.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    This is the best I can find on Sweden recommending a LCHF diet:
    http://www.sbu.se/upload/Publikationer/Content1/1/Diets_among_obese_individuals.pdf
    (it's in english)
    They have the full review of literature published also...in Swedish. Generally only references to this study outside of the literature is a press release by Atkins.

Note that in this summary it states that giving nutrition advice for someone to lose weight over the short term (>6 months) the ADVICE to follow a LCHF diet is more effective. Over an extended period, there is no difference.
  • klukasik
    klukasik Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At first it lowers water weight, however, they do start burning fat after the first week. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months on Atkins (stayed on the introductory phase and I did not count calories). I was 4'11 and 152 lbs, I dropped down to 118. People say you gain it back. Only if you start eating badly like you were before. However, you don't have to stay on this plan. I went onto normal eating and kept all of the weight off for 2 years (not counting carbs etc). Then I quit smoking in April and I have gained 10 lbs from over eating. So yes you gain it back if you start eating bad again, but otherwise, you can go off of a low carb diet to a normal diet and keep it off.

Also I went from pre-diabetic to normal blood sugar levels, and lowered my cholesterol and blood pressure. It did great for me. I did a mix of lean meats and fatty meats. You don't' want to eliminate all fat because you need it when you restrict carbs. But you don't want to only eat bacon either.

- My personal experience. Not sure if this diet is the same as atkins, but it sounds similar.
  • klukasik
    klukasik Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Completely 100% agree with you. I had great benefits from it. I noted them above. But you are absolutely right about ketosis.

"Ketosis for weight loss If the body can switch from being a carb-burning machine to a fat-burning one, it loses weight.

We store our fat, sometimes in undesirable places, such as our hips, buttocks, tops of thighs and our tummy. Carbohydrates cannot be stored like fat can.

If our body is in carb-burning mode, we eat when carbohydrate levels drop in order to get our energy.

To reach ketosis, the body must be on a high fat/protein and low carbohydrate diet. According to some organizations and experts, such as Dr. Atkins, with proper monitoring (urine dip stick, for example), levels of ketosis can be kept within safe limits and the dieter can reach his/her ideal body weight without suffering unbearable hunger." ----Written by Christian Nordqvist
    Copyright: Medical News Today
    Not to be reproduced without the permission of Medical News Today.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Jerry, of all the stuff I've seen out there, that DrDiet site is one of the more interesting ones I found. I'm personally heading towards a LCHF diet. In all the stuff I read, It's the one that seems to make the most sense for me only because I'd like to swim long distances w/o feeding often and avoid bonking and GI distress. A number of marathon athletes, especially in the tri community, have become or are contemplating becoming what they call ketone-adapted. Becoming ketone-adapted seems to do the trick with the huge possible benefit of losing weight. I won't lie, I don't know much on the topic yet and it's going to be a self-experiment. I have a long way to go before understanding how it works; from what I read, it seems a highly personal experience. People seem to respond differently and have to work on balancing the nutrients/minerals to ensure that they are doing stuff correctly (magnesium, salt intake etc.) and that the experience of going through ketosis doesn t become extremely uncomfortable or a health challenge.

Dr Attia, a legit MD from the San Diego area, as well as an accomplished athlete --he's among others, a marathon swimmer, that's one of the ways I became aware of him -- Dr Attia went through a rigorous LCHF diet and did a ton of self-experimentation along the way. He no longer has a regular practice but does consult individuals for a lot of money. He writes and gathered lots of interesting info on his blog, which I admit, I have a hard time comprehending but I nevertheless try, sometimes asking translation from science/doc folks I know. Check it out: http://eatingacademy.com/start-here

He is also involved in orchestrating research on LCHF diet: http://nusi.org/the-science/why-nusi/#.UrtGbtiA3IU

There are 2 books he recommends reading (I have yet to read them!):
    Why We Get Fat, Gary Taubes
    Good Calories, Bad Calories, Gary Taubes

Gary Taubes is a partner in the NUSI initiative.

So, to answer your question, at this point, I really don't know. But I'm learning more every day. All I can say is the LCHF diet is the one, as a European, that I am most familiar with, except that the version I experienced growing up, is closer to a nutrient-rich-carb (veggies) and medium fat (select meat and oils) version. One thing is for sure: you'll have to read all that info opening your mind to other beliefs you may have now, including the theory that a successful diet is simply the exercise of eating less than the energy we expand (deficit). I know it's been a challenge with me. But what I'm reading so far is compelling.

Please share your thoughts as you discover stuff and as months go by. I surely will.

PS: I know nothing about Paleo so all I said above is mainly about LCHF

I just went to this website you posted: eatingacademy.com and I can't get off of it. I've been reading it for about an hour now! Thanks so much!! :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    here is what I will say….they lost weight because they used paleo, low carb, whatever to create a calorie deficit…

Paloe, IF, Low Carb, etc are not magical ways to lose weight..they are just a tool to create a calorie deficit to lose weight..

you can eat high carb/non paleo, and lose weight…

calories in vs calories out...

This isn't about losing weight.

It's not? The link you posted referenced losing weight..

Imho paleontology and low carb is bunk

No. It's about optimum health and proper nutrition.

i don't see how low carb or paleo promote optimum health and proper nutrition...

I mostly was asking about the research, not opinions. I don't mean to sound rude. I just wanted very specific information based upon the website and the research it sites.
    Well, shoot, opinions are pretty darned important because they are often based on personal knowledge or other research on the same subject.

Nope. Not true. Too many people here on MFP are anti low carb and anti Paleo. I was attempting to not get into that side of it by asking people to just stick to the research. Very few people did, but some did, and helped me gain some knowledge. The problem with people's opinions is that I don't know how true they are. If you say you ate Paleo for 6 months and dropped 12 lbs and 3% body fat. Ok. But, that's a sample of one. It's meaningless. There are too many other factors. In a controlled study, they would look at the diets of a group of people. There would be separate groups, one eating Paleo, one eating normal, and then maybe another eating low fat or something. Then you compare the groups and come up with your findings. As I'm hearing this, there is no conclusive research on this specific topic with controlled groups. But, they may have started some testing on pigs, as I understand it. So, I guess it's too early.

If as an individual, you find that eating a certain way provides benefits over eating other ways, then have at it. But, this thread was really not intended to be about people's bias or opinion, but rather I was specifically asking about the research I cited in my original post. Or, if there's other research that specifies the benefits of low carb or Paleo eating. Apparently, what I am hearing, is this does not exist right now.
    Oh for goodness sake. I just don't know what to say to this. :smile:

Good. Then I made my point. I didn't post here for opinions. From your post count, it looks like you post a bit, but I've never seen you here. I'm here a lot. This isn't a low carb debate. I'm asking specific question of the research, not people's opinion on if low carb works. Is that difficult? I'm trying to stave off all the anti low carb patriots here. This isn't about what anyone thinks or feels. It's about what the research suggests. I'm asking to discuss the research. Not how a bowl of rice makes your belly swell.
    Jerry,
    You've missed my point. You are adamant you are that opinion on the research in the link that you provided is not part of a good discussion. Why so closed minded?.

I thought it was quite clear he was interested in the scientific research (if any) that has been done and opinions on that. How that leads to being close minded, I admit I'm baffled.

That makes 2 of us. His question was clear as a bell from the opening post. It seems that some have some kind of perceptual handicap in that they have to answer with what they think instead of evidence based on research. That would explain a lot of the nonsense on these boards.
    Um, I wasn't going to reply to your nonsense, but he said in his original post he said he didn't want a bunch of opinions. Go figure, that's exactly what he's getting.

LOL!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Completely 100% agree with you. I had great benefits from it. I noted them above. But you are absolutely right about ketosis.

"Ketosis for weight loss If the body can switch from being a carb-burning machine to a fat-burning one, it loses weight.

We store our fat, sometimes in undesirable places, such as our hips, buttocks, tops of thighs and our tummy. Carbohydrates cannot be stored like fat can.

If our body is in carb-burning mode, we eat when carbohydrate levels drop in order to get our energy.

To reach ketosis, the body must be on a high fat/protein and low carbohydrate diet. According to some organizations and experts, such as Dr. Atkins, with proper monitoring (urine dip stick, for example), levels of ketosis can be kept within safe limits and the dieter can reach his/her ideal body weight without suffering unbearable hunger." ----Written by Christian Nordqvist

Well, this thread continues to deliver the lolz.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The issue with those weight loss studies is that lower carb diets reduce water weight which will lower your total body weight. I don't think weight is a good indicator in these types of studies. I do agree though that protein is most thermogenic . You use more calories to digest protein. It does burn more calories, so very possible and likely you can take advantage of thermogenesis.

It depends on which style of paleo you're using. Are you using mostly protein? (increased thermogensis) or moderate protein higher fat (atkins style). The later would result in a lower thermogenic effect.

wha? no, that's not the issue. yeah, the short term loss is water weight on the keto diet but that doesn't really figure into anything. The keto diet changes the way your body burns energy from glucose to ketones (Fat) it's still about calorie deficit. the studies show that over all people on low carb diets lose weight and lose less muscle they also reduce hunger cravings.

some people do very well on keto diets and it's too restrictive for others. Sweden now recommends this kind of diet above all others. it also is shown to reduce cholesterol and insulin resistance.
    False, false, and false again. Studies don't show low carb diets lose more weight overall, they only show short term faster weight loss (water weight.) Also, low carb diets usually show MORE lean mass loss, due to a combination of water, glycogen, and muscle loss. Sweden absolutely does NOT "recommend this kind of diet above all others." The dietary recommendations for Sweden are 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat. Sweden did acknowledge that a lowER carb diet is ok for weight loss, but even that recommendation was 40% carbs instead of 50%, nowhere near any definition of "low carb."
  • mmapags
    Options

Yes, the 2 you showed and the Taubes/ Attia post are pretty funny. Does anyone believe in real research instead of what they read in articles and books that have a commercial agenda??
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

What the what?

Here's a secret for you, the human body burns fat for energy 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even when you eat carbs. It IS a fat burning machine, always.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Yes, the 2 you showed and the Taubes/ Attia post are pretty funny. Does anyone believe in real research instead of what they read in articles and books that have a commercial agenda??

They haven't been educated about the difference IMO. The problem is, when you try and educate them as to the difference, it almost immediately devolves into an 'all toys out of the pram' type response.
  • mmapags
    Options

They haven't been educated about the difference IMO. The problem is, when you try and educate them as to the difference, it almost immediately devolves into an 'all toys out of the pram' type response.

Yup! Reminds me of an old saying my mother used to use, "Don't confuse me with the facts. I've got my mind made up!" lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    well I jumped back into this one and see that the derp is still strong in this thread…

I also see a lot of "opinions"…you all are now banned from this thread ..!! bahahahahaha
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    well I jumped back into this one and see that the derp is still strong in this thread…

I also see a lot of "opinions"…you all are now banned from this thread ..!! bahahahahaha
    :bigsmile: