Rowing machine vs. treadmill

To start out the new year with a bang, my husband and I are either going to invest in a treadmill or a rowing machine. He would prefer rowing machine. I have a serious lack of arm definition (re: flab), but I also want the best calorie burn possible. Please discuss.

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Neither will probably make much difference in terms of arm definition.
    The amount of calories you will burn off depends on the settings and how much effort you put into it.
    I'd go with a treadmill as it uses your whole body and doesn't impact your joints.
  • dustin807
    dustin807 Posts: 8 Member
    The rowing machine is superior to the treadmill in terms of efficiency.

When you are training for fat loss, you want to 1) build muscle and 2) increase your resting metabolic rate.

While neither of these machines are optimal for accomplishing this goal, the rowing machine is the more effective of the two.

The rowing machine is better adapted to strength training than a treadmill. The rowing machine involves more muscle groups than the treadmill (quads, calves, lower back, upper back, traps, biceps, forearms, abs to a lesser degree) so it will require more energy from more of your muscle groups, thereby burning more calories per hour.

Additionally, if you employ high intensity interval training with the rowing machine, you have a greater chance of increasing EPOC, which will burn more calories for a longer period of time.
  • If you go for the rowing machine, make sure to be fully educated about how to use it. Improper posture leads to injury much faster on the rowing machine as compared to a treadmill.
  • Jcolonel49
    Jcolonel49 Posts: 14 Member
    What's EPOC?
    And I'd vote rowing machine, you work more parts of your body on it, and if you don't live in a snow covered area, you could always walk or run outside, it's harder to find places to row.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    No form of exercise is inherently superior to all other forms of exercise. The effects of exercise training come primarily from HOW you do the exercise, not WHAT you do.

Rowing is as good a form of exercise as any other. Like all forms of exercise, it has its pluses and minuses. The main caveat in recommending rowing as an exercise to a non-rower is that rowing is a very specific exercise movement that has a somewhat longer learning curve than some other forms of exercise (e.g. running, walking, elliptical). So you need to have some confidence that you will enjoy the movement and be willing to learn the proper technique.

If you have tried it, or are confident that you will enjoy it, then by all means go for it. If not, the main exercise will be an exercise in frustration.

One cannot accomplish strength training and cardiovascular conditioning simultaneously doing the same movement. So any claims that one modality will result in "more strength training" than all others is false. The only "strength increases" that can occur during cardiovascular training are the limited initial adaptation to the movement. For someone who has done no resistance training, those initial gains might be noticeable, but they will quickly plateau--and one will not gain appreciable amounts of muscle doing cardiovascular exercise of any type.

Calorie burn is based on intensity of effort, not on the amount of muscle mass involved in the movement. In studies of Olympic-caliber athletes, rowers had an average VO2 max that was lower than cross-country skiers, distance runners, speed skaters, and cyclists (although they did score higher than weight lifters). This, however, could be a result of self-selection rather than any inherent limitations in rowing. (Not to mention that competitive rowers tend to weigh noticeably more than the most of the other types of athletes mentioned).

The amount of EPOC generated with exercise is determined by intensity and duration of the exercise, not on any particular modality, so rowing confers no advantage in this area either.

If you do decide to get a rowing machine, I would enthusiastically recommend that you spend the extra $$ on a Concept 2 ergometer. The machine itself is not only excellent, but there is a strong community centered around the "erg" and you will find lots of training resources.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    A lot of people buy machines that become coat racks, when the thrill wears off in couple of months. I would say forget about which burns more calories and focus on which one you don't mind doing month after month. Some women like rowing, but most women at my gym prefer the treadmill. If you've never rowed, get a day pass at a local gym and try one out for half an hour. First watch the videos on Concept2's website on how to row properly.

If you both aren't following a strength training program, there's another new year's resolution to consider.
  • I would choose the Concept2 over the treadmill any day...
    not only because I love rowing :) but also because one can jog-run pretty much anywhere....anytime..(okay not in the middle of a tsunami of course but..) but rowing out is more complicated- you need a lake or a river. then you need a boatshed, and a boat..and gear..and lifevest....the indoor rower makes it soooooo easy and one can get a pretty decent overall body workout on the indoor rower: great for your legs, your core and for the arm...
    I wish I could purchase an indoor rower for my balcony but I live in a complex and have to get owner's corporation approval. :(
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I would go for a treadmill. It will get you running which is then something you can transfer outdoors :-) At the end of the day though I would forget my (and everyone Else's) advise and buy the one you like and enjoy the most. You are hopefully going to be on it a lot of time and I think it is more important to get something you are going to enjoy using(so you will use it) rather than the "superior" one based on whatever criteria you set which may just sitt in your kitchen as a cloths horse because you psychologically cant bring yourself to use it :-)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    A lot of people buy machines that become coat racks, when the thrill wears off in couple of months. I would say forget about which burns more calories and focus on which one you don't mind doing month after month. Some women like rowing, but most women at my gym prefer the treadmill. If you've never rowed, get a day pass at a local gym and try one out for half an hour. First watch the videos on Concept2's website on how to row properly.

If you both aren't following a strength training program, there's another new year's resolution to consider.

sorry didnt see this one before I posted
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    I do quite a lot of cardio at the gym and I use the treadmill and the rowing machine.
    I can achieve a higher calorie/hour burn (>1000 calories/hour) on the rowing machine but I can't keep that up for a long period of time, on the other hand I can run for an hour on the treadmill burning >600 calories/hour. I do cardio purely to maintain a calorie deficit while I'm losing weight but it has definitely built up muscles in my arms and legs over the six months I've been exercising.
    I think if I was making the investment I'd probably go with an elliptical trainer, low impact and works multiple muscle groups, but perhaps you should join a gym for a couple of months first just to make sure that you make a choice that you'll both be happy with?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    I would choose the Concept2 over the treadmill any day...
    not only because I love rowing :) but also because one can jog-run pretty much anywhere....anytime..(okay not in the middle of a tsunami of course but..) but rowing out is more complicated- you need a lake or a river. then you need a boatshed, and a boat..and gear..and lifevest....the indoor rower makes it soooooo easy and one can get a pretty decent overall body workout on the indoor rower: great for your legs, your core and for the arm...
    I wish I could purchase an indoor rower for my balcony but I live in a complex and have to get owner's corporation approval. :(

This is pretty much my logic, as well.

I actually own both a rowing machine and treadmill, but if I could only have one, it would be a rowing machine because I can go outside and run. Obtaining a boat and a body of water upon which to exercise is a little more difficult (even back when I was living five minutes away from the coast). Plus, I do like that it incorporates more muscle groups across my whole body than just running and it doesn't bother my joints as much, either. The main reason I have a treadmill, too, is that I have to pass a run test for my job, so I have it on hand in case something happens that prevents me from going outside to run.
  • the indoor rower is much easier on joints - assuming you have a decent rowing technique and trust me I see plenty of awful techniques in the gym. Running is hard on the knee, hip joints - when you land you land with 3-5x of your body weight - that is hard. With the rower you are seated so no such impact.

Yep the rower burns more calories and one usually cannot keep it up for a long time - it is extremly hard to row 30mins nonstop with the same decent speed and strength - whilst it is much easier to do this on the treadmill. I think if one is time poor then the indoor rower is an excellent choice - I row 2000m in less then 8mins and I need a break :) do that 2 times a day...4000m...in less than 20mins and worked both my legs, my core and my arms....I am happy :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Neither will probably make much difference in terms of arm definition.
    The amount of calories you will burn off depends on the settings and how much effort you put into it.
    I'd go with a treadmill as it uses your whole body and doesn't impact your joints.

How can the treadmill not impact your joints?

I use both the treadmill and the rower. Because of joint problems I have to take breaks from the treadmill due to the pounding on my hips and knees. So far the rower...as long as I keep proper form...has never affected me since I am seated.

Both have their good and bad points depending on your body condition. I love to row...I can get in a rhythm and zone out for a while.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Rowing uses far more muscles than running but please get your form sorted if you follow that route - so many people row badly and end up hurting themselves or getting nothing out of it because they are flopping about like a stranded fish.....

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/muscles-used

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

But in the end no exercise machine "works" if you don't use it so enjoyment is a huge factor.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    To start out the new year with a bang, my husband and I are either going to invest in a treadmill or a rowing machine. He would prefer rowing machine. I have a serious lack of arm definition (re: flab), but I also want the best calorie burn possible. Please discuss.

A rowing machine is a whole body exercise, that gives a degree of resistance training as well as a CV effect. That said the rate of calorie burn is much lower, and it's more challenging to lift the heart rate up. With a rowing machine you can complement that by going out running in the real world rather than staring at a wall for an hour at a time. The rowing machine is much lower impact than running, even on a treadmill, so you can train more frequently using it, with lower injury risk.

Personally I use a water rower and run.
  • Rowing uses far more muscles than running but please get your form sorted if you follow that route - so many people row badly and end up hurting themselves or getting nothing out of it because they are flopping about like a stranded fish.....

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/muscles-used

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

But in the end no exercise machine "works" if you don't use it so enjoyment is a huge factor.

I used to be a junior rower - I was taught the proper technique for years and years ..it comes natural to me - I end up completely in the zone and usually rowing my last 500m with my eyes closed :) which terrifies everyone in the gym who is glancing at me :) For me rowing is a very efficient cardio and resistance training and relaxation as well...but that is because I have the technique sorted :)
    However I see plenty of people doing themselves more damage than good when rowing...some people yank the cable like it will go further (it will not!) a dude even flaps it like a wave (what for?) and there are big bulky men who lean so far back on the finish that I am surprised they dont fall off...I see people who hunch over the equipment (pulling their shoulders up giving themselves back pain) I see people who just focus on jumping back and forth on the saddle but not pulling on the cable in the meantime..and there are the guys who treat the poor indoor rower as a weight machine and dont move their legs but just yank the cable....seriously so many things can be done poorly with the rower :( If someone has never done it before I really think they should talk to a trainer and get some tips as the technique here is VIP.

however if you get the technique right you will love the rower and it is amazingly efficient....especially on the your legs and arms (deltoid,, triceps ) and on the core. The rower is the most underrated fitness equipment in gyms - partially because it is sooo technique intensive..people regard running as a much "easier to learn" exercise (I disagree:)
  • and one more thing....if you get a Concept2 rower it is most likely to have a built in game! :)
    You can play a "big fish eats small fish but watch out as a shark might eat you" game whilst rowing :)
    it is not a high tech one but it is still something :) Things like that did not exist when I was rowing as a kid :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Treadmill a waste of money. You (most probably) have running space outside.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I've had both but didn't keep the rower long because I sit for work all day and found I missed being upright for my exercise. Also the treadmill feels more versatile because I can use it at walking pace and read or work on the computer.
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Wow, I'm so appreciative of all the responses! Thank you. I live in Northwest Ohio, and I have an infant. All summer and fall we went on stroller jogs for my cardio - and we both loved it. :) We are really, really, missing our stroller jogs, but it's just too cold and snowy. We live in the country, so our road is not often plowed either. I will definitely resume the outdoor running in the spring.

It turns out we are being given a stepper by my mother. I don't know the brand or type yet. I hope it will at least suffice for getting my cardio in through the winter. We may still purchase something ourselves (treadmill or rower - though at this point - probably rower), so I appreciate the insight from everyone.