does eating protein cause horrible gas?

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    I don't know about the protein thing, but if you chew alot of sugarfree gum, that causes horrible gas, if you don't believe me ask my wife, she suffers cause I love sugar free gum.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Turkey. Oh dear what turkey does to me! And turkey chili is just wicked!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Too Much Protein & Gas
    1 Comments
    Jul 26, 2011 | By Carly Schuna
    Too Much Protein & Gas Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images

Gas isn't always caused by eating a plateful of beans or having food that doesn't agree with you. In some cases, the diet plan you follow can make gas and other digestive problems more likely to occur. That can happen with high-protein diets in particular, since they often exclude or limit foods that encourage healthy and efficient digestion.
    Causes

Both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber play important roles in the digestive process, according to MayoClinic.com. The problem, however, is that a protein-rich diet has little to no room for so many high-fiber foods. Such eating plans often call for limiting amounts of fruits, vegetables and grains in favor of dairy, meat and plant-based proteins. That imbalance can eventually result in digestive issues including gas, bloating and related symptoms. You might also notice gas if you're regularly eating a certain protein-rich food to which you have an intolerance or an allergy, such as whey or soy protein.
    FL Hospital Colorectal Advanced Outpatient Treatment Options for Colon Surgery. See Site www.FloridaHospitalEast.com
    Sponsored Links
    Risks

If you're experiencing chronic gas as a result of consuming too much protein, you may also be putting your health at greater risk. American Council on Exercise scientist Cedric X. Bryant points out that eating protein in excess of your body's needs can produce fat gain, dehydration or calcium loss, which is particularly dangerous for women. MayoClinic.com dietitian Katherine Zeratsky also remarks that high-protein diets can raise risks of constipation, diverticulitis, liver and kidney problems, cancer or heart disease.
    Remedies

Making simple adjustments to your diet may be all you need to get rid of gas. MayoClinic.com recommends getting a maximum of 175 g protein daily and getting at least 45 percent of your calories from carbohydrates, so try shifting the balance of what you eat to fall within those parameters. The clinic also recommends eating more slowly at mealtimes, taking measures to reduce stress in your life whenever possible and gradually bringing more fiber in your diet instead of rapidly increasing it.
    Considerations

Following a high-protein diet can be healthy in the short term if you also eat some carbohydrates and healthy fats. Protein can be filling enough to help you curb your calorie consumption and steadily lose weight, and it can also help you build lean muscle mass when you combine it with regular strength training. However, the risks of eating too much protein aren't limited to occasional gas, so if you feel your diet is not balanced, speak with your physician about potentially adjusting it.
    The 4 Day IBS Remedy Stop the Bloating, Gas & Discomfort New Probiotics + Enzymes Solution 1-IBS-IrritableBowelSyndrome.com
    Become a Personal Trainer Financial Aid - 6 Month Program. Free Job Placement For Graduates! NPTIFitness.com/Personal-Trainer
    Trying to Get Lean? 20g Protein, 4g Non-Fiber Carbs. No Sugar Alcohols, No Trans Fats. www.QuestProteinBar.com
    Vanilla Protein Mix Great tasting vanilla protein. Make shakes, add to coffee & recipes. www.UNJURY.com
    Sponsored Links
    References

MayoClinic.com; High-Protein Diets - Are They Safe?; Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.; June 19, 2010
    MayoClinic.com; Dietary Fiber - Essential for a Healthy Diet; November 19, 2009
    ACEFitness.org; Are There Any Risks Associated with Excess Protein Consumption?; Cedric X. Bryant; 1999
    MayoClinic.com; Bloating, Belching and Intestinal Gas - How to Avoid Them; April 23, 2011
    MayoClinic.com; Healthy Diet - End the Guesswork with These Nutrition Guidelines; February 22, 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/501648-too-much-protein-gas/#ixzz1jUDxpeiw
  • Blue71
    Blue71 Posts: 28 Member
    Probably the salad & fiber. For me, increasing protein has eliminated this problem. Also, avoiding super high fiber veggies & grains helps a wicked lot.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Too Much Protein & Gas
    1 Comments
    Jul 26, 2011 | By Carly Schuna
    Too Much Protein & Gas Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images

Gas isn't always caused by eating a plateful of beans or having food that doesn't agree with you. In some cases, the diet plan you follow can make gas and other digestive problems more likely to occur. That can happen with high-protein diets in particular, since they often exclude or limit foods that encourage healthy and efficient digestion.
    Causes

Both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber play important roles in the digestive process, according to MayoClinic.com. The problem, however, is that a protein-rich diet has little to no room for so many high-fiber foods. Such eating plans often call for limiting amounts of fruits, vegetables and grains in favor of dairy, meat and plant-based proteins. That imbalance can eventually result in digestive issues including gas, bloating and related symptoms. You might also notice gas if you're regularly eating a certain protein-rich food to which you have an intolerance or an allergy, such as whey or soy protein.
    FL Hospital Colorectal Advanced Outpatient Treatment Options for Colon Surgery. See Site www.FloridaHospitalEast.com
    Sponsored Links
    Risks

If you're experiencing chronic gas as a result of consuming too much protein, you may also be putting your health at greater risk. American Council on Exercise scientist Cedric X. Bryant points out that eating protein in excess of your body's needs can produce fat gain, dehydration or calcium loss, which is particularly dangerous for women. MayoClinic.com dietitian Katherine Zeratsky also remarks that high-protein diets can raise risks of constipation, diverticulitis, liver and kidney problems, cancer or heart disease.
    Remedies

Making simple adjustments to your diet may be all you need to get rid of gas. MayoClinic.com recommends getting a maximum of 175 g protein daily and getting at least 45 percent of your calories from carbohydrates, so try shifting the balance of what you eat to fall within those parameters. The clinic also recommends eating more slowly at mealtimes, taking measures to reduce stress in your life whenever possible and gradually bringing more fiber in your diet instead of rapidly increasing it.
    Considerations

Following a high-protein diet can be healthy in the short term if you also eat some carbohydrates and healthy fats. Protein can be filling enough to help you curb your calorie consumption and steadily lose weight, and it can also help you build lean muscle mass when you combine it with regular strength training. However, the risks of eating too much protein aren't limited to occasional gas, so if you feel your diet is not balanced, speak with your physician about potentially adjusting it.
    The 4 Day IBS Remedy Stop the Bloating, Gas & Discomfort New Probiotics + Enzymes Solution 1-IBS-IrritableBowelSyndrome.com
    Become a Personal Trainer Financial Aid - 6 Month Program. Free Job Placement For Graduates! NPTIFitness.com/Personal-Trainer
    Trying to Get Lean? 20g Protein, 4g Non-Fiber Carbs. No Sugar Alcohols, No Trans Fats. www.QuestProteinBar.com
    Vanilla Protein Mix Great tasting vanilla protein. Make shakes, add to coffee & recipes. www.UNJURY.com
    Sponsored Links
    References

MayoClinic.com; High-Protein Diets - Are They Safe?; Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.; June 19, 2010
    MayoClinic.com; Dietary Fiber - Essential for a Healthy Diet; November 19, 2009
    ACEFitness.org; Are There Any Risks Associated with Excess Protein Consumption?; Cedric X. Bryant; 1999
    MayoClinic.com; Bloating, Belching and Intestinal Gas - How to Avoid Them; April 23, 2011
    MayoClinic.com; Healthy Diet - End the Guesswork with These Nutrition Guidelines; February 22, 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/501648-too-much-protein-gas/#ixzz1jUDxpeiw

THANKS!! I THINK I MAY HAVE TO LOOK INTO IT BECAUSE I HAVE OSTEO ALREADY AND THAT IS WHY I AM DOING STRENTH TRAINGING AND UPPING MY PROTEIN.. DANG, AFTER READING THIS IM AFRAID OF THE NOT JUST GAS BUT THE OTHER SIDES EFFECTS LISTED I DOTN NEED TO NOT ABSORB CALCIUM! OH WOW.. IT IS ALL SO CONFUING LOL
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    What did you eat exactly? Protein in and of itself has never caused me gas.. the only time was a specific protein powder but when I switched brands it stopped. So it was a specific ingredient in there, not the protein..
  • For the shorter version rather than reading some huge amount of whatever...

A lot of gas could be caused by a high protein/fat diet. The reason being that protein is primarily broken down in the stomach and fat is primarily broken down in the small intestine. Eating huge amounts of protein, which fat will follow because you cant get one without the other, may take your body more time to break down in the intestines. This could be the cause of more gas.
  • I've had some pretty bad bouts of gas myself and wondered the same thing. My poor husband tries desperately to keep the covers pressed down when it happens in bed. I really do feel bad for him... sort of. :laugh: Oh and it's really not cool when I'm doing yoga. :noway:
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    During the transition to a higher protein diet it sure can for some. I have been there. Your body should get used to it and adjust. Tons of broccoli has the same effect on me.
  • Try and spread your protein and fiber throughout your meals.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Try probiotics.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I love gas and **** threads. :bigsmile:
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Gas can be caused by whey proteins, egg whites that come in cartons, etc.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    For me, it's the fiber that gives me gas, but the meat that makes it smell. That's why a nice beef and bean chili is so dangerous!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    i second probiotics. typically excess gas comes from poor digestion, and the food just sitting in your stomach and fermenting - causing a gas build up that has to be released somehow. in some people this causes flatulence and in others acid reflux. best to get a handle on it in either case.

probiotics are essential.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    i'll third on the probiotics as I've had a good experience with this:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=654&prodid=872&cid=243

Not gone, but reduced alot.

Hope it helps.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Eat....more....fat

(Wish I could get this posted as neon, blinking lights)
  • tang0bird
    tang0bird Posts: 1 Member
    esso and texico give gass but in the short yes protein will give you gas! as for eat more fat???? only eat your daily amount . The average man should eat no more than 30g of saturated fat a day. The average woman should eat no more than 20g of saturated fat a day. if you have protein shakes it will happen more.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    I was told that girls don't fart... 28 years later I find out it's a lie.

The horror
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Haven't read the other posts, but I'd like to say that yes, it can cause gas to build up.

Whenever I eat my mother's husband's cooking, I often find myself in a lot of pain later in the evening and the following day. Mostly due to gas, but sometimes due to watery bowels as well. It's not that he's a horrible chef -- the food tastes AMAZING! -- but I think it has to do with my body not being accustomed to the heavier meats that he prefers to cook (beef and pork).

My guess is that it has something to do either with the native bacteria in your digestion tract, or the heaviness of the meat all together as it moves slower through the tract that fruits and vegetables.