Starting Running everyday

Options
Brandon_M
Brandon_M Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
If I weigh 230lbs right now and I run/walk for 25 mins every day.. Would that be worth it for excersising at all for me or what do you recommend?

Replies

• Brandon_M
    Options
    If I weigh 230lbs right now and I run/walk for 25 mins every day.. Would that be worth it for excersising at all for me or what do you recommend?
  • hannah
    hannah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh My Gosh it's wonderful keep it up before you know it you will be running even more,I started a few weeks ago and I really have loved it.I run with my head phones ,but not alone safer that way.I think the music helps keep me going . Don't give up ,one day at a time,I have not seen much weight loss yet ,but what I do see and feel is worth so much more. .My clothes fit better and I feel wonderful. Good luck and stay motivated ..........
  • Brandon_M
    Options
    Ok, Great. Thanks Hannah. I ran tonight for the first time and it felt good! I ran at night tho, because when I run in the day, I dont want people to really see me... How can I overcome this? mom is worried that I run at night.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Rottweiler. Great running pal. You know anyone who has a big dog that might let you borrow it - and you'll both get in shape!

CM
  • blkgvn
    blkgvn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You have to not let it bother you and not worry about people seeing you run. I use to be the same way and only run at night so no one would see me, I look at it this way, at least you are out there trying to get fit and healthy, while other people are sitting on the couch being couch potatoes. Its all about what YOU think, so the heck with other people. Sounds like you are starting off on the right foot, just remember to start off slow, maybe do a jog/walk, walk a block and jog a block and when you get in to the routine you can go a further distance. Good luck and if you stick to it, you will see results...... Since May 1st, I am down 37 pounds by walking or running or bicycleing 3 miles a day and 1500 calories a day. and If I can do it, anyone can..... :)
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You will build your confidence as you continue.
    You should give it a try.
    Go out as early as you can, there will be little traffic and it is so nice & quiet out.
    Start off walking, speed up your pace and then start running.
    I just started running myself. First time ever! And it feels soooo great.
    GIve it a shot and let me know.
    I'm here for you girl!! =)
    Best of luck sweetie!
  • janineswenson
    janineswenson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about being embarrassed. This is what I thought people were thinking everytime I tried to exercise at the gym, walk, run, or bicycle - "Who does she think she is? Are you kidding me, it's obvious she doesn't belong here. She's doesn't know what she's doing. Give it up! It's not working."

It takes a little success (seeing results) and little encouragement (tell someone that you're doing it) and a supportive partner helps (someone who believes in what your doing).

I agree with Mom about going out at night, but early in the morning is just as risky. I like what the other poster suggested about taking a dog. Or get an exercise partner. If you HAVE to go alone bring a whistle and a heavy cane or stick - to work out your arms and use to defend yourself, if needed. And hold your head up and make eye contact and say hello to everyone you see (that deters attackers). Sometimes attackers will hide behind bushes so swing poke at the bushes with the stick as you go by and be AWARE. Also, change your route often and let them ssomeone at home know what route you're taking that day. I also got an armband to carry my cell phone with me while I walk.

BTW: Those thoughts went away after I noticed that whenever I see anyone (no matter what size) walking, running, biking, I feel like we are on the same team and inside I'm encouraging them as they go by. Exercise is GOOD and it makes you FEEL good.

Janine
  • janineswenson
    janineswenson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also, my trainer recommend that you walk quickly for 30 -45 minutes to work out, but she says go every 3-4 times a week, then another type of work out the other days. If you go everyday, your body will just adjust to the walking and it won't burn the fat the way it's supposed to. Also, you should be doing about 3 miles in that time to get a good work out. Start at your own pace, then gradually (each time you go) start to pick it up a little more. Use a pedometer if you don't already.

HTH,
    Janine
This discussion has been closed.