Thinking about just giving up

Options

Replies

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    1. Give up Jenny Craig and do the necessary homework to buy healthy foods. It makes me suspect you are looking for a short term "magic bullet".
    2. Give up television. Exercise instead.
    3. Give up the idea that your dietary habits can exist as they did before. Do the homework and please don't post a "Can someone tell me how.. " thread. Google.com. Use it. It's your omniscient, intrusive, all-knowing friend.
    4. Give up on weighing yourself for a while. Focus on healthy eating.
    5. Give up slow suicide.
    6. Give up the idea that you are alone. We've all been there. That's why we are here.
    7. Give up feeling sorry for yourself. You deserve better.
    8. Give up the idea that you can ever go back to eating the way you did before.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I tried JC years ago and didn't lose weight eating it. For me the carbs are too high. I lose best if I keep my carbs below 100 daily. You may bot need to do that, but for me, lots of proteins, vegies and a small amount of carbs melts my weight away easier than anything!! 100 carbs a day is fairly generous and I tend to stay at between 80 and 90 when I am in 'losing mode'.

Another important aspect, are you drinking 8 glasses of plain water daily? It makes a huge difference!! Good luck and a very easy plan to follow is Weight Watchers, if you limit the fruit they consider unlimited. I don't see how unlimited fruit can fit into any diet where you are trying to lose weight?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You just arent trying hard enough obviously. Being in denial about what you eat probably. Stop bemoaning nature and be tough with yourself. I lost weight because I recorded everything I ate and burned off in MFP, from a dollop of ketchup to a cup of tea.

Dont go on Weightwatchers though, or the only pounds you will really lose are from your wallet.
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. I am as frustrated as you. I was hanging all summer around 145-148, I jumped up to 150's, I freaked, the harder I try the more I gain. So I got a fitbit to see if I am eating to much or to little. I am reevaluating my habits and food choices in hopes to see the scale go down. I have been exercising and doing everything right and today I was up 2.5 pounds. Now I am freaking I might hit 160. So I can't quit, I have to keep trying. So this next week I am removing carbs from my diet. Something got to give but it is not going to be me. Keep going. Oh and water weight can swing you a good 5 pounds up. :flowerforyou:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    You just arent trying hard enough obviously. Being in denial about what you eat probably. Stop bemoaning nature and be tough with yourself. I lost weight because I recorded everything I ate and burned off in MFP, from a dollop of ketchup to a cup of tea.

Dont go on Weightwatchers though, or the only pounds you will really lose are from your wallet.

How would you know that the OP isn't trying hard enough? Please be supportive instead of demeaning. It's of no help.
  • eldamiano
    Options

How would you know that the OP isn't trying hard enough? Please be supportive instead of demeaning. It's of no help.

It is not demeaning. So many people who are overweight spend most of their time 'trying so hard without results'. So unfair!

This concept doesnt exist. It is up to the person to be tough with their own selves without bemoaning so-called external factors which prevent them from losing weight. No excuses.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. Nobody ever succeeded by giving up, so that doesn't count as an actual plan.
    2. You say you're eating 1500 calories but your diary certainly doesn't reflect that. Quick adds is probably the #1 way to underestimate your calorie intake. By a long shot.
    3. Being frustrated is fine.....as long as you channel that energy into something productive. Well, after you smash something, anyway. I would suggest going outside and throwing your scale against a brick wall (because you're relying on it too much right now) and then, while still in a fit of rage, going on amazon and paying to have a food scale overnighted. And maybe getting some tupperware to put all your accurately counted food in.

Try that for a month and then see what the scale says. You may have to use a friend's scale
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    1. Nobody ever succeeded by giving up, so that doesn't count as an actual plan.
    2. You say you're eating 1500 calories but your diary certainly doesn't reflect that. Quick adds is probably the #1 way to underestimate your calorie intake. By a long shot.
    3. Being frustrated is fine.....as long as you channel that energy into something productive. Well, after you smash something, anyway. I would suggest going outside and throwing your scale against a brick wall (because you're relying on it too much right now) and then, while still in a fit of rage, going on amazon and paying to have a food scale overnighted. And maybe getting some tupperware to put all your accurately counted food in.

Try that for a month and then see what the scale says. You may have to use a friend's scale
    mz6VW9N.gif
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It is not demeaning. So many people who are overweight spend most of their time 'trying so hard without results'. So unfair!

This concept doesnt exist. It is up to the person to be tough with their own selves without bemoaning so-called external factors which prevent them from losing weight. No excuses.

Really? So what would you say to me? I've lost 116 pounds so far and am stuck with my weight loss. I've posted to ask for suggestions also. I work out regularly, I strength train, I count every calorie I eat yet, like the OP, the weight loss has stalled for a while.

Would you be demeaning and tell me I'm not doing enough or haven't done enough?

My point is that you don't inhabit our bodies nor do you have the same genetic make up. What worked for you may not work for the OP. So, instead of being critical and hasty in that criticism, try and actually understand what's going on from THE INDIVIDUAL'S perspective, not yours.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Really? So what would you say to me? I've lost 116 pounds so far and am stuck with my weight loss. I've posted to ask for suggestions also. I work out regularly, I strength train, I count every calorie I eat yet, like the OP, the weight loss has stalled for a while.

My point is that you don't inhabit our bodies nor do you have the same genetic make up. What worked for you may not work for the OP. So, instead of being critical and hasty in that criticism, try and actually understand what's going on from THE INDIVIDUAL'S perspective, not yours.

Why are you hijacking someone else's thread?
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Respectfully, despite everything that may or may not have hindered your success, nothing will stop it more quickly than giving up. Time, education, persistence...those three things are how we get where we're going.

h92678C98
  • eldamiano
    Options

Oh yes. Metabolism. Genetics. The classic excuses. 'My friend eats rubbish all day and is still slim but here is poor old me'.

If you had stopped before your last paragraph, then you would have hit the nail on the head. You lost all that weight through doing the maths, exercising, etc, while the OP hasnt. Or does his/her genetics vary to the extent that one person can lose 116lb whereas somebody else cant by playing the same game?

Heard it all before.
  • DavPul
    Options

Did THE INDIVIDUAL that created this thread ask you to hijack it with this unnecessary white knighting?
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ok, ok -- I'm NOT giving up. :-) Thank you for the kick in the butt about that, even to the one poster who was fairly harsh. Am I drinking water? Yes. I do cop to using crystal light sometimes. Does my JC food have sodium? YES. But, from 2007-2008, when I was on JC food exclusively and following their meal plan, I lost weight. And the food had sodium then, too. So, I don't know how to reconcile that one. Am I adding quick add calories? Yes. I actually usually overestimate those. Example: I might have a bite of my kid's mac-n-cheese, along with a bite of something else. I'm talking bites. So I'll throw in a quick add 100 cals to cover it. Have I had days where I overate? Yes. Should it have negated the prior 5 days of sticking to a calorie budget? I don't think so. But maybe, for me, it will.

All I can tell you is that being female, being up and down in weight your whole life, being thin, being obese and all shades in between, and being int hat lovely perimenopausal stage throws science out the window. I mean it. Unless you are male or genetically blessed, you understand what I mean.

Here's to a new week (again). Here's to getting my period and hoping the bloat/water weight resolves. And here's to posters on here who are kind, supportive, and understanding. :-)
  • amartin7889
    Options
    Ok, ok -- I'm NOT giving up. :-) Thank you for the kick in the butt about that, even to the one poster who was fairly harsh. Am I drinking water? Yes. I do cop to using crystal light sometimes. Does my JC food have sodium? YES. But, from 2007-2008, when I was on JC food exclusively and following their meal plan, I lost weight. And the food had sodium then, too. So, I don't know how to reconcile that one. Am I adding quick add calories? Yes. I actually usually overestimate those. Example: I might have a bite of my kid's mac-n-cheese, along with a bite of something else. I'm talking bites. So I'll throw in a quick add 100 cals to cover it. Have I had days where I overate? Yes. Should it have negated the prior 5 days of sticking to a calorie budget? I don't think so. But maybe, for me, it will.

All I can tell you is that being female, being up and down in weight your whole life, being thin, being obese and all shades in between, and being int hat lovely perimenopausal stage throws science out the window. I mean it. Unless you are male or genetically blessed, you understand what I mean.

Here's to a new week (again). Here's to getting my period and hoping the bloat/water weight resolves. And here's to posters on here who are kind, supportive, and understanding. :-)

You haven't mentioned anything about your exercise routine.
  • velrist
    velrist Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your pre-menstrual time is kicking your behind this month. Hang in there. I don't know anything about Jenny Craig but if you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight. My weight fluctuates by as much as 5 lbs over the course of a week but I only have it count on 1 day a week and those TOM days are going to be screwy including how you feel about everything.

Good luck!
  • DavPul
    Options

Generally speaking, when someone says that something used to work for them in the past but doesn't anymore, NEAT is the variable, not "metabolism slowing down with age". Increase your activity
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I started on November 24th and have seen positive results, here's what I did and continue to do. Not saying it will work for you but please hang in there.

Stopped eating Fast Food
    Stopped Drinking Soda and Energy Drinks
    Stopped eating processed foods
    Stopped eating Candy

Had a headache for about 10 days as a result...

Started drinking lots of water
    Starting eating fruits and veges
    Started taking One-a-Day's, Potassium and Iron
    Logged Diary everyday
    Weigh-in and measurements once a week, only once a week, same day, same time
    Started making foods from scratch
    Started exercising more each week

Again, hang in there.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Here are my suggestions:

You should really nail down accurate logging for a few weeks. Absolutely buy a food scale and use it on EVERYTHING. If you have a "bite" of something, weigh it before you eat it and figure out calories based on the weight of the whole dish. If that's too much bother, then don't eat it! Have something else that you can weigh and log accurately. You deserve good health and you deserve the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are on top of things and doing your best. Once you have done this for a few weeks, you may be able to "estimate" things here and there and still come out alright. But for now, clean up the accuracy of your logs as much as possible.

Log sodium, if you aren't already. Try to keep your sodium under 2500 generally, and if you've gone over, then don't weigh the next day, or expect to see water weight and don't let it bother you.

Make sure you are getting adequate protein and fats.

Don't undereat. Eat to your goal every day.

After several weeks of this, you *should* be on track. If not, you'll have more solid data from which to make adjustments.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What kind of veggies are you eating in unlimited amounts? Are they greens, or are they starchy like potatoes, squash, etc. I would suggest you measure them too.